1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question. What is Everyone Afraid Of???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Oct 8, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. That's why I find it so strange that people are against it. At least when people were against someone staring over Pickett.....I understood it. He was a Pitt player, and We actually drafted him, and had Him under contract, but Here....I don't get it. I keep hearing it's not the Qb. Well then prove it's not.
    I mean if they have this much faith it's not the Qb....then what will it hurt???

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Uhhhh.....win games, score points, and stop making the Defense have to win every game. This is a not hard question.
    See I answer questions when asked. I don't write a big page letter so I can skirt around the question.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me; come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me; come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me….

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only one afraid here is you. Your terrified of having to root for a running QB :lolol:

You can like Fields all you want as a person but that doesn’t change the fact that you despise running QB’s. You don’t even like Josh Allen and he is actually a great running QB that can do it all. Why? Because you are old school and don’t like QB’s running, they are QB’s and are supposed to pass the ball. You can deny it but you know damn well that’s true.

Me, I don’t give a **** how a QB moves the ball, first downs are first downs, TD’s are TD’s whether a QB runs for them or passes for them.

You want to bench Fields when he’s not even playing poorly, this is the best ball he has played since entering the league and continues to improve and you want to sit him, what kind of message does that send to the team??? Even last week which wasnt a great game for him, he led them down the field and gave them the lead which the defense then choked away.

You keep using Mason as an example yet refuse to acknowledge that Rudolph is a pocket passer and Wilson is not. Wilson abandons pockets quicker than Pickett and Fields combined. He’s a QB that likes to be on the move, so no, he won’t have the same effect on making the line look better the way Rudolph did. Wilson will only get himself knocked out of a game and then you have to go back to Fields. Oh, sorry for benching you for no reason, here is your job back because the old guy got hurt.

The only reason you play Wilson is if you think he can lead them to the SB and that’s effing laughable. He’s at best a game manager at this point of his career. So if he’s not winning them a SB and he’s not the future what is the freaking point of putting him in.

It’s more than about just this season, we need to find out if Fields can be the guy and you’re not going to find that out with him on the bench. After evaluating him for a full season they will have a much better idea of how to proceed entering the draft and maybe just maybe along the way he improves enough over the course of the season to get them a playoff win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why didn't you start this thread when they were 3-0 :shrug:?

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You will remember I started a I Like Justin Fields thread then. I still like Justin Fields, but I'm a Steelers fan 1st, and foremost......if a different Qb can get us scoring more points.....I don't give a F**k who he is....., and I think it would be a disservice to not even check, and see. I get it some people are more fans of players than the team, but I'm not one of them. We have at the very least a top 10 Defense, but a bottom 24th, and lower offense. Why wouldn't we look for other ways to make the Offense run better with what we have??? If it's not the Qb....then what do we lose....Fields isn't going anywhere.....he can always start again.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL
    You probably like that tune. LoL. My Uncle who's a Drummer is a huge fan of them.
    How else can I answer each comment that shows up in my alerts. I'm not going to just change my answer for fun. LoL

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its only games and further uncertainty. Like if we throw Russ in and he plays bad, we lose. It's no different than Justin, but then it adds another layer of how long we give Russ before we give up on him. Does he get a game? 2? 5? Who are the players behind? If the locker room prefers Justin then there isn't any reason at all to put Russ in since he was more given the job than he won it... Lots of uncertainty involved. Obviously if he plays great then awesome, problem solved. We just open ourselves up to losing the entirety of the season. We have to be pretty damn sure we are willing to go with Russ for the rest of the year if we do it. Its why it was easy to go with Mason when we did last year. Nothing to lose. We stand to lose a lot more at this stage of the season for making a wrong decision or an unpopular one in the locker room.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Personally I'd go with Justin until the bye week then make a decision for the rest of the season. Whoever we choose is the starter for the rest of the season (barring injury). I don't think Justin's play is conducive of getting benched. Him and his progression has been about the only bright spot that this offense has seen this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So don't change anything. LoL
    You will know within 2 to 3 games if it shows any difference. I could understand if we......
    1. Had any of the Qbs under contract beyond this year, or....
    2. We were scoring points, but we aren't either of them.
    We are about 24th scoring, and few teams haven't even played as many games as we have.
    You honestly don't believe a different Qb could do the same???

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only way this idea is even viable is if they have had this dialogue from the start. If Tomlin made it clear to Fields and the team that Fields is just keeping the seat warm until Wilson is better. I don’t think thats the case though, I think the most that was ever stated is that Wilson was in the poles position. Thats not the same as being named the starter. Unless I missed that Tomlin announcement. Possible, I’m exceptionally busy that time of year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Your idea, and mine are way different on not playing poorly. We are 24th in the league in scoring, and some of those teams haven't played 5 games like we have. I already said I hope He was the 1st Running Qb to be great. Why I'm I scared. If it doesn't work You can always go back to him, but what if it does work, and that is what frightens some of You. Because You won't get to blame everything else. Me I'm a Steeler fan.....I could give a F**k who is playing Qb.....as long as we aren't in the bottom of scoring......AGAIN.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t get the infatuation with his running. If you ride with a running qb he better be a once in a generation talent like Lamar Jackson, Mike Vick, or Kordell Stewart…he ain’t any of those guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    "Running QB" in his prime with fresh wheels and hasn't seen his full potential yet

vs.

Short "Scrambling QB" with old ass wheels and careening downhill. Father time is undefeated. He even got Brady eventually.

Gee, I don't know. ;) Besides, if the line sucks out loud, our running game is plodding, and no one can get open - fast enough or before our QB is running from ghosts anyway - (or catch the ball when they do) does the QB even matter??? If we can't count on our defense to get off the damned field on 3rd down once in a millennium or stop... ANYONE... without needing a fluke turnover, timely sack, or half the offense (or at least the starting QB) injured, does our offense even matter?

We are a bad team right now. One player isn't going to fix it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not saying do nothing, but there is 0 reason to change JUST to change or JUST to try. Changing QB's willy nilly is a good recipe to lose the mental state of your team. It shows disbelief in them (all of them) and isn't a decision to take lightly, especially this early in the season. You have to be careful with the message you are sending

The real issue isn't that Justin is playing bad (he isn't), our offense as a whole has been bad. The OL is ravaged with injuries, our only healthy RB sucks, our entire WR corps outside of Pickens sucks (and we can barely get Pickens to engage mentally as is). It isn't a QB switch away from being better. We have to think about timing here. The season isn't on life support yet. If Justin starts stinking up the joint and we drop another 2 in a row... then sure. Timing is right. Switch it up. But I think you give Justin a few more games to deal with it, attempt to rebound and get the team on track. We still can go out there and beat the Raiders, Jets, and Giants and enter the bye at 6-2 and in good shape to give the playoffs a run in the second half of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't believe that we are a BAD TEAM. We are just not a very good offense. I really hope Warren and Patterson get back soon, because we need an injection at the RB position. We could also really use another player outside at WR. If we trade for Adams and sit Najee behind Warren and Patterson, I think this offense has the ability to at least scare people. Justin hasn't been great, but he's been more than fine. A couple of meh games against Dallas and Atlanta, but he was largely good against LAC, Denver, and Indy. I'd prefer we roll as long as we can with him to see if there is any potential for him as a starter beyond 2024. If not, we're probably looking at drafting a QB again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Styx and Stones.....

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was a more dynamic runner in Chicago, he hasn't run as much with Pittsburgh maybe that's what the coaching staff wants.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Two teams, 5 Ocs, and 3 HCs, and the same problems.....but hey....what do I know. Let me just go bury my head in the sand.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oooo! This is fun. Let me play.

5 QBs, multiple coordinators on both sides and the same results for over a decade.

Gee. I don't know what the problem is. Let me just bury my head in the sand. :hehehe::hehehe::hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Me too. We didn't score with Ben 55 tds in two years, or Mason..we put up the most points while he played all year???
    Still don't answer why You, or anyone would not be willing to see what another Qb would do.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Because the QB isn't the (only) issue. Period.

Could he be playing better? Of course! But he's in a new system, doesn't have chemistry with his receivers fully developed yet and - let's be honest - the rest of the offense sucks out loud. In our current state, Wilson will. not. make. a. difference. And might even be worse. He's rusty. He's old. It's a new system with new receivers for him too. He's short, so having the rush right in his face instantly like Fields has been getting will be even worse for him. Sure, he can scramble. But he doesn't have the wheels he did 10 years ago. He's going to be running for his life. He'll no doubt read the defense better (and quicker), but I don't know if it'll be fast enough to negate how bad our line is or how slowly our receivers come open. And if the answer there is quick throws to primary read timing routes, you can do that already without Wilson.

I don't have anything against Russ. I like him. If we started the seaosn with him, I'd be saying the same thing if everyone was calling for Fields. Don't change captains mid-ship. Until or unless said captain is clearly incompetent and the clear reason for failure.

Fix the line. Fix the running game. For God's sake, get us an actual NFL receiver (and use our TEs more). THEN we could see if a change would help.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024 at 2:04 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I guess you didn't watch the video I posted by one of Fields biggest supporters....who always makes excuses for him.
    I tell You this....I know TJ Watt is great, but if our D was ranked as low as our Offense is now, and You came to me , and said....Hey we should start a different OLB.....I would say .....Go right ahead.....why???? Because I know TJ would win the job back very, very quickly. Yet when I suggest starting a new Qb.....its....No....No....it's not him. So prove it's not him. We are having the same problem with Wrs as we had last year.....why.....because they know they are getting open.....the tape shows them getting open.
    It's really simple. If it's not the Qb....then nothing will change, and You can go back to Fields....., and I will say.....I'm totally wrong.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Receivers being open does not matter if the QB doesn't see them. The QB won't see them if the line can't protect him long enough to actually look for them. Wilson would be better going through progressions, I have no doubt. If he can see past the defenders in his face. ;)

"but if our D was ranked as low as our Offense is now..."

LOL. Give it time. We're not going to get by with sacks and turnovers against decent teams. FFS, Dallas' 3rd down conversion rate was almost 70%!!

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You said right now....start someone over TJ....again....I would say....go ahead....because I know he's great...., and would win his job back. If I'm totally wrong about the Qb....then He will win the job back...., and I will say I was wrong. I have no problem with it. You know T. Bradshaw was bench for another Qb. It turned out OK for Him.