1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens had bounty on steelers players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by chuckie_os, Mar 25, 2012.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This type of whining should be beneath Steelers fans.

2. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's over and nothing is going to change what happened. The NFL doesn't owe anyone an explanation. People need to let it go.[/quote:2ug6hjm5]

We still reserve the right to be upset. Especially since it almost definitely had a negative effect on us. The extent of that effect? Who knows. :cry:

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

We still reserve the right to be upset. Especially since it almost definitely had a negative effect on us. The extent of that effect? Who knows. :cry:[/quote:ljfu9grj]

And a lot of Steelers haters have the right to be upset that Goodell cut Ben's suspension from 6 games to 4 but we still tell them to get over it, right?

I'm not sure how you can say it almost definitely had a negative effect on the Steelers. Who really knows? I think the best someone can say is that it possibly had a negative effect on their team.

4. SteelYourPoints

Oct 18, 2011

We still reserve the right to be upset. Especially since it almost definitely had a negative effect on us. The extent of that effect? Who knows. :cry:[/quote:rmi7994s]

And a lot of Steelers haters have the right to be upset that Goodell cut Ben's suspension from 6 games to 4 but we still tell them to get over it, right?

I'm not sure how you can say it almost definitely had a negative effect on the Steelers. Who really knows? I think the best someone can say is that it possibly had a negative effect on their team.[/quote:rmi7994s]

Nope, I don't say anything to people who wanted Ben suspended more. For the most part they just don't like Ben and could give a crap about the allegations. And I say "almost definitely" because we played them while they were cheating. I'm definitely not going to say the outcome would have been different otherwise, but regardless they still cheated.

5. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Never said they didn't cheat but how long are people going to cry about it? It's over and done with.

6. SteelYourPoints

Oct 18, 2011

I'd just ignore it. It should be gone when we're old and grey. (I'm only 18 though haha).

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    ravens are a thug team. Do you really expect them to play by the rules?

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess the Saints are a thug team too, huh?

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not only the suggs interview but also ray lewis on the sidelines before the game saying " we going to knock somebody out of the game today". I think after the hammer comes down on some of the players you're right and moving forward is the way Goodell goes.

You're wrong about the saints being scapegoated. Scapegoat means taking taking the blame for others offenses and its more than clear the saints were indeed in the wrong and tried to injury and take players out, lied about it and continued after being warned. Goodell has made them an example of what may happen if this happens in the future.

Cajun-

10. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben gets suspended for doing nothing.

Harrison gets suspended for a hard hit.

The Saints coach gets suspended for an entire season.

The Ravens had bounties, but get no punishment.

Any true fan wants an equal playing field and judgement.

Stating facts is not whining.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

I see this as a true statement. Every time I talk about Ben the player, I get blasted with "Rapisburger" or some crap like that. Fact is he was accused and not charged or settled with anyone on the allegations. He's linked to it and not getting around that, so why would you expect the same not to apply to the Patriots?

ex. Duke Lacrosse Team?

What popped into your head? Rapers or false accusations?

Frenchman IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn?

Maid raper or falsely accused man?

it just so happens that's what the majority of people are going to jump to and the reason headliners are so bad. I don't hate on anyone for it though.

12. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, this has nothing to do with the suspensions handed down for Ben or James so why even bring them up? The Saints bounty scandal was way more than a player or 2 saying they were going to knock someone out of a game, the coaching staff was involved in a pay-for-injury system.

Let me ask this. If the Saints weren't penalized for their bounty system, how many people would be saying "Oh it is ok because the Ravens didn't get penalized so Goodell is being consistent". I think we all know the answer to that.

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed!!!!

14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    They were running their yaps about Ward and Ben. The NFL told them they better not and neither Ben or Ward were hurt so it went away. I do not think that was the game Mendy got hurt in either.

15. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The only money that the steelers handed around was to the NFL after the fines were imposed. :frustrated:

16. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They are pure as the driven snow to their true believers.

17. hangaber

hangaber Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Ben doesn't have to be charged with a crime to get suspended, but he has to be guilty of something to be punished. Please use proof and make a case that Ben was proven guilty of something. And being guilty doesn't mean he should be suspended. At about the same time, Albert Haynesworth walked out of a courtroom, guilty, and no punishment. Suggs has two restraining orders against him by two women, proof of guilt, and no suspensions. I could go on and on. I am not impressed with your lack of insight of the unequal treatment that Ben got. You don't impress me with your calling people on this board gigantic babies when they point out what you miss. I am astounded by your assumption that all the teams and players get treated equally with no politics. Been around much? Let's get back to cheering for the Steelers. Enough said.

18. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The people that thought Ben deserved suspended were probably Kordell Stewart fans = stupid.

19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have to side with the group that thinks there is a lot of nothing here and some of our fans are being babies.

Hard hitting to knock someone out of the game seems legit as long as it's legal. I mean...right? As I understand it, what the Saints were doing was to injur and what the ravens seem to have done is nothing different than what James Harrison was saying about his own big hits and his intentions from that summer time Sports illustrated (or was it ESPN mag) article last year.

Going for the knees and head is cheap, but lowering a shoulder with a nasty intent is not.

We can't have it both ways. There were endless threads and posts on this very site bitching about us being targeted because of big hits and us calling our detractors wimpish fans.

All I hear are echos of what other team fans recently said about Hines and Harrison.

20. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sorry, you might not like it, but it's never a good idea to call someone you"re debating with a "baby"
    Or accuse them of "crying". It just starts to turn personal from there, or you lose the ability to have a good debate because you've done nothing but piss the other guy off.

I see what both camps are getting at here, and of course you're both right in your own way.
    Yes it's over and done with now and there's nothing that can change that. Yes "conspiracies get old because they rely on so much "what if" logic that theriost rarely realize that what they beleive can almost never be proven.

On the other hand, being constantly indifferent is the kind of attitude that allows people to actually pull the wool over your eyes.

I also beleive that what's going on here is just hatred for goodell (which I'm all for) and not an inability to let the patriots punishment go. The patriots thing is more of an example goodell haters use to point out inconsistancies in his punishments.

Like the one poster said. It's just as hard for me to beleive that goodell targets people and organizations. As it is that everyone gets treated the exact same and fairly.

21. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    not the saints just the ravens

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you're spot on here. The problem (as with a lot of internet debates) is that finding a middle ground is difficult. One can be suspect of the conspiracy theories, and take these judgements int heir stride, without being a signed up member to the "everything's ok" gang. The point is really not to cheapen any sensibe criticism of Goodell by relating a series of otherwise unrelated incidents together, and making out that they show a clear picture.

23. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hypothetically, If the Rats or Steelers would have publically stated the day before a game that they had a bounty on Tom Brady or Vince Wilfork the hammer would have came down hard and swift upon the player that stated the bounty.
    Honestly now. If James Harrison would have just mumbled the words he would have been suspended the rest of the season without a shadow of a doubt and possibly tossed out of the league altogether.
    Terrel Suggs does it against Hines Ward to a public reporter and Roger GoToH*ll obviuosly looks the other way.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Suggs was far from the only player talking about bounties though. Bounties have always been a big part of football, it just seems like the Saints took it to another level by including coaches, and by trying to get players carted off the field. Bounties have always been ignored in football until this Saints thing blew up.

But to further this discussion, does anyone have the video clip of what Suggs said, or the exact quote? If so, post it and lets see exactly what was said.

25. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously?