1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Premiere League, or just England.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Jball, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    They play Premiere League all through winter over there for some reason. I don't watch it but isn't it too cold to play soccer in shorts all winter? And how do you play in snow? Does it not get that cold in England? I just saw today that they play all winter.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought the same way and then was channel surfing and saw snow coming down heavy. never knew they played in cold weather. Still will never be a fan of the sport but do enjoy the World Cup every 4 years.

3. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    Hi, English chap here. We do play football continuously from late august thru to may without breaks! As long as the pitches arent frozen or waterlogged the games get played.

While it gets a bit parky during winter, dont forget that players are running around the pitch continuously during a game. we dont have timeouts or sit in the sidelines if the opposition have the ball for example.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The really good soccer players play like year round almost. They play for their club(premier league, la liga, bundesliga, etc) If their club is best in the world they are playing in Champions League. Then they are playing for their country.

That's why I say NFL players crying about their contract compared to other sports. They are basically the teachers of the world. They work for 4 months and have 8 off. Granted they have to work out still, eat right, OTAs, practice, etc. It's also a lot more taxing on their body than any other sport.

You realize it's the same sport World Cup or not? You just got to find a team to support in Premiere League or Bundesliga same quality of play. MLS is a huge drop off compared to World Cup. Also, going to a game in Europe is life changing.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've been in Europe but never to a game but talking to people I could see why it's the biggest sport in the world. Where I live we get young college students from Europe to work in the summer and when their together they talk with such passion about their favorite teams.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    never been to an nfl game in the US so i cant compare, but I once took an american friend to a london derby back in the eighties. There was terracing (standing) in those days and all a bit intense. I was wondering what he was making of the incessant chanting and sporadic fighting and he just turned to me and said ‘man, you take your sport seriously over here’.