1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens stole our pick

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Real steel, May 1, 2015.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Suspicious.

If RS is a troll, I will give him credit for continuous effort, though.

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, let's see. The Ravens are going to kick our azzes twice a year simply because they chose a guy who's never played a down in the NFL, isn't guaranteed to make the team, could have an injury and miss the season, could ride a motorcycle into a Buick...............
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense!:rolleyes:

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    There ya go. Not too far of a stretch to get there right ? lol

4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that last line.:smiley1:

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Or every time Golson has a pick six against Flacco we'll thank frick and frack (Ozzie and Hairball) for getting all cutsie and jumping ahead of us.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The guy is a troll, no doubt about it. The whole act is getting pretty old!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Like your thinking here, Jack :thumbs_up:

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for what is worth .: you know i'm a nawrocki fan ..

this were his cb grades before the draft
    waines 6,37
    peters 6,23
    k.johnson 6,12
    jalen collins 5,97
    senquez golson 5,83
    dorant grant 5,82
    b.jones 5,76
    r. darby 5.74
    pj williams 5,69
    quinten rollins 5,58
    eric rowe 5,34

just to name the one we are talking about

maxx williams 5,72

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so we got two of the top 6. didn't have to reach or trade up. I would call that a success, wouldn't you?

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :eek: THAT is scary! :lolol:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :eek::eek:

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert said they were going to take a CB in rd2 no matter what, they wanted Golson the whole time not Maxx Williams.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Stars align sometimes :lolsign:

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So you're telling me I have to choose who to believe between Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert and message board troll "Real steel"?

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Our one solid all around TE is getting older and slower. The Steelers bring in a bunch of TE for predraft visits. The number #1 rated TE in the draft is a few picks away in the back end of the 2nd RD. If we wanted him truly we should have traded up to grab him because they have to know someone is going to try and jump us for him.

Now Colbert is saying they were targeting a CB the whole time in the 2nd. Is he saving face here? He also is. Now saying he loves that iddy biddy tiny CB so much he tried to trade up to get HIM!!!!!!! Stupid.....

Colbert is driving me crazy!!!!! Where's Del when you need him?

Cajun

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Considering they passed on Rollins and I think another CB that most people had better grades on then Golson, I tend to believe he was their guy all along.

And I don't care if a guy is 3 feet tall if he intercepts the ball as much as Golson does. Great pick for us.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    since somebody called DEL..this is what he wrote in another forum
    I thought we reached in the 2nd round when we picked Le'Veon Bell and I was pretty wrong about that one. I thought running backs aren't worth that and didn't realize Bell could lose 10 lbs. and become a great 3-down player and threat in the pass game like he is.

I dismissed Golson's good film due to his size limitations. He's not just a small cornerback to me. He's REALLY small. When you start getting into under 5'-9" and under 30" arms, I philosophically think those are limitations in the NFL that even good natural football instincts and talent can't make up for. It limits his ceiling a lot in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong. He's a good character kid. He'll work hard. And with the way our depth at cornerback looks, he's going to get lots of opportunities to play.

I would have picked P. J. Williams I think (pretty sure actually). He was the highest corner on my board. He is certainly much more of a boom/bust pick. His floor is low. His ceiling is high.

Because of that, I probably would plan on picking a more middle of the road slot CB later in this draft (maybe even round 3-4-5). But that's the way I draft. I believe in high ceiling players and then covering your ass a bit with more middle-of-the-road workers later in the draft to provide good work ethic examples to the talented guys.

The Steelers didn't do that. They fell in love with Golson, his work ethic and his character and good college film and they picked him very high in my opinion.

We'll see if it works out.To me it is also very typical of how we draft since Tomlin has become the head coach. See a problem, then tunnel vision "fixes" for that problem onto the next season's draft class. It bounces from "off-field" issues to special teams to punting to return game to turnovers to sacks/pressure to red zone to deep threats.

Tombert's management of the roster seems very short sighted. Team's not getting enough sacks? Draft "sack guys" high. Team's not getting enough in the return game? Push up ranking players based on speed and return ability. Team doesn't generate turnovers? We better draft a kid that generates turnovers.

To me, this type of randomly prioritizing traits in prospects is so ass backwards to how you should be evaluating talent it's just crazy. You should judge talent the SAME EVERY YEAR that is completely regardless of what weaknesses you have created on your roster through years of neglect in the first place. I'm not saying QB pressure, turnovers, return ability, red zone ability or team speed aren't important. They are, but they are equally important every year, every draft class, every prospect.

That's not how it appears to work in Pittsburgh anymore. I have no idea what we will be looking for in prospects next year, but I guarantee it will have something to do with something we're bad at this year on the field.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You and others are saying our pick was stolen away by the Ravens, and Colbert drafted Golson as some sort of consolation while muttering, "Blast! They've done it again!" and then went out and lied about it, pretending Golson was going to be their pick over Williams, and he was the one they thought about trading up for. Isn't it possible they wanted Golson more than Williams, and he's telling the truth?

