1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick note for out of towners coming to pit for a game...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Azhriaz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. FeelTheSteel

FeelTheSteel Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Re: Quick note for out of towners coming to pit for a game..

For what it's worth, I always use Priceline for hotels in the Burgh and always get well taken care of. I've stayed at most of the nicer hotels downtown and would rate them as such:
    1.) The Renaissance - Beautiful, clean rooms. Vaulted ceilings. First-class. Great location.
    2.) Omni William Penn - Beautiful lobby. Grand old hotel. The only drawback is that the rooms are small but it's a classic hotel.
    3.) Westin - Great location for Pens games but a little bit more of a hike for Steelers games. Still, no hotel downtown is too far a walk to Heinz.
    4.) Wyndham Grand (formerly the Hilton) - Awesome location, clean rooms.
    5.) Doubletree - Right next to the Westin. Nice rooms. A drop from the other hotels, but not bad.

I prefer in staying in the nicer hotels, getting a high floor, and having an immaculate view of the Burgh, but you really can't go wrong with the hotels in tailgate central (right around PNC Park): Hyatt Place, Residence Inn, and SpringHill Suites. I believe all of them were built within the past decade so they are all fairly new. Some of their chains around the country can be sketchy but the newer hotels (like these particular properties) are all very clean and have the feel of boutique hotels. I went to an Ohio State game in Columbus two weeks ago (where the local Renaissance and Sheraton properties are older 'four-star' dumps) and stayed in a SpringHill Suites and it was surprisingly very nice (and only a mile walk to the stadium).

Obviously, if you're on a budget, airport hotels are always going to be the cheapest.

When I was younger and broke, I used to always stay at a Motel 6 in Crafton off of the Steubenville PIke and it was $29 a night. That was ten years ago but I can't imagine it's much more than that now if you're on a really tight budget.

And, as someone else mentioned, the hotels around Greentree are just on the other side of the Fort Pitt Tunnel and are significantly cheaper than the downtown hotels.

Cranberry Township is also a viable destination if you're not looking to drink and drive, you're solely coming in for the game, and don't mind a twenty+minute drive each way to save a few bucks and/or hope to find some occupancy.

Hope any of this helps anybody.