1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Notes from OTA's (via twitter)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, May 23, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Here's some of what I'm seeing mostly from Mark Kaboly of the Trib and some from Ed Bouchette... With the players as their sources...

• David Johnson is moving to fullback exclusively (my guess is Heath and Pope as only TE's until Saunders is back)

• Steve McClendon is listed at 280, but says he weighs 325 (plenty big enough to start if Casey isn't ready)

• Cortez Allen running with the first team nickel spot

• Trai Essex told to concentrate on LT, but ready for all 5 spots

• Redman says the new offense is supposed to be easier on the OL (not as many slow developing plays Im guessing)

• Ryan Clark yelling across field to Tomlin: "If your QBs going to hold on to ball that long, you better draft some more OL in 1st round" -- Tomlin yells back "I'm going to draft a safety next year ... a free safety." :lolol:

• Worilds continues to have a wrap on his left hand. Keisel excused this week because of a family event per Jim Wexell

• Predicing more "quick hitter" passes from new offense. Haley makes "Keep Big Ben clean" a priority.

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Hahaha...that was a funny exchange...I love Clark!

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's some funny stuff right there. :lolol:

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Maybe Johnson could improve by focusing on one position instead of 2?

I figured Allen would be the #3 for now.

Glad they are having Essex focus more on LT...which should mean no J Scott there as a backup (barring injuries)

Faster developing plays would be great...easier on the OL by not having to hold blocks as long/etc...and decrease injuries maybe too.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course we'll have to wait for the season to start, but Haley seems to be saying all the right things. Good one, Tomlin.

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    • Steve McClendon is listed at 280, but says he weighs 325 (plenty big enough to start if Casey isn't ready)

That is a pretty big difference.

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I think guys' listed weights are whatever they weighed in at their rookie season, especially for a guy like McClendon who hasn't been a household name yet... He probably was 280 2-3 years ago, it's not like he put on all that weight in the past 6 months.

10. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    thats why we lose in denver.. NO CLARK... clark = vocal team leader ..love ryan clark

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It might sound like fun jokes, but I believe there is some truth to Tomlin's barb.

Why D. Johnson at fullback? I'd rather a rookie who did it in college for cheaper than this guy. I don't see any value in him at all. He's taking up a spot more than he's holding one down.

I really like Clark and even more now that he said that.

I don't think the Scott's will be here this season.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Also nice piece on the Steelers main page.....As I have complained about for years the BA Offense would not use the PA,he had no Love for the PA game,and he would not use the RB in the passing game nearly enough....Redman says this O will do that and the WR'S say it is based on PA...This tells me we are going to run the Gap system .......

If you guys play Fantasy ball you better draft Redman and Miller.....There will be a lot of balls thrown their way and Redman will get a lot of totes.....The Gap system is a perfect system for our Team...All of the plays work together,the use of the PA forces the D to respect the run it also forces them to cover short zones after the PA,this will lead to a lot more 1 on 1's and a lot less blitzing.....

It is football 101 which BA had no clue about....Make the D defend the entire field on each and every play and don't give the play away with the set...Almost every play should have a run/pass option....As a result our Redzone scoring will go up.......

Not to beat the dead horse ,but BA killed this Team his play calling cost us the last playoff win.....I looked back at the tape and broke down the play by play....He had a bunch of crappy calls....The 1st. being 2nd. and 4 on the Bronco 38 with a time out and pass, attempted pass fumble no points.....Should have called 2 runs got the First then called Time and took a few high percentage quick throws after our guys where settled minus 3 points at least BA Ball.....In the 2nd. half he did crazy things again Redman gain of 8 then pass,pass, punt ....He did that Twice....He also called 2 drives that where pass,pass,pass, both resulted in punts and no First Downs...

The reason this was huge is Redman was running all over them yet he only called 17 runs with him while the guy was averaging over 6.0 a carry.....Haley will not be that dumb....As stated if and when Haley passes he will still show run and as a result the pass will have a lot better chance of success...

