1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking the Steelers offseason moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 2, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pittsburgh does have $5.7 Million remaining in Cap Space. Perhaps a possible Free Agent is in the works?! A trade maybe?!

Tough to say but I would imagine that, of the two positions, Pittsburgh is likely to do something about Safety given the fact that the team still does not have a fail safe option if Minkah gets hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Not much was said about the now 2nd highest paid FB in the league Derek Watt. I am expecting to see the Steelers use Watt in ways they never did with a healthy Nix. I am curious to see how much playing time he will get in passing downs in the single back formation. What exactly are his pass blocking and receiving skills?

Absolutely no mention of Berry? I was really hoping we would have drafted one of the elite punters in the later rounds.

I like Feiler staying at RT; I have absolutely no faith in Chuks ever becoming a starter and assume he will be out the door when his rookie contract expires, and Banner is still a weight loss project.

Assuming Vince William only made the team because of his Cap numbers and will be shown the door for the same reason after the season. No idea who is going to replace him. I was thinking maybe Edwards was going to take Barrons place at LB in passing situations. Vince is 30 and his cover skills are not getting any better. I agree that William's position is the weakest point on the team right now.

I have no problem with our current backup QBs in Rudolph and Lynch. I think bringing in a QB coach and sitting tight with what we have was the right call.

It is funny as I have always seen our Defense as a 5-2
    1 Nose Tackle
    2 Defensive Tackles
    2 wide Defensive ends (OLB)
    2 inside linebackers.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our defense went from good to elite with minkah. We can not afford to lose him to injury

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they have done rather well. You are not going to replace minka with minka anyway. They have options just not on his level. ILB is a different story unless one of these young guys steps up. Which they very well could.:cool:

6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Bring back ILB Mark Barron, see if CB Cameron Sutton can play some safety, it's time to find out if S Marcus Allen can play or not, & if S Jordan Dangerfield is ready to be a legitimate backup who can make plays ...if not get them all outta here & start over with some fresh bodies

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wonder it would take to bring in Eric Reed? I bet you he is currently sitting in the clearance section of the available free agents out there. 1 yr at 1 mil?

Definitely sitting in the Dog house now. Protesting the CBA agreement and then there was the whole Kappernick thing.

Come on who doesn't want to see a Ben and Eric reunion?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Something could show up in August.

A released version player preferred, not this virus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ehhh... We got another TE you'd probably want two years ago. Watt is cool but we don't use our FB and I hear how good he is on specials but apparently all our draft picks are going to be good at that too. So I don't really see the point. Stefen is another pick you wanted 2-3 years ago but it fills a real need in LG/back up C.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Eric Berry is also a free agent, sat out 2019 but I haven’t heard that he retired. I know he has had huge injury problems but he is only 31, if he wanted back in the league for the right price he is surely better than Allen or Dangerfield. He wouldn’t be required to play every snap and he may even be a positive influence on Edmunds.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of that money is to sign their rookie class, also Colbert likes to go into the season with 5 million in cap space, there's still time to do a extension for Heyward.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Marcus Allen may be on the Dan McCullers plan. Remember, Cliff Stoudt was the first ever player to earn a pension without playing a down. There is history here.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather see Gilbert get some playing time, Barron didn't play hard all the time.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To be honest I'm over missing the NHL Playoffs and knowing the Pirates would have sucked not missing the MLB season but hopes are high for Steeler football. Although the media will never let this go and I have a bad feeling things will never be the same.