1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about negativity on this board...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rukus4ever, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Lately, we've been discussing the shortcomings of Mike Tomlin, Dick LeBeau and, now, Willie Parker, who had a proven track record with the Steelers. All have been great conversations... And I have enjoyed them...

However, I find it interesting that nobody is posting how negative the board is, now. But when there were discussions about Ben's shortcomings, I was reading several posts, every other day, stating the board was too negative.

So, what's changed, other than the people we're discussing?

What do you think?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you need more matches for the fire you are trying to set? :shrug:

3. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Sure. How many do you have? :evil: :lolol:

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that because despite our record this past season, there really were far more negatives than positives, and it all kind of came out in the Denver game. It's hard not to be negative when we lost to one of the worst starting QB's in league history.

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Go with the BIC it will last longer :lolol:

6. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Take a quick perusal of the Patriot's official board if you want to see REAL irrational negativity. There are multiple threads about giving up being a Patriot's fan, selling all their gear, and throwing Brady out with the bath water (because he's a baby, get it?). I find while this board is more negative than positive most of the time, at least it is mostly constructive, reasonable criticism and not outright buffoonery. It's amazing what a bandwagon fan-base the Patriots have.

7. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Their fans are pissed... just like some Steelers fans were pissed last year. I don't think it's accurate to call fans bandwagon fans based on comments driven by emotions right after a Super Bowl loss.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. I remember some of the comments after the Denver loss. It wasn't pretty and people were mad. It happens.

9. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Pick up any newspaper and start browsing. You'll find mostly negative stuff. There's a reason for that. That's what people like to read about. That's just human nature. Same thing here.

10. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, man. I was listening to a Boston radio station for post-game, last night. They were also calling for Belichick's head, too. I was thinking, "WTF????" :lolol:

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well after the Denver game this board also had it's share of unreasonable AND outright buffoonery. Just saying... :lolol:

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nothing wrong with healthy debate!

13. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    this is true cosign x 10 also seems like some are just trolls imo :herewego:

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have to say that I can't really comment on the tone of this board after the 2nd Baltimore loss because I was so upset that I stayed away for a week or more except for a couple of peeps. The season felt over after that, with a glimmer up to the niners game. Then we lost and I blame Tomlin. Denver game? I never felt we had enough gas to be serious so, I just got bored with what ifs'. Too many missteps this year all around.

Now, I am happy to look forward. The cheaters lost and a team I respect won. (Plus, I think the Mara's own like 40% of the Steelers)

This off season is going to FILLED with stories. There are going to be so many holes to fill as opposed to years past when so many positions were locked up every year. This years camp will be unprecedented. And a new offense to boot. :popcorn: :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego: :clapping:

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I actually just said sort of this same thing to my boss this morning.....I am normally in mourning at the end of the season, but this year, I felt like we were hanging on by a thread in almost every game and there are things that need to be addressed in the off season (starting with BA..).

16. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Peeps? You mean like those little chickens?

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    You never peeped your head in a room. To see a cute chick changing maybe...

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    For me, most of the negativity (as distinct from critical discussions by fans) stems from one or two points getting repeated at some point in most threads. You've named most of them there. And that in itself isn't surprising, because if each thread is about the same team, the same points are likely to at least be relevant.

It's not just that it's the off-season - it's also that there's some hiring and firing to be done, and it's good to explore the possibilities of new coaches etc. It only gets negative, for me, when we get points repeated over and over that don't really have much substance to them.

19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes. And we have many master debaters on this board.

20. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, this is true. And we do it daily... sometimes multiple times. :emperor:

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't like constant negativity, its depressing!
    I don't like constant positive cheerfulness, its sickening.

Its an emotional game played by emotional players supported by emotional fans. As DaStellars said, nothing wrong with debates. We expect to be in the Playoffs every year. This team legitimately could have been in the SB. We should have not been tebowed.

Cajun-

22. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I said MOST is reasonable. Of course when people are pissed they tend to overreact, but just reading the first page of the Pats forum last night showed me 3 seperate threads on giving up on the team and finding another. I have NEVER seen a single thread like that on either the old board or this one.

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Funny, I'm pissed about Flaccoed, twice?

I blame that me than anything. When we lost the second time, I don't think the players believed in the rest of the season. I didn't. I felt like I could feel their intensity go down a few notches. :thumbsdown: :frustrated: :shrug: