1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Terrell Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Sep 18, 2019.

1. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    i know there has been tons of talk that we reached for him, that there was no way he was a 1st or even 2nd round player. Now I have heard the Steelers and other talking heads saying he would have gone early in the second if we didn’t pick him at 28. I have also heard the reverse that he was at best a fifth round prospect, but here is the question I want to ask. He was attending the draft with a bunch of the other TOP prospects, and yes I realize his brother was there too and they were together. But the NFL normally only has early picks, first and second rounders attending. I don’t think they would have had Terrell there also if they hadn’t received word multiple team were considering him a day one early two pick. Thoughts?

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    They knew somebody who couldn't evaluate defensive talent would draft him way above where he was projected and brought him in with his brother.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure whether teams tell the NFL their draft plans, but the NFL definitely does their homework to ensure that the players in the green room are likely early picks.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    More than likely the family knew his brother was going early in the 1st round and was planning to attend and as such dressed accordingly and showed support. He was probably aware he could go anywhere between late first to late on the final day. I think he showed up in a nice suit with his mom and dad ready to cheer his younger brother.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Especially since the Ben and Rodgers gaffe

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering that Pittsburgh could not land Rashaan Evans via a trade, Pittsburgh had to go to their contingency plan in Terrell Edmunds. Keep in mind that the team also had a dire need at Strong Safety at the time. Sean Davis was being moved to Free Safety and Morgan Burnett has a bit of an injury history. There was zero guarantee Morgan Burnett would stay healthy for all 16 games.

Taking Terrell Edmunds was not a panic move. Taking Terrell Edmunds turned out to be the correct move that was a failsafe due to the teams inability to acquire Rashaan via trading up. Had Pittsburgh not acquired Terrell, 9-6-1 would likely have not been the end result of the 2018 season. It could have been worse. Given the fact that Morgan Burnett got hurt so early in the season (as I feared), Terrell's development was artificially accelerated as opposed to organically. As such, he was thrusted into the defense too soon.

Keep in mind his rookie season was essentially his second season playing Strong Safety. Pittsburgh's original plan was to have him playing the DIME role and, from there, transition into being the Strong Safety; the other way around being the absolute last thing the team wanted. He still had work to do early on in his rookie year. As the season progressed though, he got better.

All things considered, he has been doing better but must be more consistent. Some of that is oh most definitely his fault. The other is not having a reliable partner in Sean Davis. With Minkah, I expect this to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I still don t understand why everyone is so down on Edmunds once we get him some help ( Minkah F ) and they work together I think he will be solid.

The long TD to Metcalf the other day there isn't a safety or corner in the league that could have prevented that, sometimes a perfect pass beats perfect coverage.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:sign0011:

Russel Wilson is not some average joe QB. This is a QB who carried his team via 35 TDs to 7 INTs. That is extraordinary in it of itself given how Seattle's vaunted "Leigon of Boom" collapsed from 2015-2018. Should Russel Wilson continue this level of play, he is no doubt headed to Canton when it is all said and done.

That being said, given those circumstances, I expected Terrell to have a tough test. Well... he did. For that matter, the entire defense did.

There is also one major caveat to this as well... KEITH BUTLER DID NOT HELP!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think Edmunds has displayed pretty good coverage skills for a SS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    God I wish he could play as good as his brother. Terrell has a long way to go
    to be a top notch safety in this league. When evaluating talent NFL scouts
    must know can the player transition to the pro game. This is the biggest questions scouts
    will ask themselves. Really this is why film study is so important. Scouts should be
    working their asses off once they have identified their targets that the organization has in mind
    and leave no stone unturned.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I could care less if he was drafted in the first and many thought we could have got him in the 3rd. What I care about is if he plays like a first and I have yet to see it. Does he have skills enough or is it the scheme/system. I keep hearing all these "talking heads" say how all our DB's look lost back there. Is Edmunds that bad, I am not sure but what I do see is a guy who keeps missing tackles.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No. 1 draft picks are supposed to stick out some in their second year, similar to Watt and Troy. Haven't seen it yet, playing like 3rd rounder so far. Not as bad as Dupree who plays like a 4th rounder but close.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The guy from Pro Football Focus was on the Fan yesterday and he said that based on their analysis that you're right. He's playing OK according to them, but not up to the level that is expected from a first round pick. TIFWIW.

14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm hoping that a guy like Fitzpatrick that can actually play the safety position can teach Edmunds. Edmunds has been out of position a lot, last season he was a rookie but so far he is making the same mistakes, perhaps it is a Davis issue. The only problem is when Kelly was playing in the first game, Edmunds was out of position as well and when you look at passing plays you can see what happens.

He always seems to be late and his tackling is a question mark. He has made some plays and just when he looks like he is getting it you see him make the same bad read and end up way out of position. I'm also concerned he has the Deion Sanders/Artie Burns Syndrome, afraid of contact. His missed tackles he looks just like Artie, arms extended why falling to the ground.

He doesn't attack, he tries to extend to the tackle rather than just running to it and finishing. There is a good bit of tape showing him not engaging and that to me isn't a good sign for him. If he was good in coverage you could live with missed tackle but his coverage amount to him running after the receiver and throwing his arms up, he NEVER looks for the ball. He has had a couple of passes defended that with the new rules in place could end up being called PI for face guarding. I do however have faith a good safety can help him, as for Davis, his career as a Steeler is probably over.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hope edmunds is not another case like Bud dupree where we all say "give him time" and it's his 5th year lol.

you either have it or you don't ala Watt/Troy and even shaz his 2nd year.