1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic 2022 QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For me, nothing during that playoff run made me think for a second that Jimmy G is any better than what we already have. He's not exactly going to cost many games, but he's not going to win us games. He's simply a more seasoned Mason Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are overrating Rudolph. Garoppolo is better, mostly because he has a much better arm. He just doesn't make good decisions consistently enough. He would be an upgrade, but not worth the price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I don’t think he is the answer either. He looked like he could be plugged right into Canada’s offense as they needed chunks of yardage and he threw a few passes behind the line for 3 yards.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not overrating Mason. I just think Jimmy G is terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL Jimmy G is way better than Rudolph and Haskins, it's not even a conversation. Is he a guy you want to build a franchise around, probably not. Is he a guy that can get you to the playoffs and maybe win if everything falls right, yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Pat Mahomes threw a few of those as well. A lot of NFL offense have those plays.

That being said, the bubble screen is more of a carry over from pervious offenses the Steelers ran. If you go back and watch the Canada offenses he had in college, very few of those types of plays. Most screens went to the RB, and a lot of pass plays were to the TE over the middle.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph is worse. At least Garoppolo doesn't have a weak arm as well as a lack of mobility and an inability to handle pressure.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mahomes can throw those because he has Hill, Kelce, and Hardman. They are all explosive playmakers after the catch.

Yes, I'm aware one of those plays failed miserably yesterday, but they have the weapons to make them work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't care about his arm strength. What good is that strength when he's inaccurate as **** and makes horrendous decisions. I'd argue that his INT with a minute left was a great example of G's inability to handle pressure. I'd rather trade for a polar vortex in August than see that guy wear a Steelers uniform. I'd rather see a 48 year old Kordell Stewart. Hell I'd rather see Pittsburgh ripped apart by a 9.5 earthquake than see Jimmy G.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Jimmy G really needed to step up these past couple game.
    Defense won it in Dallas.
    Defense could have won it yesterday - Dropped pick.
    I was hoping Jimmy could have stepped it up as I think SF is moving on from him with Trey Lance in either case.
    He could have provided an option for a several teams, Pittsburgh being one.
    But I think he lost value. The only way you win with him is with a solid defense.

I think the market for QB's hinges on Rogers. He only wants to play for a winning team.
    The Raiders have made ripples - If they acquired him, then Carr is on the Market (This is a stupid move in my mind)
    If Tampa acquires Rogers, that's a net zero as they don't put any QB on the market.
    If SF acquires him, then Jimmy G hits the market anyway. (no surprise) They could sit on Lance for a year or two.

Then there's Watson.
    I wouldn't sign him to do dishes. But you can bet someone will.

Either way, this just scratches the surfaces a little. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve learned a bunch of new words on this board. Not one of which I could use in a conversation within the circle I run in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Would be fun 2 just stick the words in here ,or there ,and see if they are paying attention. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Still would like either Trubisky or Minshew...Both better than what we have imo, and won't cost us draft Capital...

Trubisky is really intriguing to me...Mobile with a strong arm...He was in that ****show in Chicago with Nagy, and not much around him, and I thought he got the shaft...

Maybe...You catch lightning in a bottle...If he doesn't pan out, you draft one ( you could just draft one next year regardless )

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Every once in a while I toss in e pluribus unum just for that reason. I generally get no reaction.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    US motto . People should know .

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My view on Jimmy G. is that he needs everything else around him to be just right. He needs a strong defense to keep the score down (with a little help from special teams too). He needs a strong running game to force the opponent to load up the box and make downfield throws easier. He needs excellent security-blanket receivers like Kittle and Samuel to catch contested passes and gain YAC. Is he better than what we currently have? Unquestionably yes. Is he good enough to trade draft picks to acquire him, and then pay him near-franchise QB pay? IMO no way. I don’t know what it’s going to take realistically to get him from the 49ers, but I’m guessing they’ll get at least 3rd round pick for him. Maybe better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I will not be surprised if the 49ers want a First Round Pick for him. In which case, the Steelers likely are not budging. However, I doubt the Steelers would be budging for Jimmy G anyways but due to a different reason.

Have someone else take him. Oddly enough and, I hate to play devil's advocate.... the Cleveland Browns may fit Jimmy G more than almost any other suitor. A run first team supported by an ascending strong defense? Granted, he will place the ball in harms way like Baker Mayfield but not nearly as much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Baker is the Browns QB next year. They're paying him $19M.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Minshew is under contract for 2022 at only $2.5 million. The Eagles aren't giving him away for nothing.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

True... however.. the Browns can play around with their cap space and draft capital a lot better than the Steelers could. In addition, Jimmy G to the Browns would be a better bet given the fact that Baker Mayfield is simply not that guy... at all. Jimmy G is but needs a lot of support. Luckily for him, the Browns have that and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The Steelers are ~ $31.3 mil with cap space which pans about to something like $28.3 mil effectively. (Rule of 51)
    They are carrying about $2.5 mil in dead money
    So overall, they are not in horrible shape.

I think they break out like:
    Offense: $62Mil
    Defense: $114 Mil
    Special Teams: $8Mil

So, they have on the rule of 51, spent some money on Defense.
    On Offense, they need to focus on the Offensive Line some more as any QB they get they need to keep his uniform clean.
    On Defense, LB is something I have circled. Depth and Improvement.

I think they have all their picks - I haven't yet done my homework there.

Update:
    Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

The Steelers traded their fourth-round selection in 2022 to the Dolphins in exchange for a 2021 fifth-round pick.

Pittsburgh traded their 2022 fifth-rounder to the Jets for LB Avery Williamson and a seventh-round selection.

Round 5 (projected compensatory)

The Steelers traded their sixth-round pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for LB Joe Schobert.

Round 6 (from Chiefs): The Steelers traded OLB Melvin Ingram to the Kansas City Chiefs, receiving this sixth-round pick (originally the Baltimore Ravens’) in exchange.

Round 7

Round 7 (from Jets): Acquired from the Jets in the Williamson trade.

They should get 2 comp picks... I think one is a third for Bud Dupree.. (Man I hated losing him)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Did not know that...Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  23. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I was thinking Howell might not be a terrible choice. Two years ago when he had 2 decent RB and 2 WR UNC had a very good explosive offense.
    I just don't know if any of this year's top QB are 1st round draft picks but I believe that Howell and Pickett are the best 2 not in any order

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cut Schobert, and Banner that would create more cap space, then maybe try to re-sign Banner at a lower price. Most reports say they won't get a 3rd for Dupree, because he didn't play enough snaps.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the Steelers draft Howell if he's there at #20, Colbert went to watch him play a few times last season, and Tomlin and Art II talked about wanting a QB with some mobility Howell certainly is mobile.

• Agree Agree x 1