1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Is it all about winning Lombardis or not?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Sep 25, 2019.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I ask, because many scoff at the "never had a losing season" argument to defend Tomlin by countering that he's only won a single Super Bowl and doesn't win in the playoffs, yet there seems to be a significant portion here who are happy at the FO for chasing exactly that for this season. A chance, not even a really good chance at that, at a brief playoff appearance this season while compromising the future.

So what is it? Is it about Super Bowls titles or is it about being a consistent winning, but not necessarily championship, team?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tough question! A winning season keeps you interested but all people remember is who won the Super Bowl.

As for me with the Steelers it is all about the Super Bowl. Now I am a Pirate fan and if they can just have a .500 season I'm happy. Impossible for a World Series the way MLB is set up so I settle for less.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    IMHO opinion, it has become about political correctness, being known as a socially correct organization, and the messages the organization sends off the field.

Winning would be nice but.......................

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the SB is a prayer this season.

I'm happy with the Fitzpatrick trade because it fixes an area of weakness that has dogged them for years.

Would have preferred to hold onto the fifth rd pick but I like Vannett as a player and understand why the move had to be made. I think they need to sign him to an extension though to keep the move justifiable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it's about having a qb that got hurt but you have one you think can be the future and not letting him become one of the many browns qbs. Everybody keeps talking about the moves we just made but all off season we were making moves to become a championship caliber team. 3 games does not define the talent we have added and it takes some time to get those players on the same page of playing as one.

We have a brand new db coach added. We lost a very good wr coach unexpectedly. We lost the best o-line coach in the game. We lost our franchise qb. We lost our starting te. We lost our starting fs after playing only one game. We have lost our fb for the first 4 games minimum. Our #2 wr got stone hands all of a sudden. We have added many new parts that are trying to get it all put together with other new parts and it hasn't produced a win yet but we have not been blown out of the last two either. We had a chance to win both games. This isn't over by any means.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    To the Steelers? It's about being good enough to remain relevant but not good enough to win it all. Proof? 3 B's and real chance at SB and 0 trades for area of needs. 0-3 and franchise QB on IR and picks are flying. I'm not sure what else you need.

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Hell yeah this is all about winning Lombardi`s. We ain`t Cleveland.

However, it is not happening this year. This is much more a rebuild year than a reload year.

I`m thinking by the time we get 1/2 to 3/4 through the season we will know if next year is a bust too.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It's about winning consistently enough so that you have a chance to win the SB. And since realistically nobody wins the SB every year, and at least getting there to have a chance to win over a period of years.

• Like Like x 2
  9. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Win Football games and the AFC North and after that sky's the limit!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    We don't have to worry about lombardis again for awhile lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    IT is. People that were not fortunate enough to live thru
    the dynasty years just wouldn't understand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We are tied at six for the most super Bowl trophies for a single team. Considering there’s been over 50 Super Bowls if it’s Super Bowl or bust for you you’re going to be disappointed a lot.
    Understanding and accepting the fact that these owners are running a business helps your sanity.

The Steelers have such a rich history. We seem to almost always be in the conversation to make the playoffs. With injuries, spoiled players and subpar coaching a season can turn on a dime. For me personally expectations are key in maintaining my sanity.
    I am grateful that I found my way to this team.

13. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Glenn,

That's perfectly acceptable.

My issue here is that there seems to be for many a disconnect. For example, the main criticism of Tomlin is that has won "only" one SB title and that his recent postseason record stinks. That, in and of itself, is fine too if your expectation is championships. But at the same time, most on this board do not like Tomlin yet support both the Fitzgerald and Vannett trades that when taken together indicate a win as many games as possible this season, but imo at the expense of winning a SB in the future. The Vannett deal in particular is tough to justify if SB titles are what matters.

So I don't know how one can logically like that deal and at the same time mock Tomlin's "never had a losing season". If you like that deal you are inherently saying that winning seasons or just getting to the playoffs are important.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If you ain't first, you're last. -Ricky Bobby

Watching football is entertainment for me and the biggest entertaining aspect of that is winning. When it no longer is entertaining, I'm going to find something else to do with my time and money. For the past few seasons, watching this team find new ways to lose, crappy coaching, entitled divas, and all the drama has not been real entertaining for me.

SBs should be the goal for the franchise. I want to see winning football not a bunch of underachievers led by a HC who is lost as a fart in a whirlwind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I applaud your doing what you need to in order to maintain your sanity but:

1. Resting on past laurels is a lazy way to conduct your business today.
    2. Setting your expectations low so you are not disappointed is also a lazy way to conduct today's business.
    3. The Steelers rich history is being tarnished by the week.
    4. These owners "business" is winning and that is being overshadowed by these owners placing more importance on sending the message "look at how tolerant we are"

The previous owners set the tone for "always being in the conversation to make the playoffs". Exactly what tone is being set by the current owner?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Fans back winners who represent them. Winners go the distance. End of story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The fitz deal makes sense. you get a first round player only one year and two games into his rookie deal. You lose your starting fs in the final year of his rookie deal. You probably use next year's 1st anyway on that position. We don't have to wait for next year's rookie to be ready to play.

Vannett. We lose our top two tes. They have been trying to get him for awhile. They did plus another rookie te that they have liked. We have to sign vannett next year. Yes making under 1 mil. Per season and is the number two on the team. Not many will be beating his door down to sign him. We have a very good shot at doing so. Plus we get him this year for about 500,000, which is cheap. So we use a 4 th or 5th. We get a good player at a position of need that isn't a guess as to if he can play.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    For me it is all about winning Superbowls and going deep into the playoffs. I will admit I have very high expectations for the Steelers organization year in and year out, always will. I expect excellence almost every year. That's what you get when you achieve the heights they did in the 70's. I don't feel being comfortable with just being competitive or barely competitive is good enough and will breed a complacency that other fans have with their teams that I don't want.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't we give some guy named Green alot of $$$ to get us #7? Maybe that put the brakes on for awhile.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not sure if you’re directing these things at ownership or myself so I’ll try and answer both ways.
    Me: I’m not necessarily rest on anything. I’m proud of the Steelers History, but I expect them to compete for the playoffs. As for ownership I don’t think they’re resting either. The moves they’ve made the last two weeks seem to suggest they want to win.

Me: I want to win the Super Bowl every year, but I know that that’s unrealistic. What I expect is to be competitive enough to make the playoffs and give us a chance at that Super Bowl.
    As for ownership i’d say there’s somewhere right along those lines also.

Again I think the moves that they have made in the last couple weeks are some proof that they’re not just sitting back and giving up on the season.

What I have trouble understanding is how some people can be so disgusted with seemingly everything this team does, but they still keep watching games. I mean for me personally if I disliked so many things that the Steelers do I’d just be done.

Good or bad this is what the team is now. Either get behind them and support them or do something else that makes you happy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ladarius Green was the key to 7? :roflmao: No, it was the defense that was neglected for years.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There's a difference between waiting until the train comes through the tunnel and hits you vs having a pretty good guess that the light, the roaring sound, and the fact that both are rapidly getting closer might be good enough reason to step off the tracks:smiley1:

I'm very proud of the Steelers history as well, I just see enough right now to say that the past is the past and the current version of the Steelers is a 4-5 year cluster **** coming to fruition.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So just for the sake of discussion let’s say I agree with you. Now what? Are we just gonna continue to keep on complaining about everything nonstop? When does it become enough that we move on? I mean if you go anywhere else and don’t get the service you desire you go somewhere else right?
    I mean is it only enough when you get everybody to agree with your point of view?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012

Nail! Meet the head of the Hammer!!

• Like Like x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's all about winning a Super Bowl. All it is going to take to turn this around is the right coach. Tomlin is no longer that guy. When Cowher came in in 92 he changed everything. He turned a mediocre team into a perennial contender, and he did it without the luxury of a franchise QB. Find the right coach to come in here and evaluate the roster and then put forth a scheme that fits the roster both offensively and defensively. Once they do that we will begin building toward 7.

• Agree Agree x 1