1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Recent NFL Contracts - Wallace effect

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    So today they've announce Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster and Stevie Johnson have all come to terms on new contracts. I know two of those guys are RB's, but I would think this would be favorable to signing Wallace.

So:
    Lynch = 4 years 31m
    Foster = 5 years 43m
    Johnson = 5 years 36m

In each case, none of these studs is bringing home an average in the 9m range that the franchise tag would cost. So do you think these signings are favorable in re-signing Wallace?

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, I think Wallace is a better WR than Stevie Johnson, and he's getting in the neighborhood of $7M/yr.

I suspect the Steelers will sign wallalce ,but I'd guess it will have to be for at least $40m for 5 yr.

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Just to throw in a few stats from the past 2 seasons (both are 25 years old):
    Mike Wallace: 132 receptions for 2,582 yards and 18 TD's
    Steve Johnson: 158 receptions for 2,077 yards and 17 TD's

I was surprised how close the production was between the two, at least on the scoring end. I'd agree that if Wallace signs (here or elsewhere) it'll probably be in the 7.5-8.2m per year range. It would seem hard to justify going that much more than Steve Johnson in my opinion.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Steve Johnson is the man....I am glad too see him get paid....I guess I should also say he is a UK wildcat

5. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He was definitely the man that Sunday in November 2010 when he dropped that pass against us in OT!

I think while the stats are close, Wallace does more for our offense than Johnson does for the Bills and is a more valuable commodity. The Bills don't have a second WR who puts up stats which to me says that Johnson still is not commanding so much attention that other WRs can flourish in the passing game. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not looking at stats, but I think David Nelson was their #2 last year and he didn't put up a ton of yards.

So I agree with the earlier post that if Johnson is getting >$7M a year, it will probably take >$8M to keep Wallace. He is a gamechanger...he knows it, other teams know it, and the Steelers know it.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If I remember correctly, it was Jesus that dropped the pass. Or so Johnson claimed later.

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol: This is true

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers should offer Wallace a contract for like 5 years and 35 to 40 million.

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wow this really surprised me too.