You say no, but what is your evidence to support this claim? All I got from your post was that TE was a need for us, and we brought in TEs for visits. Like you can't say the same and then some for cornerback??

CB was a bigger need, the consensus #1 need, and we brought in more of them for visits. It was also the consensus we needed two CBs in this draft, compared to maybe one tight end. And out of the TEs and CBs that were brought in, guess who did and didn't come? We met with Williams at the combine (where it was widely reported he bombed his interviews, coming off as arrogant and not a team player), but Golson was brought to Pittsburgh for a full visit (I am unaware of any negative reports for his interviews).

Let's face it. ALL you have is some flimsy report by Schefter or Rappaport or some goon like that, and your own personal feelings that Williams would have been a better pick than Golson. I disagree. I like Golson a lot, and was very relieved when Baltimore took Williams, because it meant we wouldn't take him and I didn't want him.

My personal feelings about the Golson selection were a mix of very pleased we got a player I wanted, and surprise that we drafted him in the 2nd because I was targeting him in the 3rd. It could be we reached for him, or it could be that he wouldn't have made it as deep as we were assuming. That was the case with Shazier last year. I thought we could have easily traded back and still landed him in the early 20s, but then came the report that Dallas was definitely going to take him with the pick right after ours. So is he still a reach at that point, when you're taking him in the latest possible spot you can? Debatable. I would say you could debate whether it's a good pick, but you can no longer debate if it's a reach. We could have this same conversation about your boy Yeldon, who you surely think is worth the #35 pick, but is still much higher than expected.

In any case, in a draft where you land the player you want at the position you desperately need (Golson), and also land a player at the same position that carries undeniable value two rounds later (Grant), and also drafted with strong value at other positions of need in the same draft (Dupree) and strong value at positions that weren't big needs (Coates), I think you can afford a possible reach. You're getting the player you want at the position you need.

You have every right to be pissed that we didn't draft your guy. I get that and do the same all the time. But you don't need to go making up stories, or in this case, believing the stories perpetuated by the media, that we were ill-prepared and had our pick taken away.

Colbert absolutely was aware of that. He made a calculated risk that the guy he wanted would be there without trading up. Worked in round 1! I think it also worked in round 2 because he wanted Golson. You think he fell asleep at the wheel and lost out on the guy that's supposedly an egomaniac at a position we need less, and is a top player in what you've called a very weak class at the position.

I guess it's a great angle for the media to tell a story, so I get why they do it. I don't see the incentive for a fan to do it, except if they like being cranky and have a good suspension of disbelief.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What does that even mean? Who should they have taken if not Dupree? Who was projected as a top 15 pick. Who's to say the Steelers don't evaluate completely? What, they should just ignore their needs in the process?

And Freak, if Del wants to share his thoughts with us, he knows where to find us.:smiley1:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Shhhhh... Real Steel was Adam Schefter's "source close to the organization."

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think del had it partly right, but then took it too far. Of course you don't reach for need if you're building a roster, but you can't just ignore need either. When you're a "now" team you want to draft players where need and BPA intersect. Sometimes that means making a slight reach for need when a player is close to BPA, and other times it means taking a guy at a position that's #2 or 3 on the priority list to get the better player. We're a now team, and have to improve certain aspects of our team to get better.

I find it funny that - despite his rant about plugging holes to fix a current problem, his pick was PJ Williams - another corner. So what it really comes down to is he disagreed with their choice of corner, and decided that it was because they drafted with a short sighted view and he didnt.... I also like PJ, but I can understand why our FO would grade Golson higher.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Whos to say they were reaching? I had this discussion with you and conceded the point as well when we discussed EJ Gaines, you had a better grade on him then others and your grade was the correct one.

If Golson turns out to be a big player for us, there was no reaching.

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

Del is a smart guy, but often a needless downer. All that crap, and he just wanted a different corner. Some fans feel better by putting down their own team, even when it's not warranted.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The rats didnt steal our pick, trading up and down in the draft is a way of life, the bungles could have traded with the cardinals so the cards could get Dupree who they coveted and to keep the steelers from drafting him, but the bengals wouldnt budge, so if you think teams trade up or down just to keep a player from another division rival thats just crap:

TEMPE, Ariz. — –The Arizona Cardinals tried to trade up in the first round to take outside linebacker Bud Dupree but they couldn’t convince the Cincinnati Bengals to trade back three spots.
    The Bengals took offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi at No. 21, and he probably would have been available at 24. The Bengals could have kept the Pittsburgh Steelers, a division rival, from getting the outside linebacker they wanted, Dupree.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

ouch ogbueghi would have been at 24 for sure .. thanx bungles ..