1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick note for out of towners coming to pit for a game...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Azhriaz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Azhriaz

Azhriaz Active Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hi all,

Im here in Pittsburgh for the game tomorrow, cant wait! We drove in from Illinois, about an 8 hour drive. We had stayed at the station square sheraton in '07 and I have recommended the hotel to other out of towners. Ive seen others here recommend it as well. It was a nice hotel and the convenience of taking the boat over to heinz field was great.

Just wanted to share so others planning on coming in for a game dont have a bad hotel experience like we're having now. The hotel has seriously dropped in their quality. The room im in has stains all over the carpet including one that looks like a huge old puke stain. Everywhere you look there are spots from coke being spilled/splashed on walls, lamp shades and furniture. My brother's room had blood and "other" stains on the white comforter which should have been glaringly obvious to housekeeping. Stains all over his floor and a huge stain down his curtain.

The restaurant used to be pretty good to. I ordered chicken noodle soup and it was sour like vinigar was added or something spoiled was used. Sodas were watered down lacking carbonation.

For $289 a night in a four star hotel you expect a clean room, not an after party frat house scene.

Just giving everyone a heads up that it has gone to hell here quite a bit and that you might want to find alternate lodgings. It's a shame too, this used to be a great place to stay when going to a game. We didnt check reviews since we have been here before. We checked them once we were here, we're not the only ones grossed out. :(:(

Just your friendly PSA for your next visit. :)

2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Re: Quick note for out of towners coming to pit for a game..

That's a real shame. You have contacted the manager, I take it, and complained?

In any case, I have been fortunate enough on a couple of occasions to stay at the Spring Hill Suites, right next to PNC Park. But I was a guest on someone else's dime and didn't have to pay---I'd guess that during weekends when there are home games, it's not only expensive but difficult to get a room.

Another place where I've had some luck: Holiday Inn on McKnight Rd. Not the nicest rooms, but clean and fairly inexpensive, and just a few minutes from the stadium.

3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Wow, that's bad to hear.

I've always wanted to stay at the Sheraton Station Square when I've come to Pittsburgh, but it's always been out of my price range. Now, I'm glad I saved my money.

Generally when I travel by the Burgh I rent a car and stay out by the airport, where accommodations are much less expensive. This has its pros and cons as well, but the last time I was there (June 2011) I stayed at the Doubletree near the airport, and it was quite nice and good value.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011

We are at th Candlewood suites west of town. I knew we would not spend much time in the room so, this is perfect. Clean and quiet. The only drawback is the traffic coming in to town! Yikes! :towel:

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Best Western on Greentree Road

Its not lavish or anything and the price is half of the Sheraton but it was clean and the atmosphere is really cool because the entire place is filled with Steeler fans.

They also have free bar and free breakfast for two hours in the evening... Cant beat that :)

If I remember correctly it was $100 a night

OH and they have free shuttle service to game and anywhere basically you want to go .. WOW

Bman

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

we are staying at the Hyatt Place North shore when we come to the burgh for the eagles game....Anyone know anything about that hotel.....

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011

8. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

In my memory, the Sheraton Station Square has usually been the Hq for sometimes rowdy groups of fans coming in from out of town for Pitt games. I can particularly remember seeing them from Notre Dame, in which they pretty much invaded the town, and from VaTech in 2003. Perhaps the years of this has taken its toll.

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Thats a shame.

As a local I've never had the chance to 'road test' the local hotels, but I've always thought that the Sheraton SS was a pretty upscale, classy kind of place.

I guess the next time you'll know. Live and learn. Maybe next time try the Spring Hill Suites across from PNC. IMO thats gotta to be the best location since its a short walk to the stadium.

Have fun today and enjoy your stay in Pittsburgh. I'll be watching from the couch as I gave my tix away due to me being on crutches.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I'll be at work all day and have to DVR the game. :(

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011

Test

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

You passed :roflmao:

:clapping:

:yeehaw:

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011

Thanks. The I pad I am using doesn't pass though! Hence the test.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Thanks.

Believe me I'd trade you situations in a minute.

This sucks. May have to miss thee Eagles game too. Should be walking in air cast by then, but only for a few days.

15. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011

We stayed there last year, for the Ravens-Steelers playoff game.. (jan 2011).
    We had a nice stay, and remember we talked about the great value we got there. You have almost everything right around the corner. On gameday you're about 20 minutes from the hotel to parking your car near the stadium (E Robinson St / Federal St). I remember it was snowing, and the personell at the hotel were very kind with us giving some advice about what to look for when out of the hotel.

As someone else said, if you stay near the airport (Candlewood is a nice pick there), or at the north side (We've stayed at Ross Township and also as far as Cranberry Township), you usually get 80 or 90 dlls/night rooms that result to be great value, specially when you don't plan to spend the day in the hotel.

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011

Azhriaz, That is why anywhere I go, I use Choice hotels. I also belong to NCOA Non Commissioned Officers Association. That also gets me a 30% discount. I find of all them, Sleep Inn is the cleanset and has the best breakfast.

Talk to that manager, at least you may get some money back

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

don't sit in my seat. :hehehe:
    :cool:

18. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed there on a visit to the Burgh in Dec. We really liked the hotel (the whole chain for that matter). The only drawback was the control on the AC/Heating. It's tough to get the room at a consistent temperature.

The food there is good the rooms are clean and comfortable with a great big screen TV and nice sitting area. It's an easy walk to PNC or Heinz and there are several good restaurants nearby including the Bus' place and the Hyde Park Steakhouse.

It's pretty easy to get around town from there (when there's no game traffic or rush hour) and the staff was great.

19. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012

You sure you were at the Hyatt Place North Shore? It's not 20 minutes away, the hotel is in between PNC and Heinz Field.

20. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011

You're absolutely right. Mi wife just noticed that too. I was talking about the Holiday Inn... Sorry.

We stayed at the Hyat for the Seahawks game last year, w2, and were able to watch 2 pirates games too.
    Excelent accomodations. A little bit more expensive, but we were just right away to PNC park and Heinz Field.

21. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011

They also have a nice restaurant (SoHo?), and just infront of a Mullen's, a great bar to attend pre-game!

22. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

man www you really had me for a minute......... I was freaking out checking my reservation because i thought i was WAY closer than 20 minutes....lol...im glad it is a short walk

23. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011

Sorry! Thanks to NashvilleCat for noticing my mistake.
    It's a short walk, and you're gonna walk through all tailgaters on your way to the staidum.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

How far is the airport from Heinz field?

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011

About 15 to 20 miles I think. Go down the blvd aka HW 65, cross the Sewickley Bridge take a right, top of the hill make another right and follow the airport signs