I predict Redman will have a 200 yard game against Denver 140 or so on the ground and around 60 in the passing game probably 2 or 3 TD'S....

Haley will not be scared to pound Redman and when they adjust he will make them pay.....I love the PA and that is why I hated BA ball his PA game was a joke.....Heck hard to show PA on 3rd. and 1 from a 5 WR set....As I have always stated I have NP with passing the ball ,but do so from running sets and throw the ball all over the field and use all the options.....

I know Haley is a Triangle guy he will create that triangle with designed routes to specific guys to attack the Defensive scheme...It will have built in adjustments for after they adjust more than that he will force them to adjust to open up the play he wants to torch them with....That's a Coach ....We finally have one now as a OC.......

13. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    @ Keisel excused this week because of a family event per Jim Wexell".....Why would he need to be excused? Attendance at OTA's are voluntary.

14. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As long as this does NOT mean more WR screens. Please God let that play be gone forever!!!!

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As I've stated previously Ryan Clark is by far my favorite player. He was absolutely fantastic with the fans everytime I've been to TC. He's a natural leader and one heck of a guy.

16. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Why did people hate that so much? It was like an automatic 5 yards every time.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually he will run it ,but the BA way will be gone...He will run it from a 2 WR/2 RB/1 TE set ,it will be off a quick PA and he will actually have 3 routes instead of BA'S lonely route....Screen to outside WR coming towards the QB and the Center and Guard leads,just like 35 trap....The inside WR blocks outside or sells the block and runs the wheel....The TE blocks down or sells the block and runs a quick seam...

The play should come out in about 3 seconds which allows you to create a nice route triangle,that's how you run this play to attack a D and you must call the routes to all the guys to keep them guessing......Wow what a concept plays that can attack more than 1 spot on the field......

You will enjoy the Haley WR screen package.......

18. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Good Post SBD... I've already seen all those except the Clark/Ryan Exchange.....

Thanks!!!!!

Cajun-

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The problem with your insistence on the PA as the key to success is that Ben is frankly awful at selling a play fake. Likewise, it doesn't matter how many routes there are, if Ben's already decided where to throw it.

I'm not bashing Ben or defending BA (move on! really!), here. Just saying that there are more factors involved ithan you're allowing for here.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not really take the WR screen it will be called by the OC who gets the route and Haley will practice it....If you want to get the CB up to the LOS you call the WR screen,if you want the SS to hug the sideline you call the Wheel route,if you want the Safety out of the box or off the hashes you call the TE seam.....All of these are from the same pass play and the OC tells Ben who the play is designed to....The most common progression is WR screen Wr Screen then the SS adjust you throw TE a few times and then he adjust again and Bam now you have the Wheel for a big play...

There is a huge difference between BA ball and a PA game.....Ben sucked at PA because his OC sucked at it....The weakest link of our Team is now gone and you will see the Difference....

Haley will teach Ben how to run the PA because Haley knows it's the best way to stretch a D and protect your QB....So no need to move on we will all see just how bad BA hurt this Team.....RB'S,WR'S and OL have already stated they love the new system..Do you know why?Because he is actually teaching a system and the players know it is a smart one unlike the BA Ball let's all run around until Ben finds someone....Again the OC is who allowed that ,and those days are over.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Wow i guess you dont remember when we had an actual threat of running all the time with bus and parker ben waa very good at play action

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Add to the list:

Troy P says he will be at ALL OTAs as he thinks the defense has lost some leaders and he feels his place is with the team.

Also Haley is focusing on Ben getting rid of the ball quicker and Ben says its hard to NOT extend the play....

Cajun-

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I remember in a SB with Bettis & FWP Ben set the record for worst QB rating..... of course he was quite young.

He's a vet now and a improved OL & run game will only help.

Cajun-

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    i dont care who you are if the other team doesnt think you are running pa wont work

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not real sold on a 50-50 balanced attack by this offense.

i'd much rather it be 80-20.

80% TD's -20% FG's everytime we have the ball. :roll: :popcorn: :cool: