1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Real options for Bryant situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Oct 24, 2017.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, we're all tired about the WR drama.
    But let's be realistic here: he's going nowhere anytime soon.

Not expecting a Nobel prize for this. And, IMHO, our FO has seen these scenarios:

1) Cut him. The Patriots grab him. Look how they use him to fuel their offense.
    2) Trade him for a conditional 5th rounder. Get nothing in return if he doesn't play X% of the teams snaps (or if he's suspended again).
    3) Leave him in the team. He's still under his rookie contract, has one more year to learn. Eventually, he'll make a couple of big plays this year. And those big plays will be enough for us to outbid options 1 & 2.

So, it seems that there are no real options about his contract status.
    Reality is, he needs to keep his opinions about his situation within the organization. Yes, the Steelers have been patient (maybee too much) with him, after not playing (who helps me?) about 20 games the past 2 seasons because of suspensions and injuries.
    On the other hand, he is just 1 1/2 years away of what we all saw of him, being a deep threat and a playmaker to this offense. He wants his opportunities. He feels he can contribute and shine.

The solution is in the coaching staff, and it's not only to throw him the football. It's to deal with his situation (which hasn't been easy for him the last year) honestly and not creating false expectations about the near future: he'll get the football, but he needs to be patient. Otherwise, the drama will increase each week he doesn't put up big numbers.

2. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I got no love for #10 because he's a wannabe diva ...but I think he has a right to complain. If we simply use him as a weapon, and stop ignoring him, everyone can be happy. I think there's no way in hell he's gonna be resigned & I would like to see him go because he's not Steeler material. And when he leave he'll be another bust like Mike Wallace. #26 & #84 are both awesome, but I would like us to spread the wealth sometimes, if Ben still have that ability. LOL it's mind-boggling how we forced the ball to a guy with 8 fingers who has hands like Limas Sweed (Coates), but we can't force the same throws to Bryant?? No need to trade him right now, let's use him first...

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I still don't get all the "forcing" nonsense. If any qb threads the needle into double or triple coverage and it works, no one says it was forced. They herald the qb for a great throw. The same goes for Ben. He's done it in the past. He's done it sparingly this season. Aren't you forcing the ball any time you throw it where you shouldn't and it doesn't work? That's almost all the time to Bryant these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Until I know just how much of all this is real and not made up I say nothing. I am so tired of the media trying to make stories out of every little bit of info. I did not read the tweet but could it be MB was joking with Juju? All I am worried about right now is getting Ben right(and he looks like he is getting there) and then watching this offense get on track and that includes MB. jmo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually, if you read all of what he tweeted and not the sensationalized edit portion, what he said wasn’t particularly bad. He wasnt so much slamming JuJu as much as he was boasting himself.

Like yourself, until more accurate info comes out, I’m ignoring it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Did you see the tweet that he deleted?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As I mentioned in another thread last night, the guy suffers from clinical depression. I think the options are a bit more complicated than simply treating him like a malcontent in the locker room, and deciding accordingly. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that his teammates understand him better than the fans do, and aren't being affected like they would by a true locker room cancer.

I had see a quote by JuJu on Steelers Depot this AM about the situation that was really great for a 20 year old player. He seems to get it and sympathize a bit with MB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would sit him inactive until his contract is up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I agree, the ball is getting "forced" to the best WR in the game and AB is making big plays happen. Bryant seems lost in the sauce, he at least is still blocking and trying while on the field. Need to try and hit Bryant on some crossing routes and put the speed to use instead of just chucking up a prayer and hoping he comes down with it.

10. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I've got an idea: How about he works his tail off to run the best routes he can so he'll be open and make it an easy choice to chuck him the ball? And when it gets thrown to him he has to make damn sure that he catches it.

It really is that simple because every WR wants to be "The One."

Until or unless? Let him sulk - if - that's what he's doing. Others are willing to step up and work at it.

11. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Trade him, but to the NFC. Worst thing I want is for him to come back and bite us in the tuchus.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The Steelers are considered a team with standards, that being said he would not play another down for the Steelers. I wish these players (who would be working in car washes if not for the NFL) would realize the goal is for your team to win games and Championships not for you to have great numbers regardless if your team wins or loses.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Offense has become a power running force. Brown is the go to and Smith-Schuster has elevated to #2.

