1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rashard Mendenhall

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 30, 2020.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :puking 3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I suggest you take that up with the teammates that Ben threw under the bus and rubbed the wrong way. For whatever reasons several teammates didn't like him.

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Ghainmover1.

You know what is probably coming next with this post, right? About 100 replies regarding Mendenhall "costing" us Super Bowl XLV with his fumble. So, I figure I might as well kick it off. Although we were on our way to probably scoring on that drive, and taking the lead, we do not know what the outcome would have been. However, like with so many games, especially close ones, you can point to a few key plays that become polarized and have a meaningful impact on the game's outcome.

I am not giving the man a pass on that fumble but there were many other plays that led to our not getting the win. The horrific start and Ben's multiple interceptions put us in a huge hole; which we did climb out of. However, those gift picks led to scores that really put us in a bind. We were able to come back from all of those interceptions, and make it a competitive game but unfortunately it was good but not good enough. So, although Mendenhall's fumble was critical it was not the only play that cost us that game. Not by a long stretch. Also, on the "D" side of the ball the Steelers let Rogers pick them apart for most of the contest. That certainly did not help us as well.

Back to the article, and Ben being accused of being a racist, well you know it is really getting boring in this day and age. Unless there is real, and I mean real, substantial proof of this it is probably best to keep one's opinions about these things to one's self. It has become the trend today to accuse some people of all kinds of prejudices. This, whether it is race, gender, economic-status, etc. IMO it is a sign of weakness.

Once again, unless the accuser has some real concrete examples/evidence to back up the accusations, one needs to tread very lightly within these arenas. The damage that such accusations can create, especially when they are not true, becomes very hard to reverse in the realm of public opinion. Some people fall for "Broad-Brush Stroke" statements without thinking them through and really analyzing for themselves the substance of the accusation/comment. These types of people are gullible and equally as weak-minded IMO.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Hey 86WardsWay.

Even though I do not care much for Mendenhall, as most folks around here know I am a straight-shooter. Given that, I knew this thread was going to turn into a "bashing" Mendenhall thing regarding Super Bowl XLV. Sure, he fumbled the ball and yes at a very "inopportune time". However, I have not seen one mention of Ben's first Quarter meltdown and the interceptions that he threw; which put us behind the eight ball right from the very start of the game. Sure, events become more magnified as the game moves on; especially in the later stages of the contest; as did Mendenhall's fumble. However, I am more inclined to put the majority of that loss on Ben and his poor play before I would put it on Rashard's sole blunder.

Overall though, yeah I thought we had really turned the tides and were going to pull it out regardless of all the mistakes that The Team made. Too bad we came up short. Not only would we have another ring but also a classic comeback victory for the history books.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

4. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    You seem pretty certain it was the fault of coaching. While I would admit this is certainly possible, isn’t it equally possible that the QB/line made the wrong adjustment to the protection scheme or the line just didn’t pick Matthews up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Ben is our QB, a HOF QB no less. I am glad he is coming back and remain hopeful about next season. Having said that, I do recognize that Ben is not a complete victim. I think some people recognize that he has had his faults and is not completely innocent in certain situations. He has made it possible for former teammates to take shots because of his previous behavior (whether true or not, their allegations seem possible based on his past).

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So a thread about a certain has-been mediocre, social justice warrior RB, turns into a throw darts at Roethlisberger thread. Got it.

While we're at it then, how about this. It all falls on the shoulders of coach cliche and his inability to reign in his players. Tomlin should be fired.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Nah, I'm good. But thanks for your input.

8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Bettis fumbled on the goalline in the playoffs during the 05 super bowl run almost losing them the game. It happens to the best of them.

9. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Cue the Tomlin comments. It wouldn’t be a thread on a Steelers message board without it.

You are right, the thread was about Mendenhall. People naturally pointed out Mendenhall’s comments about Ben. You jumped to Ben’s defense. To which I noted that Ben has made himself an easy target to Mendenhall (and other former players because of his past behavior). I think the connection is pretty clear. The topic evolved as the discussion continued.

Edit - Ironically enough, the comments about Ben were mentioned by the OP.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    The Tomlin comment was sarcasm. Note to self: use green font for the slow kids. RM's comments about BR are meaningless and nothing more than a delusional, washed up, average at best RB, who is well known for his political and racist rants and just wants to call attention to himself. It is sad when people who haven't achieved the success they desire spend their time and energy trying to tear someone else down because they are envious of the other person's success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yeah right. Well how about players that are high draft picks playing like average players?

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He hasn't been liked socially here in the Steel city since his inception, There have always been
    remarks about him. Now players are coming forward. It takes 2 to tango though?

13. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Keep trying - I simply pointed out how it was relevant to consider Ben’s past in recognizing that there have been naysayers through the years. Your previous comment implied this was a stretch. I pointed out how it was relevant to the discussion.

Sarcasm or not, the Tomlin comment is amusing to me because you certainly bring it up enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    KnoxVegasSteel said: ↑
    So a thread about a certain has-been mediocre, social justice warrior RB, turns into a throw darts at Roethlisberger thread. Got it.

While we're at it then, how about this. It all falls on the shoulders of coach cliche and his inability to reign in his players. Tomlin should be fired.
    Cue the Tomlin comments. It wouldn’t be a thread on a Steelers message board without it.

You are right, the thread was about Mendenhall. People naturally pointed out Mendenhall’s comments about Ben. You jumped to Ben’s defense. To which I noted that Ben has made himself an easy target to Mendenhall (and other former players because of his past behavior). I think the connection is pretty clear. The topic evolved as the discussion continued.

Edit - Ironically enough, the comments about Ben were mentioned by the OP.

---Only thing surprising is how long it took to get around to MT. RM was just the 1st in a decade of turmoil with numerous confrontations with discontented players. Most ending bad.

I was waiting for an excuse to post the following which I did in another thread.

Now I don't have to wait for some tweetophile to start another bash Ben thread.

Tomlin goes unnoticed it seems as a key player in the destruction of the team. Not necessarily because of any actions he took but more likely because of his inaction. Hard to believe he could not see all this player discontent [past 10 years] and at least attempt to defuse it. "

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Head coaches only have so much power. Especially when it comes down to franchise QBs. In the end QBs tend to win out over coaches and any other players.

Whatever Tomlin's methods they seem to be overall effective. I doubt zero players on the team get cut with out big cheeses approval.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You mean like Jesse James did.......oh wait, never mind.

Regardless though if he would have crossed the GL, Foster never played another down in the NFL after that play - 5 year career shortened by mental anguish "obviously" attributed to that play. :shrug:

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I did consider it and came to the conclusion that only a Ben hater who was passive aggressive would write that. But whatever, like Ben or don't, I give exactly zero f#$ks. And I can't help it if people don't understand or appreciate sarcasm and jokes. People like that are a real hoot at parties. That is sarcasm, by the way.

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    AS I recall, his body was feet first into the end zone but the ball was a foot outside.

19. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I guess you missed the part where I acknowledged he was a HOF QB and that I was looking forward to him coming back. I am simply saying Ben hasn’t helped himself in some of these situations.

It looks like you lack an objective opinion. My guess is you are the number 1 fan in the Ben Fan Boys Club.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Wrong on both assumptions, but thanks for playing. If I were Ben's #1 fan boy, why would I use an avatar of greasy dirtbag Ben?

Anyhoo, I'm bored with this witty repartee. Peace out.

21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014

Wouldn't have mattered, the ball wouldn't have broken the plane anyway.
    You mean like Jesse James did.......oh wait, never mind.

Regardless though if he would have crossed the GL, Foster never played another down in the NFL after that play - 5 year career shortened by mental anguish "obviously" attributed to that play. :shrug:

"It sure gets late here early!" Yogi

---True! But probably not the reason he retired from the NFL.

From Wiki

On the last play of the game, a fourth down and goal from the three-yard line, Foster was in primarily as a blocker for Neil O'Donnell, but when San Diego sent no pass rush Foster ran out of the back field to become an eligible receiver on a short underneath route. The throw from O'Donnell was delayed and gave San Diego linebacker Dennis Gibson the chance to reach over Foster and bat the ball to the ground as Foster was falling to the turf of Three Rivers stadium. That play ended the Steelers' season. O'Donnell later stated that Foster was his fourth read on that play.

In 1995, Barry Foster had become expendable due to his contract, the rise of Bam Morris and the signing of former 1,000-yard running back Erric Pegram. Pittsburgh traded Foster to the expansion Carolina Panthers but he was cut in training camp when he failed a physical, after which he retired.

Later that season, Foster came out of retirement to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals after the injury to their first round draft pick Ki-Jana Carter in the pre season. But two days after signing a $1 million contract, Foster changed his mind and left the Bengals. Foster, age 26, out of football since the Carolina Panthers released him before the 1995 season began, complained that he felt like "a 60-year-old running back" after his first workout in pads with the team. He later returned his reported $300,000 signing bonus to the Bengals, left town, and retired again a few days later without playing a game. He announced that he had saved his money and had enough to retire.

22. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

What about under performing high draft picks - every team has them? They get critiqued for not producing and then people forget about them...(see Rashard Mendenhall)...I would't call criticizing under performing players hate. I would call a long time infatuation with critizining a player who is bound for canton hate. Because it's note really rooted in his football performance, but a person's opinion about who they should be.

Example...people hate ben...across the NFL. Steeler fans dislike Trey Edmunds...there's a difference. The rest of the NFL doesn't care about Edmunds.

23. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I think Stafford is Joe Flacco at best. I think he's had plenty of weapons over his career. Dude had Calvin Johnson and still couldn't consistently win. I will say he lacked a running game most years. But a lot of elite QBs that get the big pay day give up something (o-line, RB, WR, defense) and are still expected to compete and win...and he just hasn't. Coaches have changed around him...but I'd say at some point, if the organization has changed nearly everything throughout his career...and he's been the one constant...at some point you have to start thinking he may be the problem.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Speaking of players who were never heard from again. Even here, he wasn't talked about for anything but that one play. Of course, he did play with the vastly over rated Seau.

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I remember him as a player with no heart. As if he was there because it was just a job he had to put up with for the pay.