1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Ward and Aaron Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Mar 2, 2012.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Im just venting here, but the news of these two being released (or soon to be released) has been a real eye opener to just how stupid and out of touch with reality the general fan is. Im not talking here on this MB, but on Facebook its painfully obvious. On my news feed, there are countless posts that include numerous insane statements such as:

The Rooneys are classless
    The Steelers are going to regret getting rid of Ward
    The Steelers are going to regret getting rid of Smith
    They Steelers are going to suck and win no more than 6 games this year
    Ben is a rapist
    Should have kept these 2 guys and gotten rid of Ben
    Im not longer a fan of the Steelers
    The Rooneys are cheap
    Whats wrong with the Rooneys
    Im so glad Im off the Steelers bandwagon
    If I was most of the other Steelers, I would leave too
    No more Super Bowls
    Kiss the next ring good-bye
    I dont know what is going on in the Rooneys head, but what they did to Ward was stupid
    Etc, etc, etc. The hits just keep comin.

And I know Im being politically incorrect and I mean no offense to the few women who post here, but 80% of these post are written by women. Its aggravating to read this garbage and I've respectfully replied to a few of them, but I have a policy of staying out of confrontations on Facebook. So here I am in relative semi-anonymity to vent.

Thanks for listening.

:hello:

2. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Every player eventually will have the game move past them and they'll have to move on to something else. It's inevitable. Both players may have a little left in the tank, but I can't see either lasting another year or so in the league. As sad as it is to see these stalwarts go, it was time.

3. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That pretty much explains it :lolol: I'm usually not the type of person to try and measure fan commitment as I think it's kinda silly because either you like a team or you don't but it's hard not to recognize that there is a huge amount of casual Steeler fans out there. You know the ones who read about a loss or victory the next day in the paper or on the internet versus folks like us on this board that watch every second of every game every year sucking up everything that happened like a sponge :lolol: This is why I used to chuckle at a lot of the BA posts where people would say ALL THE FANS want BA fired. Other than real Steeler fanatics like you find on this MB most so called fans didn't even know who the hell BA was.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's social media. It's constructed entirely for unfounded gut reactions that sit at an equal level with whatever reasoned responses there may be.

I've blocked the Steelers FB feed - partly because of I get to see games with a slight delay, so FB tells me too early what's happening, but also because of the embarrassing comments from other fans.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Heh heh, this is probably true. On the upside, it makes his police protection programme from Kevdude-scented firebombings easier.

6. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    There must be alot of women posting on here because all that
    Stuff is said on here.

What I find funny is Rooney is playing this thing perfectly, yet the fans still get upset and question him in that "I thought I knew you" type way. He kept this beloved bunch of steelers together until the tank was empty, now he's letting them walk because we need the money for young guys, and I'm glad because I don't want to watch them decline on the field any longer, and preserve my love of them for who they were.

But all this sadness of players lost, comes from people who never seem to care if we might lose a good young talent(Wallace as an example). Where that fan loyalty for the young guys? That's lost in all this Wallace talk. I love the guy he's one of my favorite players.

7. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Damn those ovaries. *snicker*

8. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why quit being a fan over aging releases. Why not just quit when Kirkland,Porter,Franco,Woodson,etc were released. Successful teams do this all the time...couple years ago..Patriots parted with Bruski,Harrison,Branch,Moss,etc...right back on top. The unsuccessful teams gooble up these ageless wonders. I'll take any money on the 6 win thing.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because what is being lost in BB's original post and the following responses is that for many newer fans, be they women, young people, the dreaded bandwagon types it is less about the franchise/team and its rich history and tradition and more about how they identify with a particular player. So while many of us have been through this before with players we liked slowly being replaced and we take solace in the fact that the team keeps chugging along, those that are invested in a player such as Ward or Smith take it harder and more personally. For them it is about what is being done to the player and the fact that the team can and will be what it has always been with out that favorite player is secondary.

10. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    In Aaron Smiths case, I believe that we have just witnessed is one of the best run stopping DE in Steelers history and we will not see another one like him for a long long long time. I've been defending him over the past three seasons to anyone who would listen about them resigning him but now is the time for him to get on with his lifes work. Its just not in the cards anymore for him to consistently give his all and then wind up injured after 7 games. I do believe he will retire a Steeler.

As for Hine Ward, Its been two and a half days since the news broke and I still have this knot in my stomach. I think I speak on behalf of a lot of Steelers fans and with this feeling as well. It's hard to swallow right now and when we see him in another Uniform it will be an even harder pill to swallow.

People do say stupid things when they become emotional but this is a topic for the NFL fan in general so you can see how much of an impact player he was for the Steelers.

I'm still in denial and hoping that some way, some how they will reconsider and try to give him one more season.

11. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers don't have a bandwagon. I've never seen one. BEING A STEELERS FAN IS A WAY OF LIFE!!

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    More surprising things have happened, I suppose. Though from one report - I think truckin posted it somehwere - it seemed that it was less money that was an issue and more roster space.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes. And some of these fans also expect to see their aging hero go out on top winning the superbowl in their hometown by playing the best game of their career and getting named SB MVP and all that happy horsecrap for their last hurrah. They see how the Bus ended his career on top and they think thats how their beloved hero should go out. But in reality, the Bus stories are rare and some of these guys refuse to admit when they have lost a step (or two) and can no longer contribute at a level that they once did. And unfortunately for those fans (and fortunately for those who want to see the team continue to be competitive) there are not a bunch of roster spots and salary $$ that can be held down on guys who can no longer contribute, just to say that they retired a Steelers on their own terms. It's a business. And like any other business, you would be wise to keep the people employed who give you the best opportunity for success and making money. The day has come for Hines, Smith, Foote, Hampton, Farrior to move on and I wish them the best. Time to reload and get #7.

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing as the OP here...I've seen the crap load of FB posts and even some here thinking the same thing. The one other thing that bothers me about the FB posts is the language some use. Now I'll be the first to admit I cuss, haha...however I'm not going to use it on FB that has billions of users and post something trashy like that on a FB page that alone has i dunno how many millions. People need to show some class on there and show we're better than these other organizations...plus theres a lot more younger kids on FB than say here for example....set the example for them and dont use language like that. I know a lot of the players FB's they tell them not to cuss/etc or they will be banned...to bad the Steelers FB doesnt do that. I dont mind the cussing here/etc...as this is a niche community so to speak...but on there where MILLIONS see it...no. Just like I choose not to cuss in front of my parents (even though I'm 28 and they're in their 60s)...but I do cuss around friends at times. Same thing here but in an online sense. SMH

15. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Jerry Rice was a Seahawk (maybe a Bronco) when he retired.
    When Joe Montana was a Chief, he said that he was rooting for the Chargers to win SB29, as they were the AFC team.
    Brett Favre led the Vikings to a sweep of the Packers.
    Emmitt Smith was an Arizona Cardinal when he retired.
    Michael Jordan's second comeback was with WASHINGTON.

Ward was a great player for us for a long time, and his career should (and probably won't) earn him a spot in the Hall of Fame. It also became clear last season that his ability to play had just about vanished. If that is not the case, perhaps he will end up having a few more productive season with another team, or he could play for us for a low price. If it is the case that he's done, I would want him as some kind of offensive assistant coach, presumably to coach the wide receivers.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Most fans that use social media are casual football fans
    that know nothing about football at all.

17. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not a fair statement. I use Twitter so I can follow players and get sports updates at a moments notice. I use Facebook to keep in touch of my very large family..works great!!

18. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I AM a woman.....I LOVE football. I grew up with a father and two brothers who are football fanatics ( Browns,sadly) and I DO know what I am talking about. When I speak of sadness at Hines leaving, I am not talking as a woman, just as a 35 year Steeler fan and a person with feelings. So sue me if I am upset about Hines being gone.