Bryant has had his chances. He looks lost. Yes he blocks downfield but that is part of the job. Especially when they are now a run first Offense. When the ball comes your way you have to make a play.

I have been critical of Ben's play and lets be real, he is not the Ben of old. He is old and beaten though. The range of injuries have taken a toll and it has effected his accuracy. But, he is getting better, becoming a game manager so to speak with Bell lighting it up.

Back to Bryant. I don't see them trading him. I feel they will put on a smiley face and keep him in the fold. It's time to shut out the media, stop the drama and see if behind the scenes they can get him on track. Maybe i'm looking at the glass half full in which I mostly look at the glass half empty.

If this continues and he doesn't shake off the funk and keeps tweeting dumb stuff then they should look at limiting his playing time.

I"m curious to hear what Coach Tomlin has to say today at his presser about this situation...

14. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Tomlin and rooney sit his ass down and tell him he will get his touches and would not be surprised if he is sbl mvp and then he is gonna get his money then firmly tell him he is not being traded or released if he keeps acting this way and then on top of it they will franchise him in back to back years.

He is to talented to trade him to get nothing back in return ala santonio holmes. That almost burnt us as we traded him to a conference contender. We need him to beat the pats. Or you could possibly pick up stud reciever before trade deadline like a larry fitzgerald then you could trade him to a bad team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Um...you realize that means they’d pay him at least $15MM just for 2019? And ~$18MM for 2020?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Whatever you're smoking must be good stuff.

SB MVP?? 0% chance of us winning sb if he's mvp

Franchise tag?? You think he's a top 3 reciever??????

Pick up a stud WR via trade?? By trading What?

Geesh

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah, that would be a terrible idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes not getting a franchise tag, even if everything were great right now and he was putting up big numbers, Bryant was always gone after 2018.

I dont understand your 0% chance of winning the SB if he were MVP comment though. Aside from the fact that MVP's arent handed out to the losing team, if he had a monster game, it would only mean good things for the Steelers.

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    My point is that we aren't going to win the sb with a one dimensional wr resurrecting a vertical passing game. Obviously, him being mvp would mean we won. I just don't see how we transform what we have now into something where that happens.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We don't negotiate with Terrorist.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? They average a TD more a game when he was playing well. Having a guy that can take the top off of the defense only helps you.

People can chide him for his immature behavior but every Steelers fan should be rooting for this situation to work out where Bryant is a big factor again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here's what should happen.....

Coaches have a sit down with Bryant... Convo goes one this.

You have a world of talent, potential unrealized talent.

You need to buckle down and run better rtes, block better and catch everything that comes your way.

You're not being traded because we aren't giving up on you....yet. We have you under contract for 25 more reg season games. This week you're going to be inactive..... Show us you deserve to be not only active but also a key part of the game day plans. If not you'll live on the inactive list.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think most of us were rooting for him until he came back a shadow of his former self from a production standpoint and then starting throwing tantrums that show he hasn't matured, isn't team oriented, and still doesn't accept responsibility for having created his own mess.

I'm no longer rooting for him. I'm rooting for management to sit his ass on the bench for the remainder of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're talking about things that may never transpire. Haley is doing nothing to get him more involved. He's already taking plays off. His production RIGHT NOW is minimal. He is a cancer off the field. He had one good season, toked up and forfeited his second season, and now expects to be treated like a seasoned, dependable vet.

His antics have caused players and coaches to defend him publicly and LIE about him to save face. That pisses me off. Ben, Tomlin, and Lord knows who else came out and said he never wanted a trade. The team tried to cover his mess up by laughing and making jokes about it. Guess what? THE REPORTS THEY TRIED TO COVER UP WERE TRUE!!

I'm so sick and tired of this team focusing on everything but football. The head coach is a joke. Tomlin, take control of your team and start acting like a leader. Start banging heads until there's nothing left but sense in their skulls.

Where did my Pittsburgh Steelers go? DAMN!

25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Make him catch punts.