1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Random thoughts after W2 Win v MINN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Sep 17, 2017.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    After watching 2 games, let me share some thoughts:

Offense
    • There's been an obvious layoff after not playing in the preseason. Most notorious: Offensive rythm, Ben & Bell.
    • Playcalling has had a layoff too. And that's Haley to blame.
    • O-line looks not in sync too, so far, in the running game and in zone blocking.
    • That said, this (layoff, sync and rythm) should get going in the next following weeks.
    • I'm in about going for 2 after early TDs.
    • Unacceptable, to have a delay of game penalty after a TD. This is just discipline.
    • Bryant still has it. And he's hungry.
    • And, somewhere in the world, Ward smiled watching that Smith-Schuster block!
    • Look for Eli Rogers to increase his role, as AB and MB get more attention. A possible opening for J Smith-Schuster
    • Conner has shown bright spots, but has been limited (as our running game). My early reading suggests he'll not get his share of runs, at least first half of the season. Bell will be in there as long as he can breathe.

Defense:
    • For years, it was painfull. It seems, at last, our D can be fun to watch once again!
    • Sacks are important. QB pressures too, and front 7 has been able to create it by winning man-on-man matchups.
    • Man coverage has been used more often. And that has helped front 7 to create pressure.
    • Turnovers will come. Just don't get too anxious. DBs have been playing the ball a bit conservative, but that will develop as the season unfolds.
    • I don't know your expectations of V Williams taking Timmons' spot. But so far, so good for him.
    • D backups have performed very well so far (Chikillo and Alualu)
    • That said, hopefully Watt and Tuitt will come back soon. They have potential to turn this Defense from good to great.
    ST :
    Dirty Red should be the ST captain.
    Our KR unit will be better this year. Simply, we have better personnel and returners.

Coaching and discipline:
    • Besides O' playcalling (see above), that delay of game penalty (see above) and the offense layoff (see above):
    • Penalties have been an issue, as both drivekillers to our offense and keeping alive opponents drives. 20+ penalties in the first 2 games is unacceptable. Past years, this stat has proven to be a difference maker between winning and losing close games. It should be fixed before W4.
    • Depth proves to be curcial: We all knew about WR. But what about OLB depth?
    • Just 2 weeks, but liked so far what I've seen from 3 draft picks: Watt, Smith-Schuster and Conner.
    What are your thoughts after 2 weeks?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    My random thought is how impressed I was by Burns breaking up that back shoulder throw. Those throws always work but he threw his arm back and knocked the ball down. I know Burns had a coupe of penalties but I thought he played well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well they got some more of the ugly out today. Need to keep working on the dummy as well. Hope to have that worked out by next week. I think they need to spell bell a little more honestly. I think the D played well and probably would have against Bradford. The front 7 looked good today. Nice to see Schuster settling in and getting some touches. His block was bad ass I agree! Liked how the O quit forcing everything Browns way in the second half and didn't tend to swing for the fences as much when not needed. Still got to get those kicks into TD's but glad Boz is still looking solid.

Bears offer another good tune up game but shouldn't be taken lightly at all.

Hope TJ gets nursed up quick! And wouldn't mind seeing silverback gets some snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Great points. Agree with you on pretty much all of them. Another positive I see this year is how many kicks are being blasted into the endzone rather than landing on the 2 or 3.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know there is a thread here about our play calling but imo this game was a tale of 2 halfs. I felt the play calling on offense the first half was pretty good but the 2nd half wasn't. Just because something isn't working don't mean there wasn't a plan. IMO they were trying to get Bell going then they noticed the safety's moving up and then went to the deep stuff. The reverse was a nice touch.

On defense I really like but I saw in the first half. They brought pressure from different spots and moved guys around. At one point I saw Dupree and Watt coming on the same side. I like seeing the safety and CB blitz. The 2nd half was a lot different looked like the din't bring as much as often.

I like James but his blocking is pretty bad and knowing that you can't leave him alone on a good pass rusher.

