1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Random thoughts after L @DEN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Jan 8, 2012.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    It's a shame we lost this one. We had our opportunities, but let them go.
    It was a nice season, hard fought, and full of emotions for everyone. I hate to lose games, and to see my Steelers lose this kind of games, but life goes on, there will be a sunrise tomorrow and a lot of games to be played next season!

Here are my some of my thoughts after the game.

Our O dropped points our first 2 series: getting a TD instead of a FG on either of them would have changed the outcome. Costly mistakes by our OL (sacks, bad snap) when approaching to FG territory (close to halftime, near the end of the game) were obvious issues too.
    But, still, I think our D gave the game to them. 29 points to the Broncos was not on our budget for sure.

-Redman is our new #1 RB. Mendy enters last year of his contract. Redman's performance probably lowered the tag for keeping Mendenhall (RB FA market isn't big, particullarly with so many backs coming from college and with Mendy's injury history). Rushing 120 yds behind this OL means a lot.

-Harrison made exactly what he needed to: hit somebody low. Yeah, it looked like a clean hit for some, and as a cheap shot for others, but let's not lose sight in this one: That's what the Commish was asking for him to do: hit lower. Wonder what will they say now to him.

-Cothcery must be a Steeler next years to come. He has earned a new contract (although he's 30, he can still be a #4WR for at least 2 years).

-Ward will retire. And should. It's a shame to see him sitted on the bench while we run 4 WR sets. He got his milestone, and he must be back as a WR coach with us soon. He's truly a legend, and a future HOF. I will really miss him, he's been my favorite for so many years, but I prefer to see him retire than to see him having a 2012 season where he gets 15 catches (most on bubble screens for short yardage). Next stop: Canton!

-Clark, Hampton & Kiesel out = not a single clean hit on Tebow. For sure, less blitz were called because of Clark's absence, and that shortened our chances of getting after the QB, but pressure from the front 3 was close to nonexistant.

-Heyward has potential. Not sure if he is a better fit as a 3-4 DE more than he could be with a 4-3 as DE or a 3-4 OLB.

-We need immediate help at: LG, RG & CB Either with big FA acquisitons (which will not happen, hey, we're the Steelers and we don't do that!) or with high draft picks. This is why:
    -Ike played lights out all season. Today, as in last SB, he was torched often. He'll be kept and probably starting, but is aging and gets torched on crucial games.
    -Gay shines one week, shrinks the next. Is this what we need? He is a FA, so...
    -Legursky is not a dependable backup, either at G or C. He costed us 2 sacks and a fumble (at least 3 points prior to halftime). We should let him go
    -Foster, Essex & Kemo are not the solution to our OL problems.
    -Probably, asking Colon to move to RG for next season could help. With him back, I guess our Oline will be:
    LT Starks, LG: FA/Draft pick, C Pouncey, RG: Colon / Draft Pick / FA, RT: Gilbert / Colon.

-Mundy needs reps to understand how it's different to be a FS in a team with Polamalu as SS. Last play (OT) both of them miscommunicated and both got into the box at the same time. That was what Tebow saw and threw on a single coverage, where Ike was 2 steps behind with no help. Still like Mundy, his style and character. Clark will have tough competition next season for the starting job.

-Farrior was a great player for this team, but I guess we saw his last game.
    He should retire too. Has looked slow all season, and tired during some series. He can't cover a RB or TE anymore.

-A Smith will retire. Probably the most underrated player on this team.

-For which players this one was the last game as Steelers?-Foote, Hampton, McFadden, A Battle, Dixon, Leftwich, W Allen, Essex, Foster?

Our ST situation:
    -Suisham must be let go. He made 3 FGs today, but he's not a reliable kicker. We need to improve and get an advantage from a strong leg kicker.
    -Kapinos should remain with us. Sepulveda is a good punter, but with delicate injury issues

Coaching Staff:
    -Will Coach T will bring Raheem Morris as D assistant? Coach LeBeau will be back (I hope), but Coach T needs to start thinking about the post-LeBeau era.
    -What will happen to our O coaching staff? I guess Coach T brings Arians back (hope not), but will he get any help?

Probably more thoughts will come by, but for now, I guess it's it.

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    I have to add something that really touched me.
    Watching Clark on the sidelines, screaming and with fire in his eyes, probably willing to give his life to enter the field really gave me goosebumps. That's the feeling that some of our guys missed today. He's a leader, no doubt about it.

Remembered me of the movie Friday Night Lights, the emotional speach and the guy who couldn't play his last game at high school.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Mundy really blew that one. Ike is going to take the heat on that, but it was Mundy who should have played back. Ike saw it at snap but it was to late.

4. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I went to the game..... holy chit....

Here is what I saw.

1. Warm up- my god, Suisham- swiss ham , what ever. They guy missed a few 20 yard kicks. He is brutal. He was like 65% in practice. Does anyone feel confident with him kicking?

2.Agree on Redman being the man. He runs down hill. No dancing, no stopping- he gets up field.

3. Dared Tebow to beat us. I agree with the plan.. He hasnt shown he can do it. Well, he got most of his 10 completions. Seemed like there was no safety help and Ike was put in bad position on their big play WR. They planned not to let him run and throw it to beat them.

4. WR s! WTF!?? Hustle back to huddle. When they are getting to the huddle with 15 seconds on the play clock there is a problem. Delay penalties and burning TO because the WR get to huddle late is bad coaching and terrible effort by WR's.

5. 2 minute drill at end of both halfs..... this has been a problem in a few games. End of half snap over Bens head? End of reg fumble strip?

6. 5 wide formation- one time Brown left totally uncovered! How that was missed I have no idea. I was looking from my seat in shock that wasnt capitalized on.