1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RB's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 20, 2013.

1. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    what happened to cause the suspension? i can't remember the details, but i believe there was some sort of rift between him and tomlin, maybe behind the scenes.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Tomlin didn't dress him for an unknown reason in turn mendy didn't show up for the game.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i don't know if Mendy will get a "big" contact, I'm sure he's gone, but I don't think he'll get big money from anyone. He'll do alright, and he's got risk, but Mendy is a quality RB that can be had on the cheap. Unfortunately, PGH is one of the places where he can't be had on the cheap.

4. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012

so there is likely some kind of personal friction involving mendy if tomlin doesn't want to go on record. or did he cite something to the effect of team rules violation?

5. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Agreed. Honestly, I don't see any team picking him to be a starter Rb. He is a Rb2 luxury signing for a team that can afford it.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think redman was dinged up all year. he wasen't right from camp on. i think dwyer and he are similar backs. both are guys for second half of games to seal the deal once the new o-line gets established. i don't think we need both though. once they sign those tenders they're ours. that's a mil.+ each isn't it? plus batch , plus we need at least two more because they weren't happy with any of them.:cool:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Big questions at the RB position, wouldn't you all agree?
    Must think out of the box,FO. THE BIG QUESTION I HAVE,
    Just how important is the running game to the PGH Steelers.
    We will find out soon enough by there actions. I think we will see
    how great Colbert and tomlin really are. LOL lots of holes to fill on this team,
    Are they up to the task?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What's funny is that if you had told me back in preseason we had a running back problem, I just wouldn't have believed you. We seemed to be stacked with talent and potential. Then:
    Redman hit a bad patch.
    Mendenhall was injured, then had his spat with Tomlin.
    Dwyer seemed to be the guy, but had stamina issues.
    Batch, who I was probably most excited about, did nothing to reflect his potential.
    And Rainey is gone.

I still think Batch might have something to offer, as well as Dwyer. I would like to see Mendenhall back, but in truth I think there has been a bit of bad luck, a lot of bad o-line play, and a huge amount of bad handling of the RB situation in terms of utilising strengths and building consistency.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Offensive Line has just been too crazy for the past couple years. The media has been saying "look at all the injuries the Ravens have had"... well the ravens offensive line had about 2 injuries total, which cause 1 or 2 different lineups. Steelers have had twice as many.

If our line could stay healthy and gel together for just 1 year I think you would see and significant increase in production at RB.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    don't forget clay who also got hurt early. we did seem aweful stacked at the beginning. :cool:

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Good reminder, mac. I liked what I saw of Clay - did he end up on someone else's roster, or will we see him back in camp next year?

12. The Bus Driver

The Bus Driver Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Mendy to New York would be pretty ironic. I can just see the tabloids after his first game-costing fumble. Can you imagine if he lived in New York at the time of his most popular/scrutinized tweets? Yikes.

In regards to OUR running backs moving forward, Dwyer and Redman demand a change of pace to remain effective (and fresh). I liked Rainey but his fate was inevitable given his past discretions. A scat-back in the mid to late rounds ( guys like Jacquizz Rodgers-- 5th round, Stephens-Howling--7th Round always seem to have ? marks and fall late into the draft since they 'couldn't' be the feature back coming out of college) combined with Pouncey-Decastro-Adams all surviving the preseason and starting Week 1 would make for a more than sufficient running attack.

Also someone had mentioned it on another thread, but Justin Forsett of the Texans will hit the market after they paid him (1yr/700k) last season, and as an Arian Foster fantasy owner, I was impressed with his running style as a "3rd stringer" in Houston. If nothing else, something like this could buy us some time until next years draft where we can dare to go RB 1st or 2nd rd.

13. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    +1. The "Tippy-Toe Twitter Bandit" is out of here!

He ran with a purpose like once a month last season. If he wasn't being featured, he didn't seem to care. Got cold on the sidelines? Done. He might be showing signs of "locker-room cancer".
    Hence the suspension, loss of hat, loss of carries. He didn't earn the right to be fawned over by the FO, or the coaching staff. He should have gone out and asserted himself as the #1 feature back on this team. He's clearly the feature back of this board (pre-draft).

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    He was only out on the field like once a month, really. He showed he was more effective that Dwyer or Redman, then got injured. Then came back and fumbled, and was benched.

There was clearly some trouble going on between him and Tomlin, and so if it meant taking steps towards consistency, then it's fair enough to let him go. But I find it interesting that everyone jumps on Mendenhall for having no heart, and seems to excuse Dwyer for routinely checking himself out of drives because he was tired...

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    clean house. give me young hungry players on offense. let's really make the standard mean something. we shouldn't have to lower our standard but raise it. that's how you build a winner.:cool:

16. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You will see the same think happen in the wide receiver position when MW leaves.