1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw the game. Dobbs came out it was 14-10. End of a story.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The villains in that game were the D that gave up 2 70+ Yds TD drives in the 4thQ and Boswell for missing the save-their-ass last second FG. Dobbs is well down the list. But, I think Tomlin was too clever by half in that game, figuring Dobbs could play out the game and win, while Ben got a break. The Raiders sucked, so the backups can handle them. When the lead was lost, Tomlin threw that thought out the window. And Ben was put by back in to save the day. Turn that 14-10 lead to 21-10 and the Raiders fold.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly, Dobbs wasn’t good by any stretch of the imagination but you nailed it.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    By “short” I (obviously) meant that it was intended to drop in front of the CB who had his back completely turned to Rudolph, while DJ was looking back, able to see the ball the whole way. I didn’t mean a 10 yard out. It worked out just right, and I don’t think it was by luck. But hey, I’ve only seen NFL QBs do that successfully countless times, so what do I know?

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason the game manager? That would be like a Christmas miracle for the reindeer with his shiny forehead.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    For as long as I have been a Steelers fan, there always seems to be a fascination with the 3rd string QB during pre season and hate for the back up. I will never understand it. A 3rd stringer comes in during preseason playing against 2nd and 3rd string secondaries and everyone goes nuts with excitement. Memories of Gonzalez, Martin, Batch, Maddox, Quinn, Dixon, Vaughn, Hodges etc. Haskins does have a ton of potential obviously being a 15th overall pick and I hope he excels and keeps his head on straight but lets look at who he is playing against and the minutes that he played. Rudolph will remain the back up and Haskins the 3rd string.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Logically that just doesn’t make sense. Why do you guys think they picked Haskins up? To be a backup? No, to take the reins next year and they can’t develop him if he’s 3rd string fetching Gatorade for players. He needs to be #2.

I’m not saying he will succeed as Bens replacement but they will definitely put him in the best position to succeed and that’s not as the 3rd string QB.

He’d have to be horrendous this preseason not to get the #2 roll and that hasn’t been the case.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The reason he didn't go back in is because the Raiders had taken the lead 17-14. They were forced to put Ben back in at that time because with Dobbs at QB a 3 point deficit is insurmountable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I just think Rudolph fits the offense better, more experience under his belt. With Haskins potential, it was hard not to bring him in, nothing to lose there and a low risk so why not. I could be wrong but I just don't think Haskins has been here long enough yet and needs a little more time. I will feel better when he puts those numbers up against starters, until then the safe bet is to stay with Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Watching Fields for Chicago today drove home how average Haskins is in comparison.

Total poise, great thrower on the run, great arm, looks like he was born to play the position. Wish we could have traded up. I think a lot of teams are going to regret passing on him.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He came out of the game with the team still in the lead. The rest has nothing to do with that statement.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On another note glad they didn't listen 2 people and grab K. Mond. He looked in his 1st preseason like I said he would. People that watch the SEC knows that Texas A&M was a loaded team and he held them back. Here comes the stat masters. LoL.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Didn't see it, but his stats looked brutal.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was terrible. Don't get me wrong He has an Arm, and Nice speed, but I don't know if I ever seen a Guy with that much talent look like a Deer in headlights as much as I've seen him through college, and today.

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    how many QBs do the steelers carry during the season? Including practice squad?

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Technically that statement is true. It's like saying the Chiefs came in second during last years Superbowl and Tampa Bay came in next to last. That is true but misleading just like saying Dobbs left with a lead sounds a lot better than he was pulled when the Steelers fell behind.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The team lost the lead on his watch. Technically, he was the quarterback in the game at the time when the Raiders took the lead. Roethlisberger then became the quarterback in the game when they yanked Dobbs for being useless.

Your reality ignores the fact that the offense disappeared with Dobbs while the Raiders couldn't stop Roethlisberger. Seriously, look at his possessions before and after the injury. Nah. You wouldn't want to do that. It doesn't fit into that odd reality you've built for yourself in which Dobbs isn't useless and didn't cost the Steelers a game they should have one the one time he got any significant regular-season playing time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL you used to bother me with this stuff, now you just amuse me.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense disappeared as soon as Dobbs entered the game. They managed what, two first downs with him in there? He also threw an interception. This was against a defense that was getting no pass rush at all and struggling to cover the Steelers' receivers. Dobbs simply couldn't take advantage even a little. A competent backup at least moves the ball a little and gives the defense a better chance. Dobbs was not competent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You used to lose these arguments to me. You still do.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Offense disappeared :lolol:

14 points, what a juggernaut! I’m still waiting for your response on why it was ok for Ben to not put any points up in a quarter but our backup QB coming off the bench cold and no practice reps during the week is expected to be unstoppable? It’s cute that you believe that though, almost as cute as thinking he is responsible for that loss.

Are there flying monkeys in your reality as well? I have no idea why you keep drawing attention to a debate you got your ass kicked in when you were spectacularly wrong about who they would keep, Dobbs or Landry. Would you like me to dig that up? I’m sure that would make for some entertaining reading, I caught a lot of flak for that prediction but who’s the one who lost that debate?

upload_2021-8-14_22-47-59.gif

22. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Don't sell yourself short. You're learning. We all have to start somewhere. :hehehe:

23. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    :popcorn:

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I wld like Mason more if he wld stop throwing hospital passes, I dont see Ben throwing late high and away passes in traffic, in defense of Mason I watched condensed replay on game pass and I thought he played well

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have and I come up with who is the most NFL type QB and Dobbs is not ..He something different and I think they already know that..

• Like Like x 1