1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Referee accountability

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Jan 4, 2019.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Guess who IS going to the playoffs this year? Adrian Hill #29? and Scott Helverson #93. Don't know who they are? I'll give you a hint That would be the SJ and BJ from the Steelers vs Saints game who made the horrible PI calls on Haden. They'll both be in Dallas Sunday getting a playoff game check as a reward for their jobs well done this year.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Playoff check and cash under the table

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Doesn't appear to be any accountability save for the cat that got fired after the Browns and SD game I guess... Full on expected another similar move after the Pitt SD game and once that went crickets I knew the saints game wouldn't yield any further lashing.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Let the alignment begin. Patriots on their way.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You know the Zombie (Jerry) already has slipped some green to these jokers. What is the over/under in Jerry sightings during the Girls game?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I have always thought the referees who make bad calls need to be fined and media notified. No different than placing a fine on a player who had an illegal hit that wasn't caught. NFL sends out memos telling teams sorry for bad calls.....do more and fine those friggin guys. If they lose money, they will be at their best.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I see your point, but given how complicated the rules are, and they’re required to make split second decisions, I’d rather they were focused on that rather than whether calling it one way or the other will affect their pay check.

@rutan74 gave a really interesting account of ref accountability the other week. It doesn’t sound like bad calls are just ignored.

The one thing that’s odd is how they determined that one guy had to be got rid of, when there seemed to be equal offenders elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good lord :facepalm:

Those guys should be banned from even refereeing high school games.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Refs are humans and make mistakes. Who would replace the refs getting fired during the season? It can get worse. Anyone remember how the replacement refs did during the 2012 lock out?

Refs are always going to make bad and questionable calls. Just have to learn to live with them.

People here forgot that the Steelers benefited from some of the refs bad and questionable calls over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You're referencing two plays. Maybe they were the best among their peers over the course of the season.

1 play doesn't mean anything

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I am not saying that I haven't wanted some of these zebras heads explode like in Scanners for some of the BS calls but the NFL brass is why these zebras don't know what a call is and what a call isn't. To many ticky tack rules. The worst is pass interference followed by roughing the passer. And what do these rules favor? Bingo, the offense. All you fantasy geeks love these rules right?! Because that's why these rules have been changed.

Some teams are just penalty laden. Look at our team this year. Was the 3 game skid effected by penalties called. No. Now the Orleans game with the 2 pass interference calls on Haden were questionable but were not why they lost that game.

Sure the finger can be pointed on the inconsistency of calls. If you believe it's fixed then stop watching.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Cowboys vs Patriots confirmed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yep! I was telling a Colts fan.. There's no way they win because Colts winning would send the tougher match-up to NE. They agreed and knew something fishy was going on when they got calls and beat the Texans a few weeks before. Pretty much setting up the "playoff rematch" Kind of like how I knew something was up when they called penalties on the Pats and we actually won. Texans and Pats have ties. Pats could beat them playing bird box all week and during the game. Pats coast to AFCCG. Refs will be needed to get them to the Bowl for the Brady vs Brees match up but nothing they haven't done before.

15. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Are these two of the dozen or so “full time” NFL employees?

Is there a website dedicated to making these officials famous? Something that highlights missed or incorrect calls or ranks each crew?

16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ll take a Brady brees lol

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

If the Steelers can't be in it. I'd like one stress-free Super Bowl where I don't have to worry about some team tying us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Brees luck lol I meant brees over dak haha

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Football Zebras

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think I finally figured it out. You are JH. If I send you something will you sign it?

21. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Sounds good and all but I don't think you would have a lot of people chosing it as a profession if that was the case. Also I bet those that do decide to accept the job under those rules would quit the first time their pay check got docked.

22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    throwseat.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The modern NFL.

You suck and get a raise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I see your point but have a suggestion that could help overturn bad calls.You can’t have challenges on penalties which I understand, as it would prolong the game too much and they are judgement calls.The pass interference call can really change the outcome of a game,in which a handful of plays determine who wins or loses in today’s N.F.L. Being they are spot infractions and could give a team 50 yards on a pass interference call why doesn’t the N.F.L. give one opportunity per game for a coach to challenge one pass interference call from his two challenges he is allotted.That pass interference in the Saints game against Haden in the end zone would have been overturned in a heartbeat.Just a suggestion!

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Or any DPI that occurs in the end zone or results in >25 yards is booth-reviewed.

• Like Like x 2