1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Random thoughts after W2 Win v MINN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Sep 17, 2017.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I have to pay $$$ for the jersey and $$$ to get in the stadium and I'm not mad..... I think I could live with standing on the sideline. :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 2
  2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I understand Ben hasn't been perfect, but dude has a 99.9 QB rating. Let's not call him horrible when he absolutely has not been horrible. We just have high expectations due to the Steelers' winning ways.

We do have a ways to go, but I think we will be just fine.

I'm loving our defense right now. The secondary will have its issues, but I think we have the personnel to do major damage week in and week out.

I'm not worried about Bell. He's making me mad, but he's too talented. He breaks a 15-20 yard run yesterday and no one has all of these conversations lol

Oh, and Bryant is a legit No. 1 IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Theres no such thing as teams we are supposed to beat, we started 2-0 last year then got hammered in Philly 34-3, then beat the chiefs, jets at home followed by losing 4 in a row to a couple of those teams we were supposed to beat, we woke up and won 7 in a row to finish the season as division champs, lets not have any let downs this year and clean up these damn penalties before they cost us a game against a team we are supposed to beat......

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think we played better against the Vikes, but need to see more. If the offense can click and put up a whole lot of points against the Bears, I would feel much better about when we play the Ratbirds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bell looks like...Jonathan Dwyer.

Here's a random thought for you (or maybe this belongs in bold predictions :shrug:). Bell will ultimately regret not signing the $12 million per year contract!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Expectations are high here. They just are.

That being said, I don't think Ben played horrible. What I think is he can play better. He missed some throws high that would have moved the chains or led to big plays. He had great numbers, but somehow I left the game thinking about how much he left on the table.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    It looks like Bell has lost TWO steps, he just looks like he has cement on his feet. He looks like he is not giving it his all.....it looks like it, I'm sure he is, but still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The only thing that made me mad yesterday was the defense giving up a 3rd and 20 for a first down.

That can't happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. rmorphy

Nov 28, 2011
    Where the hell was Silverback?? No snaps? Chikillo as backup to Watt????

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think he will come around. He did get 85 yards on a decent very good defense. But, if he keeps playing like this no way are Steelers going to re tag him for 15 million, or give him a big contract.

I think they need to start getting him involved more in the passing game. He almost had a huge pass play yesterday, but the Vikings player made one heck of a play to tackle him and keep him from getting up field, because Bell had a wall of blockers in front of him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rmorphy

Nov 28, 2011

That's what I'm talking about. I remember that play perfectly. No way he gets tackled like that last year. He would've gone for 20 yards at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't like the throw deep, throw deep, throw deep offense. just move the chains and take a shot once in awhile. quit killing drives. we would be a much better scoring offense that way. this is flacco ball. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Team knows that Bell is not right . I think a part of throwing Deep is to help create some more space for Bell . As I stated in the Bell thread it is time to give Conner more work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i just wish they would run conner more because it was 80+ degrees out there today. wear the D-line down some and then bust bell loose. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

This is not your fathers QB rating. 99.9 ain't what it used to be. Ben's QB rating is 12th in the NFL now, behind Jay Cutler and ahead of Jameis Winston. So it's not great by any stretch. It's early in the season yet, but I don't think it's unfair for fans to expect more him.

He hasn't been horrible. But he hasn't been very sharp either. And I wonder if we're seeing signs of Ben's decline phase.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The record says they are playing winning football. I won't lay the template of the first two games over the the better teams on the schedule because it's useless to be honest. One play at a time, one series at a time, etc. As long as I'm seeing continual improvement, I'm satisfied.

One thing they do have to clean up is the penalties. Five or less next week at the Bears shouldn't be the goal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    As long as you win, adjustment are easier to make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thank you Grasshopper! (and I agree :thumbs_up:)

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    My thoughts are we barely beat a journeyman, non-legit QB. If we don't play better, once we face a decent team, we will get trounced. I am pleased with 2-0 but am under no delusions that this team, playing this way, will go any where. As it stands, the Ravens would destroy us. But, like it or not, slow starts are the DNA of Tomlin-Ben teams. We may be able to stumble over the Bears for a win, as they are bad. But if we don't wake up, decent teams will beat us, maybe with ease.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs and Patriots would destroy Steelers if the offense doesn't pick it up. Titans and Ravens could also soundly beat the Steelers.

As far as I'm concerned... Steelers are 7th place, at best, in the AFC. No dice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    "heavily favored" would have been more appropriate wording. Nonetheless, it's nice to see us pick us wins against teams most would expect us to beat. A lot of fans question Tomlin when these expected wins are not wins. I was just stating a random thought that most don't think about until we lose to teams we are supposed to beat or heavily favored.

22. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

22 first downs to 14
    243 passing yards to 167
    105 rushing yards to 91
    0 turnovers to 1
    34.22 minutes TOP vs 25.38
    26 pts to 9

At no point were they ever trailing, or were they ever in danger of losing the game.

How is that barely beating a journeyman, non legit qb (who also happens to have a probowl defense)?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Only thing I see that I don't understand is how you say Bryant needs to improve his hands and get into game shape....

What drops did you see from him? hell he got mugged on the deep ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Flacco won a Super Bowl throwing deep :shrug: