1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the Cap Experts And Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Jan 11, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cut Ben, McDonald and Pouncey. Extend Haden and Nelson.
    There’s 45-50 million.

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The figure in the first red column is the dead cap money if they are cut/traded/retired.

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yep, pull the bandaid off, see what Tomlin can do without all of his star players, see what Mason can do, draft a franchise QB in 2022.

They've been kicking this can down the road for five years. Time to pay the piper and take your lumps.

OK, I think that's enough mixed metaphors for one post.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I bet it's close though. I don't see Hilton getting more than 5. He is a starter, but he is the #3. You can make the argument that keeping and putting Sutton in that role for the same 3.5 million this year is a lateral move and just keeping Haden and Nelson. So that leaves, I think about 2.5 left for Sutton. He probably gets around 3.5. So you need 8.5 million to keep both of them. Basically, you need to free up another million or so to get that deal done. It might be a prudent use of money. In fact, you basically could just cut Layne as well. It frees about another million.

It makes your CBs next year:

Nelson and Sutton on the outside. Hilton as your slot guy. Pierre as your dime guy. We would add someone deep in the draft for the depth spots.. I want them to make guys who can basically on only thrive playing man as the draft picks and signings moving forward. No more Ross Cockrell's who can excel only playing cover 2.