1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rejoice! Camp is here, the 2018 Steeler journey begins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/25/pittsburgh-steelers-2018-training-camp-snapshot/

Some of the main storylines opening camp.

It really seems the team is overselling lack of communication on D as the culprit and, by far, as to their defensive woes. I mean, you _do_ realize the reporters are fed these themes by the coaches, right? I just can't help but wonder if the communication was so God-awful last season, why didn't they address it before we lost AT HOME to the Jags in the playoffs?

The Steelers cleaned house at the safety position this offseason, leaving only Sean Davis in place. Pittsburgh is hoping new additions like Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen and Nat Berhe can bring consistency and communication to a defense that suffered from a lack of both last season.

It really irks me that this team seems to fail to address weaknesses in a timely manner. NOW it's all about how terrible communication was last season. Hoodie would have corrected that at HALF TIME the first time it was a problem. Hopefully, it really was the culprit and the moves made will address it.

The rest of this article merely states the very most obvious, i.e. We need to find a way to get past Jags and Pats and we need to avoid injuries. Apparently it was written for people who just started following the Steelers yesterday.

I also read where someone said there is a pall over the camp from Bell being nowhere to be found. This is precisely why I said they should draft a RB high and just move on from this negative vibe. Such a shame.

But it is what it is. Good luck Steelers. Let's get #7.

2. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Antonio Brown showed up by helicopter lol

3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  4. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Tomlin seemed rather testy already. Annoyed by the LB questions and someone brought up Harrison calling out his favoritism and lack of discipline. Maybe this will finally light a fire. Let’s see!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Can't wait to see Mason Rudolph. 1st preseason game on August 8th against philly. Also the restructure of the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Couple camp battles I'll be interested in following...

RB - with Bell out, this leaves a lot of reps for Conner and everyone else. See if he has improved his pass pro. Also is there another Terrell Watson in the group, some guy who stands out in TC?

2nd QB - Jones is the odds on favorite but this should be a good battle all around. Dobbs is the forgotten guy here, let's see if he makes some noise.

I liked Keion Adams in the draft so I'm dying to see how he does this year for that OLB rotation. Intrigued by Matthew Thomas for the ILB group, it'd be nice if we found a diamond in the rough. He has the athleticism so it will just be a matter of holding up against NFL lineman.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    all in all I'm excited, regardless of my negativity

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This. Like to see Rudolph be the real deal.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Joshua Frazier is someone I am very bullish on; arguably my most anticipated player and Terrell Edmunds being a close second. Having Javon Hargrave is good but if extra muscle is required, I am hoping he makes a name for himself.

Regarding Edmunds, I cannot wait. I have not been this excited for a Steelers defensive rookie since Ryan Shazier. He has all the tools to be a valuable assest to the team. All that remains is consistency. Should he showcase that, this team will be on the right path.

Scheme wise? More "dimes". We have not had a player to do that since my avatar partrolled the secondary. With Edmunds, here is hoping we have found that "dime 'backer".

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It's a fabulous time of year: camps open, and PS games just around the corner. After the sports dearth, that occurs after NHL/NBA playoffs until now, it sure is a welcome sight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Does that look like a LB to you?

[​IMG]

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

What a cute question. :thumbs_up:

As of now though, Training Camp has started and my focus has been placated on that and only that.

I am DONE with consistent repetition of Terrell Edmund's capabilities.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Which one?:cool:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pull up a picture of shazier and it's pretty similar.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pretty close

[​IMG]

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    They're all about the same size.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I think they will be administering a medal of honor for the above. Congratulations.

Meanwhile, with camp starting, we will indeed have more data in order to continue the conversation, which is exciting and I can't wait.

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It would be great to have an immovable object in the middle, anchoring this D line, but I'm curious what your anticipation is based on. I can't find much info on this guy and very little game film.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You act like Edmunds is going to be a 3 down ILB, he's probably will just be a nickel and dime ILB and play some safety.

24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joshua-frazier?id=32462018-0002-5601-4414-b923e4e052f4

Strengths
    • Girthy with wide hips and thick calves
    • Showed willingness to work on his weight and get in better shape in the offseason which lead to additional playing time
    • Aggressive upfield push
    • Plus natural strength with desired power in his lower half
    • Able to eat blocks or play through a blocker's edge
    • Decent pop in his hands
    • Able to stack and shed as two-gapper
    Weaknesses
    • Never broke into regular rotation during his time in the program
    • Played in less than 18 percent of the defensive snaps over last two seasons
    • Production was minimal
    • Space taker over play-maker
    • Very gradual and plays at a lethargic pace
    • Rarely gains quick advantages
    • Offers no pass-rush potential

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks. I saw his draft profile when they drafted him, but that was about all I could find. I did see he was listed at 336 pounds coming out of high school.
    The Steelers are overdue for one of these project players to pan out.