1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    looking for some informed opinions, but I guess I’ll settle for just opinions as well.

In his press conference Tomlin said Shazier is a dynamic player so that several players have to replace him.

I heard that in some passing situations they put Fort in. They even used 7dbs with Sutton.

My question for those of you who watch the film - were these special packages effective?

What about the 3rd and long situations? Did they outsmart themselves by pulling Spence for someone else only to give up the first down again and again?

What would you like to see on 3rd down and long knowing we don’t have 50 playing?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You can't replace Shazier with any player currently on the Steelers roster. Other players just have to step up their game in order to limit the lost ground from him being out.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm going with Jack Lambert or James Harrison whoever is younger. Just goofing around. Can't wait until this weekend for some playoff football.

4. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    IMO it very hard to schematically replace 50. He is an all situation player, a jack of all trades guy. I think you can do some subbing to keep the type of speed and strength you want on a field, but i think that gets messy when a team goes to a no huddle offense against us. So I think you have to pick one guy to try to replace some of his skills, and the rest on teammates on the field will have to help pick up the slack. Obviously if we can on 3rd and long it would be nice to have a 7 DB set in the game, but if that situation arises and the correct personnel are not on the field you do not want a ILB out there that has 0 coverage capabilities. The 7 DB set works well unless Gronk is there. Do not know if Davis is a favorable match up for us, unless someone is over the top. If we have some one over the top of Gronk then we have to make darn sure Cooks doesn't get open down field. Him being on the IR really does cause some match up issues for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Mike Tomlin: “We are still working through our division of labor in terms of the replacement of Ryan Shazier and the multiple people that are involved in that and finding comfort with that labor. Whether it is individual people, L.J. Fort continuing to grow as a defender or different sub-packages, like we had a seven-defensive back sub-package with Cam Sutton in the game in different moments. We are still working through some things there and growing as a football team and in those areas.”

Tyler Matakevich has a lingering shoulder injury that keeps him as a special teams only player; if he gets snaps at ILB it will be due to injury.

Arthur Moats played some (19 of 54 snaps)against the Ravens and didn't look that good.

Sean Spence played the most in the last three games, and will continue to get the majority of snaps. L. J. Fort will contribute on obvious passing downs. The problem with Fort is his knowledge of the defense. Fort is faster than either Spence or Vince Williams. Keith Butler said this of Fort, “He moves well,” “He plays coverage well. He’s been in the system for a couple of years, so he kind of knows what we expect of him. He knows what we’re doing.” Fort looked lost at times against the Browns, but he also made an athletic play to knock down a pass.

Cam Sutton played three snaps against the Browns. I think he will play a larger role against the Patriots, if the two teams meet. Stopping the run and forcing Blake Bortles to beat them has to be the game plan, assuming the Jags beat the Bills. Sutton can help cover running backs, something Williams and Spence don't do very well.

One player who hasn't done much except for his lone start for an injured Mike Mitchell is J.J. Wilcox. With his size I would have though he could play a hybrid linebacker / safety role. He has made some blunders on special teams recently, but I think he should have been given a chance to show what he could do against the Browns.

I think the strategy will be to show a wide variety of personnel groupings and blitz packages. I just hope they don't confuse themselves more than the opponent.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would have thought this might be a possibility as well? I wonder why Wilcox doesn't get a shot?
    OR Maybe even have Gay at Safety and move Sean Davis into that role? I know you don't want to change things up too much, so what do I know?

Its a shame Dirty Red is not being considered for whatever reason, because his awareness on the field is above the line IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Need a Shaun Lee or Luke Kuechly

8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Perhaps more than you give yourself credit for, as they did exactly that last week

Check out the fourth gif
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...hrows-another-new-wrinkle-to-steelers-scheme/

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    By commitee as stated above by dd63.

Other than that, assuming he is still available, Roquan Smith is the closest and next best option in the draft.

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
  11. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Sure, but for the playoffs this year - how do they get a stop on 3rd and long?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Unfortunately we don’t have a replacement on the roster that’s going to replicate anything close to what Ryan Shazier could give us. In all likelihood the best option would be to find a LB in the draft or to trade Martavis for one.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure why Fort is not playing more? Has football become this specialized.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think sutton played less against the browns for the simple fact they wanted to keep him uninjured for the playoffs. i think we will see more of these sub packages with 7 DB's and also more of fort in certain situations. we should be tweeking all of this for the next 2 weeks in practice. as i said also in other threads, i'd see what hilton could do as a FS in some situations if we can find a slot man for his other duties. MT told him back in camp to learn both safety spots. the more looks we can throw at teams the better. :cool:

16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are just trying to piece it together. Spence is the best option at this point due to Red's injury. Although Spence is improving. Their is no replacement for Shaz. An ILB will be in the cards in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011

So, my take from reading that article is that Fort isn't good enough. Perhaps it's mental and not physical. Start with the Bengals game, once Dirty Red went out with an injury, Fort came in and you could see the loss of communication on defense. My guess is the uptick in plays versus Cleveland was to see what he had. In the article, it says he was on the field for when the team expected a pass—third down, usually third-and-long. Now think back to how many of those 3rd and long situations where the team gave up the first down and kept the drive moving. If I had to make a prediction, it would be that during the playoffs, especially if the game is close, we will not see Fort take as many snaps as he did versus Cleveland. He may not even see the number of snaps he did versus the Texans and Patriots.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't take that he's not good enough at all from that. we have better run stuffer types in dirty red and spence and vince but passing down wise he is far better than those 3. much better speed.

getting on the same page with the DB's in coverage situations (which is a work in progress even sorting those guys out) and trying to mesh him in with what shazier did in those situations is something they haven't had the time to work on during short weeks while they game plan.

with 2 weeks to work on it now, that should be plenty of time to mesh this process together somewhat. he is pretty good in coverage and he's pretty good blitzing the qb too. he may only have two sacks but he has shown very well in pressures and hits on the qb's over his time here. there is probably a fine line in his range compared to shaziers and thats where they have to mesh it with the DB's.:cool:

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's very sad, as they were building this defense all around Shazier and it was improving.

Back to the draft again, unless the can wiggle out some type of a great James Farrior type signing in FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I love what Hilton has brought to the defense when he rushes, however in coverage he has to be a liability simply because of his size. I believe he is the shortest player on the roster right now.

22. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Who only has two sacks?

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Trying to play the same defense with different players to replace shazier is dumb....

There has to be a schematic change as well.... Not necessarily an overhaul but this defense is predicated on shazier and his speed.... Mental and physical ...... His absence changes that!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This FTW.

You can't replace Shazier. You can only hope to plug the hole in the dam and hope it holds until we hoist # 7. Then address it in the offseason.

(Although I'm leary of changing schemes. At one time we all agreed that our defense was "not smart enough" to handle Lebeau's schemes - now we're asking them to change schemes at the 11th hour?)

25. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't believe they would change every scheme the team uses. This defense is adaptable. They put in new wrinkles every week. But changing the scheme on 3rd down might be worth consideration. The defense must get off the field on 3rd down in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1