1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Hands to Face Penalty

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    always seems to happen on third and long and our Outside Linebacker barely scrapes the chin of the offensive lineman , and its an automatic first down . Drives me crazy.
    My question is why is the rule an automatic first down and not just a 5 yard penalty and replay the down?
    hate this rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why is offensive holding a 10 yard penalty?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I definitely wouldn't describe either of yesterday's penalties as barely scraping the chin. The rule is there to protect the head and neck area of the OL. Simple solution is proper technique and hand placement. A 5 yard penalty wouldn't justify the seriousness of a potential injury it could cause.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Because if an offensive tackle was just so badly beaten he could grab a pass rusher and toss him to the ground. Mainly the reason why pass interference isn't just a 15 yard penalty in the NFL, if a corner or safety was badly beaten you could just grab them (WR) and only take a 15 yard penalty has oppose to giving up a 35-50 yard play.

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought the first one was pretty weak. The second was absolutely justified though. The worst call was probably the roughing call on Watt. That was ridiculous. Also I thought the hold on Pouncey was really weak. There is worse holding than that on every damn play.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ive been asking that question for years.

7. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    They assume if you weren't holding it would be about a 10 yard sack. Like pass interference, if you didn't interfere the ball could have been aught at that spot.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Even on running plays?

I figured thereā€™d be more holding (than there already is) if it was only a 5yd penalty. Make it hurt more to discourage it more strongly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Penalties typically are yards and/first-down awarded. Hands to the face makes it easier for the defender to penetrate or neutralize his man, but the overall effect on the play is inconsistent. So they assess fewer yards but award a first down (which hurts regardless of the down & distance when the penalty was committed).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    At least it wasn't double digit penalties again this week. But regardless of how tacky the penalties were, I believe there were an equal amount called against both teams. Bottom line, the defense has to stop committing stupid penalties that move the chains and continue drives.