1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Wallace's tender for the experts...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Mar 5, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Let's say the Patriots offer Wallace a big, but reasonable contract that the Steelers are willing to match...

If I'm not mistaken Wallace can choose to ignore the offer and nothing happens, but my question is IF HE SIGNS IT... The Steelers have the right to match I know, but if they match is Wallace forced to accept that same contract from the Steelers.

I'm just thinking if someone offers him a contract that's not elite WR money and he goes for it, would we get somewhat of a discount?

Unlikely... but just thinking.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we match the offer, Wallace has to sign with us. We have the rights to him.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If he signs the other teams offer sgeet theres no going back its either we match or he is gone.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, there's no hometown discount or anything of the sort. Either we match the offer or we don't. Doesn't sound like Wallace would give us a hometown discount anyway. He's said numerous times now that he's prepared to play elsewhere, including in Baltimore.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think what he meant by hometown discount is...if a team offers him a reasonable contract instead of a huge deal and he signs the offer sheet...the Steelers could end up keeping him for reasonable amount (similar to a hometown discount in a round about way).

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Problem is that once he signs the offer sheet, thats the deal that the Steelers have to match. Nothing less, nothing more.

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

yes.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    betweens teams out there and looking at their caps , i think the bengals should make the bigger offer , they have two picks , they have cap room , in the same time they stole to a division contende the best weapon and they pair him with aj green , tell me who is gonna cover the one is not covered by taylor ?
    i hope wallace and our f.o come to terms

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Makes perfect sense to me that the Bengals would offer him the bigger contract. First things is that they would be taking the best receiver from their toughest division contender. Secondly, they would have a lethal combination with A.J. Gren and Wallace. And yes, who is going to cover either one of them when the other is double covered. Seems like to me that the Bengals would be more motivated to sign Wallace to a big offer sheet because they also have to first round picks. If nothing more then to hurt the Steelers.

I think the Steelers are playing a very dangerous game with Wallace. We will just have to sit back and hold on to our seats and see what happens!

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Ive been saying it would be the bengals but i think he stays a steeler.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the bengals have their big dawg already. as for the patriots, welker was just franchised. that's 9.4 million off their 20 million cap room. they have other troubles they need to fill also. i don't think those two will be serious players in the wallace lottery. bowe was franchised by KC again 9.4 mil. buffalo signed their guy. the more teams that are lower in the first, that are using their money the better for us if we lose him. we gain every spot we move up in the first if he does go. :cool:

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I just diont see a team that is willing to pay him that big money plus give up a draft pick but then again look what the falcons gave up for jones last year

13. motleyozz6

motleyozz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    it pains me to say this, but this whole situation is going to be Yancy Thigpen & Plaxico all over again. A really good receiver that's already got millions of dollars gets overly greedy & leaves a great yearly playoff contending team for more $$$ & then ends up fading away. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it just bothers me these players pull this crap.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we will survive if he does go. :cool:

15. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Plaxico did pretty good if you ask me by leaving - he had a few 70+/1000 yard seasons and caught a SB winning TD. If not for his boneheaded move with taking a gun out in public he probably would have had a few more. Thigpen got injured - the Steelers knew he was injury prone and said "not worth the risk." You can only blame the players so much - it is a business and the goal is get that big paycheck as soon as possible. It is a voilent game and career ending injuries happen in the sport a far far greater frequency than other profession, even other sports - so to an extent you can't blame Wallace. If Baltimore offers $8M per year to Wallace and they are the only one doing it and the Steelers offer him $7M, then my guess is it becomes a bit of gamesmanship. Is there enough of a relationship there that Wallace sees the benefit of staying.

I actually think the Steelers have a good shot of holding onto Wallace if it is just matching the offer...what I do wonder is if a signing bonus comes into play at all here. So for example, if Cincy offers $7.8M per year to Wallace with a $10M signing bonus and the Steelers can match but offer only a $5M signing bonus because of the cap hit does that kill the Steelers or does the signing bonus not play into the equation.

16. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Pats will put a kill pill into their offer as they did with Welker when in Miami. They had a clause that would significantly increase his pays, based on number of games played in the state of Florida. Therefore, if Miami matched the offer, they would end up paying Wes more than the Pats. More slimey Belichick tactics. I don't mind getting a #1 for Wallace, but if it's the Pats and their 31st pick, that will stink.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    poison pill is dead on new cba , but if one team front load the first year base salary , he is gone , while i think wallace should call the steelers before sign the offer

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    How can you say that? Every time anyone leaves the Steelers is the end of our team. I don't care if it is a player or a coach, it spells the end of our storied franchise and will lead us to our pending doom.

Actually, I agree! We always seem to replace/reload...we might not win the Superbowl every year but we are always in the thick of the hunt. Amazing isn't it?

19. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes gp, that's exactly what I meant. I understand we have to match or he's gone... was just thinking if we match is he automatically ours for that price.

20. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's a tidbit from the Steelers.com website article on Wallace's situation:

"but no restricted free agent carrying a first-round tender has signed an offer sheet in the last 10 years league-wide."

So seems like history is in our favor of keeping Wallace a Steeler.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    until this year teams had to give up a 1st and 3rd rounder. now it's just a 1st. it's like they are trying to force someone to do it since they never have.

thats alot to give up in the past. 1st-3rd and still have to pay the guy a big salary. that puts alot on the line. now they at least save the 3rd round pick. :cool:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The 1st round tender did not replace the 1st + 3rd, the 1st + 3rd was eliminated (there already was a 1st only). However, since in the past a player of Wallace's caliber would have received the 1st + 3rd round tender, I agree that there is no historical basis to say that we'd be OK. This is uncharted territory. I feel absolutely certain that the Pats would be willing to give up pick #31 for a guy who can open up everything underneath for Welker and the TEs. If we don't re-sign him, he will be a Pat unless someone else comes in and beats their offer. San Fran? Cinci? Maybe even the Bears (hope and pray)? If nobody else, I think that the Pats will take the plunge to strengthen themselves and hurt us.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I just dont see the pats paying that much with them franchising welker. From what i read the steelers can go up to about 7 mill. So that would be 16 millions between two wrs plus if they give him a roster bonus which really is the only way to eliminate the steelers you could be talking upwards of 35 million between them this season. That goes against everything the patz do plus they love their picks.

24. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    What is the date that he needs to be offered a contract and for us to try to match? Is the clock ticking or does it not start until Mar 18?