1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Radical thought on the combine

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by thorn058, Feb 29, 2012.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is just me spinning off an idea just to put it out there no real basis or evidence to support it just a radical theory. Now that the league has taken steps to rein in the somewhat out of control rookie contracts and the 50 million dollar signing bonuses by putting in place the start of a rookie salary cap could college players coming out in the draft put less into the scouting combine? Always before the combine has been the first official measuring stick on where a prospect could go in the draft as far as overall pick and what round. This also played into what their agent would try to get them in their initial deal when drafted. Now with limits being put into place on those deals can college players have bad showings at the combine and be more honest in interviews knowing that their individual workouts and pro-days could lead to better showings on a team they would rather play on. In other words a more calculated move by the player to play for a team that is a contender rather than a perennial loser. Take Vontaze Burfict for example maybe he is lazy as some are saying maybe he does have problems that make him undraftable but could it be a calculated risk in order to not be drafted by a team like the Seahawks or the Browns or the Chiefs or any team that seems to be rebuilding every year?

See with a rookie pay scale in effect there is nothing to offset getting drafted by a horrible team, there will be lots of money paid to rookies but not like there has been in the years past. So why not tank your combine showing if it can cause you to drop to a team you want to play for and could win a championship with instead of toiling on a losing team for three or four years before getting a bigger FA deal to go where you want to go. I know it would sound like a best case scenario to have that happen but could a college player actually think about going that route? Like I said just a radical thought.