1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Quarterback Situation

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersfan35, Oct 28, 2016.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    With our current backup situation of Jones and Mettenberger, should we get a QB in the 2017 draft? We really don't need guys like Kizer, Watson, or even Kaaya, but after reading some of their descriptions from ( https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php ) it shows that their stock can either rise of fall.

So, should we stick with Jones/Mettenberger or let them test free agency and get a new backup? We could even get a veteran QB as a backup from free agency or via trade.

Another possibility is to have a QB battle in the preseason between Jones, Mettenberger, and a QB from the 2017 draft. With Ben being 34 years old, he could go on to play until he's 39 or 40 just like Peyton did. It all depends on his health.

What are your thoughts?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd take mark malone over kaaya. :cool:

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think your Ben R. theory is CRAZY, time is running out on #7, we better get the heir apparent to Ben R. quickly. Folks it's not that these Qb's lose their arm strength, hell Jimmy Kelly/Dan M/Brett Favre/Kurt Warner.They all still had the arm strength, they lose their
    ability to protect themselves.

4. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I can see why you would think that way. Some players have the capability to play for that long. But still, we don't know how long he will play. I do agree that in the next 1-2 years, we should start to find a replacement for Ben. We could have the rookie learn from Ben or draft one when he retires. Also, we could pull off what the Colts did in 2011 while Manning was out to earn the #1 pick. Even then, do you consider the same for Eli, Rivers, Brees, Palmer, or any other QB's that fall into that category? The Patriots QB situation seems to have a good heir for Brady when he retires.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The importance of a A Franchise QB can't be understated. I feel that time is running out
    on ours, and want our team management to put every resource they have into finding another one.
    We do not have the coaching staff on board to get unexpected wins from a Landry Jones, I don't
    want to go back to 6-10 seasons. When # 7 hangs them up I would like to see a very capable Ben replacement
    ready to go. I saw one yesterday NWestern QB, interests me. Playing against a very talented Buckeye team. There is
    more out, (NC QB) we must find them and evaluate them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    With the way our defense is right now, we need to ride Ben as long as possible. But being our offense is the strength of our team we will need an elite quarterback to carry the team because it will be a while before the defense is able to do that.

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    kaayate guey
    :roflmao:

8. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    WE nee to find more than Ben's replacement, we also need a capable back-up.

I hope we draft someone like Kelly from ole miss, Falk from Washington, or Mahomes from TT in 2017, and get a good backup in 2018. But it would be okay to end up with Rudolph from Oklahoma St., or Russell from Baylor, or Ward from houston.

Guys like Mayfield, Watson, Rypien, and Jackson from louisville are gonna go quick and have great careers.
    I hope we avoid Kaaya from miami.

If Ben has knee trouble this year, we could be drafting high next year and get a shot at Rudolph, Russell, Mahomes, and Ward.
    Mayfield, Falk and Watson will be gone in the top 10 picks.

Either way, we need 2 good QB's in the next 3 years.

9. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    They should sell the farm to draft Lamar Jackson in 2018.When Mike Vick said Jackson is 5 times better than i was he wasn't lying this dude is going to tear the NFL apart best football player i have seen in a long time I saw him throw a football from one end zone to the other with just a flick of his wrist he can get on both knees and throw a ball 65 yards, and when he takes off no one can catch him he breaks ankles all the way to the end zone dude is incredible i live about 10 miles from their field so i have watched their spring games and practices and every game he has played this year. The progress he has made from freshman to sophmore is amazing and he has 1 more year left if they don't draft him they will regret it.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    college football is quite different from the pro game. :smiley1::cool:

11. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    If pro football players take to Twitter to talk about him they should know he can succeed in the league since their out there on Sunday playing.:smiley1:

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Much much different.

13. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    No doubt Jackson is gonna be a good one, but he will go to the team with the top pick.

I have about 10 guys on my radar, and the 2017 draft is going to be a lot like the 83 draft for QB's, there are about 5 guys that are outstanding, and 2018 looks like a super crop of QB's too.

We need 1 to replace Ben, and 1 more for a quality backup.

Next year we should be in position to get a guy like Kelly, Browning, Rudolph, Mahomes, or Ward.

Mayfield, Watson and Falk are going to be gone by the time the Steelers pick, but we can get a real good QB. Browning has caught both my eyes, and Kelly looks good and getting better.

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think this is the year we go QB, but I do think we need to watch what the guy at UNC does.

15. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015

We have to go QB this year, and the next. We need to find 2 QB's - Ben's replacement as the franchise starter, and a quality backup.
    And we only have 3 years to find them.
    The guy at UNC looks good, but there are some interesting guys out there. The guy at Houston is a Mike Vick type, and they talk about him being a real good WR and RB too. He might make a good #3 QB. Kelly just blew out his ACL, so he'd be a reach now.
    Mahomes, Rudolph and Browning are gettable, and I would trade up to get Browning. The UNC guy isn't coming out until 2018, but he is gonna be a top 5 overall for sure.
    If I remember correctly, Rudolph at Oklahoma State is a Big Ben clone.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    burrow from the buckeyes in another year or two. coaches kid. hid dad is ohio u's defensive co-o. he was good in hs and good when he's played at osu so far. he has that it factor. keep an eye on him.:smiley1:;):cool:

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Our Scouts have to find them, there out there. This is an ideal time to get a QB,
    mentor under Ben and be ready to go in 2018.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Anybody that hasn't noticed Ben R play the past 6 weeks has to be fooling themselves,
    his inability to get away from a pass rush is obvious. The end is near. Please Rooney's have a plan
    of succession and soon.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    How would things play out had we taken a Dak Prescott in last year's draft? Big Ben is still playing at a high level. I'm all for having a competent backup, but I wouldn't spend more than a 4th on a QB in the draft. Now, Im not sure if Ben's body will hold up like Tom Brady until he is 40 years old. I think when Ben turns 36, we should be thinking of spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB to groom for a year or two.