1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rams Fan here

Discussion in 'Football Talk With Other Fans' started by RamzFanz, Sep 22, 2015.

1. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Thanks for letting me chat with you good people. I like to get scoops on upcoming games and will answer anything asked. I go to every open TC and home game so, I know what I see and hear.

I'm not surprised every prediction has been Steelers so far in your prediction thread. The Steelers offense is pretty damned good. Maybe the best in the NFL with Bell. We'll see.

What to watch for with the Rams:

Quick is due back, he's not injured at all and didn't start the season injured either. He was having a breakout season last season and has a ton of potential. He's only been out because the Rams are deep at WR and we needed a ST gunner. That was clearly a mistake in my mind.

Gurley may start. Probably not a lot to see there because I doubt he sees a full 1/4 of plays. Still, this kid has Bell written all over him and will be a force some time early this season I think.

Rams D line was stifled by Washington using 2 and 3 TE sets and running the ball. It was very impressive and will be hard for anyone to repeat IMHO. That Washington line is the real deal.

With Quick, Britt, Tavon, and Foles, if the o line can hold, you can expect a shootout to possibly match your own. Foles will air it out. He ain't scared. Britt and Quick are both big "go up and get it" and "fight for the ball" receivers. Austin is a speed demon as is the invisible, but high potential, Givens.

The Skins were so afraid of Austin on punt returns, they short punted every punt giving up field position to stop him. You do not want Austin to hit the open field. Pass, Run, PR, whatever, he's the most elusive player in the NFL IMHO.

Rams secondary is hurt and suspect but still not easy to beat. The o-line is sucking less, maybe.

Questions:

Is the Steeler o-line good?

The D-line?

Secondary?

Anyone who like to learn and teach feel free to drop by Rams On Demand, but you'll have to leave much of the smack talk at home.

Good lu...

...nch. Good lunch!

2. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Oh, and I see predictions of a quiet dome or Steelers' fans taking over...don't count on it if the Rams are in the game.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome :drinks:

I don't know what to make of the Rams yet. Are they the team that stunned the Seahawks or the team that lost to the Redskins?

I think it Foles is hot, he could make life difficult for our secondary, clearly the weakest unit on the team.

Our offensive line has been a crux in the past but is shoring up nicely, even without Pouncey.

We have some good players along the defensive line, Tuitt and Heyward are very good, the linebackers are a work in progress, Shazier was all over the place last game making plays, Dupree is impressing for only 2 games under his belt, Timmons is Timmons, hes a beast.

I think the Rams are putting together a formidable team, don't think they are there quite yet and may need to upgrade at QB position before they arrive. Not sure I'm sold on Foles.

Rams D will need to bring its A-game, Steelers have a lot of weapons plus this marks the return of Bell, which will help to counter your pass rush, hes great out of the backfield and safety valve for Ben.

Steelers travel well but don't know who is predicting we will take over your house, unless they live there and familiar with your stadium :hmm:

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Our secondary is extremely weak. Easily our weakest unit. I can see Foles exploiting it for a lot of yardage. The question is if those yards will also add up to points. They also tend to have trouble with decent TEs, so I'd expect to see the Rams utilize Jared Cook quite a bit. But the trouble with making these kinds of predictions is that the Steeler D has no real identity yet. They're kind of feeling their way around playing trial and error. The only thing certain is that their front 7 CAN produce good pressure when asked to. But if the game plan calls for dropping LBs into coverage, and only rushing 4, that pressure wilts a little.

And Shazier is a beast only now learning to rampage.

Our o-line is solid. Far better than they were 2-3 years ago. I won't call them "great" yet, but they can get the job done. Most importantly, they're giving Ben tons of time lately. And giving Ben time is one of the worst things a D can do.

Bell is coming back this week, and he's probably in the best shape of his life. If StL can't contain him quickly, he's going to cause major headaches, because then the deep passing game comes wide open. And don't forget what a major threat he is receiving the ball too. The Rams will have to put a lot of pressure on Ben, contain Bell, and stay VERY disciplined. It's a tall order. It can be done, but barring the Steeler offense making self-destructive mistakes, the Rams should be happy if they hold them under 30 points.

Which makes the Rams offense scoring all the more important. To have any hope of winning, they'll need TDs. And more than 2 of them. FGs won't cut it. (But I would say the same for the Steelers)

I don't know St. Louis's stadium or fans very well. But Steeler fans have a very well earned reputation for "taking over stadiums." Even when they don't become the majority, they have a sizeable enough amount of fans to nullify any home field advantage noise wise. This isn't an idle boast. They do it consistently. Granted, some teams fans are more loyal, and the tickets just aren't there to be had. But when they are, Steeler fans invade en masse. ;)

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Munch has turned our o line around big time. It's not perfect but it is miles above what it has been in recent history. I watched the Rams game vs Seattle a couple of weeks ago and thought their front 7 was incredibly stout. There will definitely be a lot of black and gold in St. Louis this weekend. And since you're from St. Louis I also would like to say "Go Cubbies!" LOL!

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about the rams d-line.. at the same time, i'm getting increasingly more confident in our o-line..
    The rams have what appears to be a very good collection of possession receivers that won't keep anyone up at night.. At the same time, our secondary seems to make every passing game look potent
    I love the 1-2 combo of gurley and mason, and they will be the bane of many defenses existence once they are both completely healthy..... thankfully, neither of them are fully healthy right now
    Tavon Austin is our version of Dri Archer..... among the fastest in the league, but not translating on the field

This game is going to be decided by the defensive fronts... whichever front does the best will determine who wins this

7. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Thanks for the replies.

This game has me baffled. I just can't nail down who the Rams are yet or who will even play.

Foles can go full shootout and the Rams receivers are under rated because of past QB and OL performance, but that may just be wishful thinking too. It's there in practice and on paper, but we have yet to see it in a game consistently.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I get all the Skins games here in Virginia. They have a good O line (when Griffin isn't in). The Steelers O line probably isn't as good but the skill players are more dynamic. Ogletree and Laurinaitis (Road Warrior Animal's kid) make a lot of tackles and the Steelers are going to have to get hats on those guys. Heath Miller and Will Johnson will be busy.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My concern with Sunday's game stems from our game at the Jets last season. The Jets have a good defensive front, and were able to limit the effectiveness of our run game. For some reason Ben was completely out of sorts against a weak and depleted Jets secondary, and the whole offense collapsed. The Jets offense was pretty pedestrian, but it was more than enough that day.

I kind of worry about a similar result. We're playing on the road against a team with a great defensive front that is highly susceptible to big plays in the passing game. The opponent also has a fairly pedestrian offense, but our defense can be inconsistent. The difference that gives me confidence is that the Rams front is not particularly stout against the run, whereas the Jets were beasts in run defense.

I see a Steelers win by around 7 - 10 points, but I wouldn't be surprised at a nail biter.

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  11. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1