1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens stole our pick

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Real steel, May 1, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously. That's a gift.

I think it's stupid to base your draft on other teams as well, but he would have been there, and making that trade would have really put us in a bind. They should have pulled the trigger, picked up a pick, and screwed us over.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You read way too much and suppose too much off such a simple statement.

I have no clue what goes on in Colberts mind. All evidence pointed towards them picking Maxx in the 2nd. Was that situation he used to disguise his true target.? He himself said he tried to trade up in the 2nd for Golson but couldn't. That one statement Infuriates me to no end. No way on God's green earth is Golson worth a 2nd RD pick much less trading up even higher costing us additional picks.

Cajun

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maxx isnt worth a trade up either. And evidence doesn't point to them trying to trade up for him. Most likely it was Rowe, doesn't matter what grade you had on him, Philly did trade up for him, so thats another team that obviously thought highly of him.

Fact is, we don't know what statements are true or not, so why get infuriated over any of them.

4. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    "All evidence points"??? What evidence?

I have Colbert's statement on my side (which you think is a lie, and you're entitled to think that) as well as all the logic described in my previous post. What do you have? A Schefter rumor?? How is that worth anything? If any of that crap was true, wouldn't we have drafted Landon Collins at #33?

You clearly don't approve of the draft pick, which is fine. But that's very different from assuming Colbert is lying and he secretly agrees with you that Williams should have been the pick.

Also, since you're so concerned with him being willing to trade up for Golson, you should know that it's not that he couldn't trade up, it's that he decided not to because he felt the price was too high.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Everybody falls all over Ozzie, the great Ozzie, all knowing Ozzie, pfft. Anyone stop to think that maybe Colbert punked Ozzie by costing him a 5th rd pick to grab a player that the Colbert was never interested in???

Naa, Ozzie good Colbert bad.

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Snack, you tire me so, it's like arguing with my teenagers who want to nit pick every word and create their own interpretations.

You can't honestly say with just a couple picks left before us in the 2nd the scenario was presenting itself to fans and teams drafting after us that there was a very high possibility Max was going to be that pick. As per the title of this thread it's very valid to assume the ratbirds jumped us to steal the TE.

Also the article I read said that Colbert tried to move up but couldn't, not wouldn't. I don't know the details and don't really care. I don't like the Golson pick and would have preferred several other players and that includes max.

Cajun

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If that scenario was presenting itself to the Rats, then Colbert may have worked Oz over. We'll never know for sure, but I'll take Colbert's statement that Golson was their guy along at face value.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I like that version better as well. Especially if ole Jesse James turns out to be a better pro!

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Kelvin Colbert: Steelers didn't discuss Maxx Williams

Chris Wesseling
    Around the NFL Writer
    When the Ravens traded up three spots to draft tight end Maxx Williams at No. 55 overall, multiple reports out of Pittsburgh suggested the Steelers had their sights set on the former University of Minnesota star with the 56th pick.

Ravens pick Williams No. 55
    According to that narrative, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome swooped in for the steal on a division rival.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert directly refuted that version of events in his post-draft press conference.

"In difference to what was reported, Senquez was targeted to be picked in the second round," Colbert said, via Steelers Depot. "Without a doubt, we were going to come out of that round with a corner, and it was never a discussion. In fact, we tried to trade up to secure Senquez Golson, just to set the record straight."

Draft season is sanctioned lying season in the NFL, so we might never know the Steelers' true intentions. In Colbert's defense, the Steelers immediately turned in the Golson selection, suggesting he was indeed their target.

Although a Heath Miller successor was widely viewed as a team need, it wasn't as much of a priority as upgrading at cornerback and outside linebacker.

Newsome downplayed the notion that he pulled one over on Colbert, adding that he has "no idea what Pittsburgh is doing" during the draft.

"We get to a point where we feel it's time to go get a player, we wait through three or four picks, and then I get a little antsy," Newsome explained, via the Ravens' official website. "When you've got ammunition, you just go and get the player. It wouldn't have mattered who was picking at that spot for us to move up and get the guy."

As it turns out, Colbert might have been the one besting Newsome in the draft's first two rounds.

Newsome "cringed" and the Ravens war room "groaned" when the Steelers selected outside linebacker Bud Dupree at No. 22 overall, per the Ravens' official web site.

Dupree was one of the players Baltimore was considering with the 26th pick.

If Colbert is to believed, he not only snatched Dupree away from the Ravens but also coaxed Newsome into giving up an extra draft pick to nab a tight end the Steelers weren't even targeting at that point in the draft.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You don't have to read my posts. Or respond to them. It won't hurt my feelings. I'm not exactly typing this for your benefit. But I don't mind the digs about me being long-winded. Better than digs about being an idiot.

I don't entirely understand what you're trying to say here, but I think you're saying that yes, we were going to draft Williams and the Ravens jumped us so they could get him. I don't doubt the Ravens jumped us out of fear we'd draft their guy Williams. Good for them. Of course it's possible we were going to draft Williams, but there's no evidence to support it. And like Elvis said, if we weren't going to draft Williams, and Golson really was the guy all along, like Colbert says and like I believe, then the Ravens gave up a 5th round pick for no reason. That's good news.

"Couldn't" doesn't even make sense. You always can. Or is it your opinion that he called a bunch of teams begging to trade up and offering all kinds of good stuff, but none of them were willing to do business with him on some kind of principle?

It's a matter of how much you want to give up. The asking price to move up a few spots in the 2nd is around that of a 5th (which is what the Ravens paid). What I read was that the asking price was a 5th and Colbert didn't want to pay it. That's extremely believable, and if you felt like controlling your own feelings for better instead of worse, you could be happy Colbert didn't make the trade and stayed put. But suppose I heard wrong and they wanted a 4th and Colbert didn't want to pay it. Either way, the choice is his. You can always move up if you're willing to part ways with enough picks.

Colbert drafted a guy you didn't want. That sucks for you. But when you consider who he wanted and accept it, you should also accept that he played it just right. He didn't trade up, still got his guy, and may have even played a role in the Ravens losing a pick out of fear. That's all good news. You just don't like who we got is all.

If it makes you feel better to believe a story you and some others collectively made up that paints our GM as a putz, go ahead and believe it. That doesn't make it true. I'm gonna go with:

- We needed a CB high, after failing to successfully draft CBs in mid/late rounds.

- We needed to double dip at the position, so waiting until the 3rd round or beyond makes that harder to do, especially if someone of good or great value at another position falls to us, like Sammie Coates.

- Maxx Williams is an arrogant prick, which means that he is not the next Heath Miller, no matter what he does on the field. He is not the type of player we draft if we can help it.

- Maxx Williams may be the best TE in the class, which you yourself called a very weak class of TEs. He doesn't seem special to me, and there will be more next year and later in the draft (see point #1... maybe it's time to draft a TE late and a CB early, right?).

- The Steelers were clearly placing a heavy emphasis on DBs with ball skills and playmaking ability, trying to get more turnovers. Golson is the #1 guy in the draft on that list. It makes perfect sense they would target him.

- Colbert said so. To you this means he's lying to protect himself from looking bad. To me he is answering allegations and defending his player, Golson. And if you play devil's advocate and look at his comments from my perspective, aren't they on the money? You say that's what he'd say if he was lying. But that's what he would say if he was telling the truth too, right?

- All the other crap I wrote about in my original post.

The media any you put together what you think is a cute little story. The Ravens stealing our guy right out from under us! Conflict! Excitement! Pay attention!! I get why the media sells it. For attention. I get why Ravens fans buy it. To feel good about themselves. I don't get why Steelers fans would buy it. I don't turn a blind eye to the truth, and I criticize the team when I disagree with it, but this is nothing more than a story with nothing to support it, including most of the logic. Anything you have ("The Steelers need a new TE") is answered better by what actually happened (we needed a CB way more).

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats the funniest thing of all about this, like Maxx Williams was some great steal and worth moving up for :lolol:

He's the GM that panicked.

Yeah, good job Ozzie :thumbs_up:

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Who knows if Maxx will turn out to be a good player... It was plausible to Ozzie that we could be thinking TE, so he pulled the trigger and got his guy. I bet he's happy about it. I don't think he really panicked.

Colbert stayed put and got the guy that he wanted. I bet he's happy about that too. Nobody fleeced anybody IMO. It was just a normal draft move that happens all the time, the media just hyped it up for intrigue since it was a team trading up past their arch rival.

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

But in my book we came ahead, since I really didn't want to spend a pick on a tight end OR on a guy with a bad attitude, and Williams is both of those things. Plus we didn't lose a 5th and Baltimore did. And I like Golson more every day.

14. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    So, it turns out we stole their pick.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If anybody panicked, it was Ozzie, thats the point I was trying to make. I believe he would have gotten his guy without giving up a draft pick. We got our guy by staying put, whether somebody panicked or not, I think Colbert played it better.

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Got ya. Yeah, I think we would've passed on Maxx too but who knows. Since they wanted Dupree and we got him, I bet they really didn't want to risk having us take "their guy" again haha

I agree though. Anytime you get your guy without giving up any assets, you played it right.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Exactly. One team trades into the spot right before a division rival and all of a sudden its "they stole their pick". Ozzie guessed that we wanted a TE and went to go get his guy. Good for him. They had a plethora of picks. It just so happens that the TE was not our pick. If they would have taken a corner, then a better argument could be made.

Just shows you how the rivalry is viewed around the NFL. Where every little move is viewed as bettering the rival and not just improving you own team.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Williams caught a total of 13 TDs in his short two year college career, he isnt experienced enough to do anything amazing against NFL defenses, he has a lot to learn about playing in the pros and could be a bust: Williams entered the Nfl Draft after his redshirt sophomore season, foregoing his junior and senior seasons.