1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic 2022 QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. Trubisky has had issues, but he also has the tools to be good, and has been good over long stretches of games. Did Gase’s coaching affect his confidence? Did Gase try to change him too much and try to change his style in a way that exposed his weaknesses instead of playing to his strengths? I just don’t know. I haven’t studied him at length. I know that back in 2017 I thought he was a bottom of the 1st round prospect that was over drafted at #2, but absolutely had franchise QB potential if developed properly. Out of the day 1 starter options out there that won’t cost an arm and a leg in draft picks, I like him the best. I don’t want to trade multiple 1st rounders for a vet. I don’t want to take a chance on when Winston could be ready. I think Trubisky was better in Chicago than Mariota was in Tennessee, and Trubisky has the advantage of historical availability. I have a lot more film to watch on college QBs, but as of today my preferred approach to QB for 2022 is to sign Trubisky to a deal that lets him prove what he’s got in 2022, and build elsewhere this year. If he doesn’t work out, you reset next year. To ensure that he doesn’t play one good year here and then jet in free agency, you try to do a contract that has a massive roster bonus for 2023 that you convert to a restructuring in 2023 to turn it into a multi year deal at a pay commensurate with a good QB.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    In fairness..... Our offense was equally inept all season, no matter the QB. Hard to expect any QB to just come in and turn that around in one game unless they are a legit superstar. I would almost guarantee that we add a QB this year either through FA or the draft. We all know (including the Steelers) that Mason is nothing more than a stop gap for this franchise. However, there are probably only a handful of QB's that would've been able to turn around last year's dumpster fire of an offense. Cant pin that all on Mason.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would it be beneficial for the steelers to go ahead with mason and haskins and see who drops to say round 3. maybe pick up a zappe then and go through the season with those 3 using the first 3 picks on ILB CB and an offensive lineman. then we have one at least in here with a year under his belt with a pretty decent showing in college and then in 2023 draft a first rounder if we can. it would allow us to keep the best of haskins and mason and have two future guys in place at that point not having to use this years top picks to find two qb's. nor having to spend a bunch on a trubisky or any other vet. mason and haskins are vets if we like it or not. they are in place for this year at least. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Only if you don’t want to compete for a postseason spot in 2022. I think we’ve seen enough of Rudolph and Haskins to say that our chances are very poor with either of them taking the reins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This is what I've been saying. Shore up the O-Line in rounds 1 and 2. Pick up a corner in round 3 and take Zappe in round 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Zappe isn't the answer at QB, might as well play Mason.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, i'm not sure with a rookie we would anyway and this way we can actually get two in the pipeline and take care of our other positions as well. best case scenario is we have two guys for the future to compete. maybe we do ok with mason for a year maybe we don't but i think we can be somewhat competitive with he and haskins for a year. maybe the new kid looks good in camp. either way we get at least a backup for the future and fix some problem area's. it's only a comp 3rd pick that we used anyway instead of a first. :cool:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he doesn't have to be the answer. we will still need backup qb's down the road and if by chance he does better then that we have only used a late 3rd or 4th or whatever we get as our comp pick. still a fairly quality qb that will get a year in the system before we use that first round pick on a qb. this way we have filled some other positions we need plus. it doesn't have to be zappe either. maybe kelly or purdy or crum. all of them are decent qb's and could end up being better then what we have in haskins or mason. maybe not. it would still fill a need and cost a lot less then any vet already out there. at least these guys would have upside with a year in the system. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m ok with the draft strategy, but not Rudolph or Haskins as 2022 starter. There are options out there that may not completely embarrass us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well not spending that money on a rental qb would free up that money for other needs. we are currently down 3 defensive backs. signing witherspoon will take some cash. hopefully an offensive tackle. a safety. maybe adams brought back. we could do this if we don't go after a qb. they are going to cost money. if we are drafting one this year and then going in on a first round qb next year we may have to play the cards we have and fix everywhere else before that. have these pieces in place for the first round qb. let them gel together for a year and hope for the best. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019

A bit on the short side.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was assuming he would be relatively cheap and only a short-term option.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have too many holes to use a mid round pick on a player like Zappe, he has no chance to play next season.

14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well those of you wanting Kenny Pickett may get your wish as his draft status is falling at the combine. Malik Willis is now considered by many as the top QB in this year's draft.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Dale Lolley said on his podcast over the weekend that he expects the team to make a move for Trubisky to take the pressure off at draft time. By all accounts the team favours him over the other free agents. We will see, there is a chance he follows Daboll to NYG to compete with Danny Dimes as well, he’d have a good chance of winning the starting job in either spot.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    There's still a lot of time between now and the draft, so who knows. I still say he goes top 15.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't see Him getting past 18. I see 4-5 teams that could take a shot at Him by the 18th pick. Including the 18th pick Saints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This some expert level trolling here, they slid Mason in over Baker :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So funny. LoL.

• Agree Agree x 1