1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rashard Mendenhall:‘I Don’t Know If There’s A More Attacked Player’ Than Me Due To Super Bowl Fumble

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Dec 29, 2023.

1. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    If you want to have a better reputation, put the uniform on again, be productive and retire with a good reputation this time.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And without our 2nd string RB

3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Honestly, I never blamed him for the loss. I was upset when it happened, but never blamed him for the entire loss. I do remember Ben throwing a crucial INT as well. The only thing about Mendenhall that frustated me when he fumbled anytime was that he had a tendency to leap over a pile with ball in his forearm spread out like the wing of a plane. He did that quite often. Not so much on this particular fumble. He is the one who keeps doing the interviews and bringing it up. I wasn't even as mad at O'Donnel as some fans were. I was upset with the INT, but the story was the WR ran the wrong route on an anticipation throw. It was just disappointing because I'm pretty sure everyone in the stadium was confident, we were about to march down the field for a go-ahead TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    The 02 season divisional round vs the Titans - Joe Nedney flop was another tough one to stomach. Particularly painful after coming off such an incredible win vs the Browns. That said, I have no doubt the Raiders would have spread us out and picked us apart the following week. That was their specialty and our biggest weakness.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Curb Your Enthusiasm did a great skit with Buckner in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That one was brutal. In the first quarter, Troy Edwards took a stupid penalty to wipe out a 64-yard punt by Josh Miller. When he tried again, it was a short one with lousy hang time that Troy Brown returned for a touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I mentioned that they were without their top two. I knew it was D'Angelo Williams. I forgot that he started 10 games that season and ran for over 900 yards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It looks terrible when Mendenhall throws a teammate under the bus but it's ok for me to do it. Our fullback ok let me correct that our TE playing the FB position completely whiffed on a critical block on a great LB at the time. Not sure how many RB's don't fumble when hit clean like that by an all pro LB .

For some reason Tomlin or the front office always thought we don t need a FB we can just ask any TE to move over and presto your a FB.

The last true FB we had played his entire career in GB , not sure if Kuhn made it out of training camp before he was traded or released , but he played well for GB for yrs.
    We try and claim to be a run first team but haven t had a true FB since Kreider. Maybe Fumatafalla and I know that is not spelled correctly .

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He feels that way because of personal shame. He has not gotten over it, so he thinks everyone else is judging him on it. He probably meets someone new, shakes hands with them and silently thinks......'I bet you are judging me for that fumble'. This is a personal problem. It was 20 years ago, and he is long gone so we no longer care. Now we are focused on ripping apart the current Steelers that screw up.....lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I missed when You said that. We sure could have used him for dang sure.

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And we still were in it. I have personal reasons why that one hurt.

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We still almost had it and if we made it to the big one I think they could have pulled it out as much as Denver. It hurt…

13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Unlikely since they would have played in Foxboro the week after and we all know that our history in Foxboro is just awful!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't Mendenhall's fault that the play was blown up in the backfield, but yes, the fumble was on him. He had time to protect the ball correctly. He didn't. Also, two guys missed their blocks on that play, not just Johnson.

I do find it funny that Mendenhall's most recent idiocy was to denigrate white football players. In case he forgot, Matthews is white. Johnson is not.

Fuamato-Ma'afala was not a true fullback. He was a big running back.

You are forgetting Roosevelt Nix, who was a true fullback and a hell of a blocker. Derek Watt was also one, but they didn't use him.

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still think Mendenhall had one of the best quotable lines a few months back when he said “He didn’t fumble the ball, he was separated from the ball.” Which gives it a different perspective. For instance in that same game, Ben didn’t throw any interceptions. Ben threw the ball, but the other team caught it.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben was pilfered of the ball

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Not even entertaining that Racist POS.

But he did fumble away the Super Bowl. So he can get lost.

18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

19. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Persecution complex

20. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    he's exaggerating his own importance. However, here's a what if I've wondered about from that game for years:

Ike Redman came in the 3rd quarter and made 2 nifty runs for 19 yards. Then, they took him out? Why?

21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022