1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rashard Mendenhall Lost His Edge ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tdot Steeler Fan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    First Post on this board, but anyways recently I watched Mendenhall highlight film from 2010 on Youtube and noticed that he was always blazing through holes with insane speed and this year we haven't really seen that much (exception Jacksonville game) I dont know if the o line has a factor to do with this or Mendenhall has just lost his competive edge? Another theory I could see is that Superbowl Fumble causign mental injury that eats him alive and he is afraid of fumbling now too much, which causes him to side step and try and slide through holes instead of bursting right through them. Also Mendenhall seems to keep getting more consistent every week so maybe Im wrong and I hope I am I and hopefully Mendy has a great game @KC next week. :D

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    welcome to the board.....TTF has done an excellent job in crating a product you are sure to enjoy for a long time.....And yes I hope you are wrong

3. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    The last 2 years I thought he was gonna turn that corner and become a great running back in this league. Now I don't think he's anymore than an average rb. Hate to say it but I question his love for the game sometimes. But lets be honest, he's not running behind the best line in the league.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was interesting watching him on Sunday. He danced and juked on just about every play, but when we got within sniffing distance of the end zone he suddenly found his aggressiveness. Granted, it's nice that he put in a big effort in the red zone, where we have had problems, but an NFL running back needs to run with that kind of effort on every carry. It seems like he picks his spots.

5. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    what really makes me mad about Mendy at times is something that's not his fault - but the FO's:
    Looking at what other RBs were drafted in the same draft AFTER him: CJ2K (okay, he sucks this year), Matt Forte, Ray Rice (hell, Rice was picked two spots after SWEED :frustrated: ), Green-Ellis and Woodhead were undrafted ...

6. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will be gone after next yr.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think its the game plan.They are throwing more because of the wr corp that we have.

8. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I have never really been a big Mendenhall fan. I just didn't watch any of his college games and didn't know anything about him. RB's are a dime a dozen anyways. I will however stick up for him due to the fact that he went to Bruce Arians and specifically told him that he would be better off running behind a fullback and yet BA still doesn't employ one into his offense all that much. Why not at least put Isaac Redman and Mendy as an I back in the same backfield? Feed the ball to either player and they most likely will gain significant positive yardage. When they do put a fullback in it is Johnson and Mendenhall is probably still feeling the affects from the missed block on Clay Mathews in the SB that caused the fumble and most likely another Lombardi.

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He has been a little hestitant this year but like someone mentioned before he doesn't have the best oline to run behind. I'll give him until next year and see if he can improve especially if we draft a couple of guards to help the oline or at least one through free agency.

10. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't see anything that makes Mendy above average. With a good O-line, almost any back will do - the holes will be there. With a mediocre line, it takes a powerful, sneaky, elusive back to be good, and Mendy doesn't seem to have that. Redman seems to run better and more consistently with our O-line. Don't know why. Maybe he is stronger, or just more committed to blasting for a couple than being stealthy for a bigger gain. 'tis a mystery to me.

11. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I will say this the steelers are a passing team now. Do not expect a probowl back for this team for some time to come just average running backs who can gain a couple yards here and there. It's sad to see we were always the Run first pass second team. But with BA running the show we will never be that team again.

12. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He just dances to much. Even the competition has not made him run harder. He is getting less carries as the year goes.

13. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!: I want to see Redman more. Redman always moves forward.

14. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He now runs like Willie Parker after he broke his leg. Willlie has no burst inot the hole but still had the downfield speed. Mendenhall just does not choose to burst into the hole. He had so much success breaking the run to the outside last year that I think that he looks for that run every play.

With the steelers current offense they need guys that will get consistant running 2 to 4 yard gains to keep drives going, not losses and big gains.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ziggy Hood and Mendy's best games were the Jets and Ravens playoff games last year. I was hoping they could spring board from that into this year...but looks like they haven't.

16. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt ant of those other backs that you mentioned would be any better in the Steeler offense. We simply do not use our RBs effectively under BA's offense. Watch as Rice and Forte are 1st read primary targets in the short passing game (non-existant under BA's scheme) and watch Rice run behind Vonte -- a real FB (also non-existant in our offense). We would run those guys up the gut on the right side just like we do now and they would be no more effective than Mendy.

17. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    true, but at least Rice being unused in Black & Gold would be a lot better than him killing us every game wearing purple :D

18. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want to like Mendy. I really do. But I agree, he dances and spins WAY too much for me. Of course, if they could give him any other play besides try to run up the middle, he might have more luck. We've seen lately how much more effective those outside runs and short slant passes to the outside are. Everyone KNOWS we try to go up the middle or throw long every.single.play. at this point. I'd like to see him work the outside before I rule him out completely.

19. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    With Mendy I REALLY think his issues are all mental. He is an amazing athlete but I think he is in over his head and it is not allowing him to play with a passion or that certain aggressiveness. I just notice little things like, after any run play you ALWAYS see him looking up at the big screen just to see what he looks like and just how he is always trying to break that big run anytime he gets the ball which usually causes him to lose yards.

Granted, our current offensive scheme and philosophy is holding him back as well, but unless he really blows up I do not see them keeping him once his contract is up.

20. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sad but he was never the same after that Twitter post. :frustrated: