1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens had bounty on steelers players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by chuckie_os, Mar 25, 2012.

1. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Re: Ravens had bounty of steelers players

The link is dead. But if it's true hell yes they should be punished. They just came down HARD on the Saints, why would the Ravens get a pass?

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Re: Ravens had bounty of steelers players

Damn good question, but they openly admitted it two years ago.
    I forget which season it was, and I don`t have a link, but I DO remember them bragging about putting a bounty up for Ward, and Ben.
    It was one of the first questions that popped in my mind, when this "scandal" started being reported about the Saints.
    (I say "scandal", because to me, it`s a joke... A big to-do about nothing that hasn`t been happening since pee-wee league, but now, Goodell wants to look "right", in the eyes of politically correct America. I actually even read an article in the Gazette, about a senator convening a commitee to look into it. Ridiculous! Like our congress doesn`t have better things to do than get involved with our major sports leagues, although, that seems to9 be hobby of theirs, lately...)
    :sick:

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    That`s what I was thinking, but I dont think they targeted Mendy. That might have been when they talked about it, though.

6. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    but since it happened in 08 im taking that nothing could/would be done now about it??
    or do you think Roger gotohell would re-look at it

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah suggs said there were bounties on ward and mendy for talking trash. Ward responded like a pro and told mr suggs that he needed to read the rule book on bounties in which suggs quickly rescinded his comments and said no money changed hands.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Make no mistake, the New Orleans Saints have been scapegoated for any past instances involving bounties. No other team will be punished for what happened in the past. Only moving forward would Goodell exact any other punishment on another team.

Despite the fact there is hard evidence on the record (See Suggs interview), Goodell will let any team off the hook for past violations.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If it was the other way around and it was the steelers then hell yes we would be getting fines,suspensions,blackballed...you name it.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    what nailed the Saints was not the bounty. It was lying about it and then continuing.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus it was the coaches being involved that really hurt them. When a coach is offering money to not only knock a player out of the game, but the have the player carted off the field, that's a big problem. "Bounties" have been going on between football players for as long as the game has been around. Many times it's simple things like the QB giving his lineman money if they don't allow any sacks, but it can also be hard hits.

What Suggs said is quite a bit different than what happened with the Saints. Fact is, the Saints were exposed and were told to cut it out by Goodell. They didn't listen, and instead, tried to cover it up. That's why the league is coming down so hard on them.

12. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We all know that if this was a big market team nothing would have happened. If it was the Pats they would get slapped on the wrist. Just like with Spy Gate.

The problem is we have a dictator and he follows no rules. I mean seriously Ben gets suspended 4 games for being charged with nothing (i am not arguing guilt or not just the facts) and the Cheatriots coach does not get suspended for one game.

I guess even the commish takes care of his buddies.

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    This conspiracy theory crap gets so annoying. I'm sorry to say it, but too many of you guys on this site come across as gigantic babies, there's far too much whining. The Patriots lost a 1st round draft pick, that's a pretty damn big slap on the wrist. It didn't get swept under the rug, it was dealt with as per league policy. It wasn't made public as no appeal was filed. It's the same thing with Bounty gate, if no appeal is filed, we will never know the true extent of this thing as it won't be made public. If an appeal is filed, everything becomes public information, all 53,000 pages.

Ben got suspended because of his off field actions. He doesn't have to be charged with a crime to get suspended. Ben deserved every game of that suspension. It's telling that his own teammates were sick and tired of him.

Roger Goodell handed out stiff punishment against the Saints because of the current era of player safety, he had no choice. If he didn't act like he did, he could be looking at lawsuits, and he still might be. It's a different era, and anyone who has ever been injured against the Saints could now be looking for a huge payday via a lawsuit. Goodell knows this and that's why he had to protect the league as a whole by handing out harsh justice. Any team, big market or small market, would have been treated the same in this case.

14. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    As much as I want to go off on the Ravens for having bounties, I feel like the whole thing needs to go away for fear or finding skeletons in everyone else's closet too (or more importantly the Steelers). I am not suggesting that the Steelers have had bounties, but let's not be so sure that they have not or have never had them. I bet you a lot of teams have them, whether more formal like the Saints appeared to have or perhaps more informal with just a few players throwing some money in. Of course, going forward I bet you won't see them anymore because of the severity of the punishments, but all we need right now is for the Steelers to be another team accused of bounties, especially with all of the negativity placed on them in recent times.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I can guarantee money was being handed around in the Steelers locker room too. Maybe not to injure a player, and probably not from the coaches (I just don't see Cowher or Tomlin doing that stuff), but from player to player. It's likely just stuff like money given to lineman from Ben for not giving up sacks, money handed out for INT's, force fumbles, etc. It happens league wide.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    How can you guarantee that? Sure it's possible, but I don't see how anyone can guarantee that without some sort of inside knowledge or evidence to base it on.

LOL yeah, somehow it was Ben. Good stuff. :roflmao:

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I dont think the steelers need a bounty system i know porter said he has never been on a team with a bounty system. Our guys dont need a bounty they like hitting people. I dont remember if it was the steelers or the pens but they had a system of bad plays you lost money good plays erased some debt and whatever you owed at the end of the season is what you had to pay.

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Because according to player interviews I listen to on Sirius NFL radio, it happens in every single locker room in the NFL. Like I said, I don't think Steelers players were paid to hurt other players, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I bet at times Ben has given money to his lineman if they haven't given up any sacks in a game. That's a very common thing for QB's to do.

If your issue is with my choice of the word guarantee, then okay, I'll take that part back, but I would be very surprised if money hasn't changed hands in the Steelers locker room, along with every other locker room in the NFL. All the players, and radio guys who are ex-players and coaches say it happens league wide.

19. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The conspiracy stuff gets to me too. Some are still crying about Spygate? Let it go already.

Not every punishment or non-punishment has something to do with the Steelers.

20. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would agree with you if they had not burnt the tapes and never let them out. The NFL has never said what they exactly found. That is my problem with the whole thing. When else has theat ever happened

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sad, but true.

22. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I would agree with you if they had not burnt the tapes and never let them out. The NFL has never said what they exactly found. That is my problem with the whole thing. When else has theat ever happened[/quote:1bjsixxz]

It's over and nothing is going to change what happened. The NFL doesn't owe anyone an explanation. People need to let it go.

23. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Why is it sad?

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I would agree with you if they had not burnt the tapes and never let them out. The NFL has never said what they exactly found. That is my problem with the whole thing. When else has theat ever happened[/quote:g2rm3sbg]

Why would they let it out? The NFL isn't a public company, it's a private enterprise. It's like a Walmart employee getting into trouble at work and people demanding to know what happened. Walmart wouldn't owe you an explanation for how they conduct themselves, so why does the NFL? The spygate stuff was kept confidential because that's how the NFL operates. The bountygate stuff is going to be kept confidential as well. The only exceptions are if an appeal is filed, then it all becomes public. In the case of spygate, no appeal was filed so everything stayed confidential. There's something like 53,000 pages of information on bountygate. How much do we really know? Probably very little and I doubt we'll ever know the whole story. That's just how the NFL operates, and it was no different when they sanctioned the Patriots.

Not sure why everyone on here thinks Goodell is in bed with the Patriots. If that was the case, the other owners would have removed Goodell, not kept him around for as long as they have.

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Because conspiracy theories are fun. Jumping up and down on a Sunday because the refs are obviously not calling the penalties against us because we are somehow set apart from the rest of the league is part of the fun of being a Steelers fan.

But, as you say, the more sober truth is that sometimes, **** just happens.

I've said it before, but I don't really see how people are targetting Goodell over this. I don't see that any commissioner would have dealt with it differently. And the Saints aren't a small market team.