Really felt Ben was trying to get AB going maybe almost to much but it was nice to see MB and Rogers have nice games.

Boswell is a plan out right blessing, so glad we have him.

Let's not forget just because we were playing a back up QB there defense is still pretty darn good, so it wasn't like we were playing an easy team. Our offense had a tough match up and while there were some bad things there were also some bright spots like MB and Rogers. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    We are now 2-0 against teams we were supposed to beat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good observations and breakdown WWW.
    I think going for 2 when unwarranted doesn't make sense and will cost them eventually. That's not Steelers football, imo.
    The secondary will get exposed by a better offense.
    Wasting timeouts and delay of game penalties are inexcusable, whether it's the fault of the coaches, the players, or both.
    I guess I'm going to have to adapt to Haley's play calling style, but I don't have to like it.
    I know they won, but a duplicate of last season isn't what I'm looking forward to, but it's kinda what I'm seeing so far. The next couple weeks should be telling 'going forward'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    some obvious improvements are needed but getting the W's certainly are important as well. Hopefully we'll start gelling in all aspects of the game soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They beat the teams they're supposed to beat :herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep the w's coming one game at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This year I think they're supposed to beat all of the teams

• Like Like x 1
  14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I know the team has a lot invested in bell.... but I scratched my head a bit after he was averaging a pitiful 2 yards a carry, early.... Conner came in and rattled off 9 yards.... and never saw another touch (at least that I saw).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I completely understand where you're coming from, but the only way that Bell gets where he needs to be is through consistent snaps, and we HAVE to give those to him early. I'm furious at Bell right now.

Whether he's hurt or just rusty, he's obviously NOT where he needs to be, BUT, Bell is a legit Super Bowl piece and we need him to make a run -- Conner is good, but young and won't get those opportunities yet.

I do like Conner, though.

16. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I agree with Groutbrook. That secondary is still questionable and a good QB could kill us. When the Vikes made a first down on a 3rd. and 20, I said here we go again, sos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah it's funny you mention the 3rd and 20 that one really got me going. When we let a back up QB do that to us it makes me think same old crap. I am hoping these few tune up games gets our secondary some experience playing together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Get the running game going!

19. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Where was Deebo when Watt got hurt. I get Chick is younger and we are saving Deebo, but not one snap. He is gonna get pissed one of these games.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not for long.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Would you really be pissed, if you got paid 3 million a season to put on a Steelers uniform?

Man I would be so mad I couldn't take it. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We're 2-0 but we've got a ways to go. There are good signs defensively but we still have issues all over the field. Most concerning IMO is our running game. The O-line looks pretty bad run blocking right now. Villanueva was beaten like a drum on almost every play yesterday, TE's look terrible blocking. Ben looks rough so far, he's not seeing the field well right now and his accuracy is way off. Someone besides Brown has to step it up at WR. Against a good offense I think we'd be in big trouble right now. 2 bad teams were as big of a reason we are 2-0 as any. Granted I'm thrilled that we beat 2 bad teams. That in it self is progress. It's just tough to really judge our defense just yet. Our offense is all talk and ego and little results. So far Brown has been the only impressive player offensively.

On a positive note I think most of our issues will work them selves out. Ben will get sharper with time. Bryant has a chance to be a probowl WR right now, he just needs to get back into game shape and improve his hands, the O-line is out of sync - I think with practice they'll get better, Bell should get right after 4-5 games assuming the O-line gets it together, our pass rush seems much improved, if we can keep our D-line healthy the sky is the limit. Honestly the only concern I have that I don't think will be fixed is our safety play. Mitchell is horrible. Davis is inconsistent. Still too many mental errors in our secondary. Our #1 pick next year (if it's not a QB) should be safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    You are 100% accurate, that number has to change after the next game. :cool:

24. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Deebo be like.. let them "younguns" take the reigns I'm gonna enjoy the ride this year. I'm still the man!!!

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I can't tell if it's rust from holding out or if Bell lost a step and those elusive cuts. We have played some really good d-lines. I guess we find out next weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1