1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t see the game, I said he can’t have poor performances if he has any hope of making the team so if he was bad, that doesn’t bode well for him. Still two more games.

And they made the right choice last time, it was the obvious choice from a financial standpoint and talent ;)

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You’re absolutely correct. It’s like a mental block with some fans regarding certain players. Example: Bud Dupree could never do anything right in some fans eyes. Every sack TJ got was well earned, but Bud’s were all unblocked easy sacks. Some fans can’t get past a players draft position and their expectations based on that.
    If Edmunds is drafted in the 3rd round most aren’t constantly complaining about him.
    Players don’t choose where they’re drafted. The team does. Be mad at the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason has played with and against starters. His role as well as other preseason starters is to play a tightly scripted game plan to give everyone game experience outside of practice. Haskins and Dobbs came in against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers who may not make the roster, but the game plan is opened up just to see what potential there may be for that diamond in the rough. I as well as others would like to see what Haskins can do with a start over Mason. If Mason plays with and against these long shot players and lights it up, is everyone going reverse their opinion on the Haskins/Mason debate? The even bigger question is when Ben comes in and can't lead the 1st teamers across the goal line or has a 3 and out, is everyone going to start clamoring about how badly Ben sucks?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What if Mason comes out against 2nd and 3rd stringers and doesn’t light it up? A distinct possibility.

5. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    How many passes did he have batted down at the line of scrimmage?

• Like Like x 1
  6. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    That is a possibility. Also, like I said what if Ben doesn't light it up either. I would have to look for the stat, but I believe Ben lead the league in 3 and outs last year (even during the 11-0 run). Our defense is the only thing that kept that intact last year. The games following, everyone realized Ben's weakness and dared him to throw long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That "right" decision only cost them one game, which ended up being the difference between making the playoffs and missing them.

Dobbs really didn't get to play much, but he managed to squeeze in a terrible interception.
    In the end, the only real value the team has gotten from him was in stealing a draft pick from the Jaguars. I guess it is possible they could make the mistake of believing he can play again, but it doesn't seem to be heading in that direction.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    That throw was 20+ yards, might have even been 30. If memory serves, and it sometimes doesn't, it was actually 33 yards. I could be off some, but it wasn't intended to be a short throw. It was a go route and DJ had a step. There was safety help over the top, but the safety was out of position and almost trailing, even though he had a good angle. He might have been able to keep DJ from scoring, but he wasn't in position to contest the pass, and neither was the DB in coverage. Mason, who's claim to fame is his deep ball, didn't go deep. He underthrew the pass and DJ adjusted, almost twisting his ankle in the process. Maybe we're thinking of different plays, but 20+ yard completions are rarely ever "pitch and catch."

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, ok, I don’t have access to that alternate reality that Landry played in where he led them to 4 scoring drives nor the one that Dobbs cost them the lead by throwing a pick six or fumble returned for a TD. The one I live in he came in with the lead and left with the lead.

But hey, your place sounds fun :thumbs up:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Haskins is still very rough around the edges. The botched handoff....and I remember 2 poorly thrown passes that should have been INT'ed. He has a good arm and seems accurate most of the time.

With all of this said Haskins has more upside than Dobbs, but Rudolph is definitely more efficient in the Steelers offense when the OL is not a clown show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The only defense that Dobbs needs on his behalf is limited reps, it's hard to play without practice reps for most guys so I am sure the Coaches are keeping that in mind .. He will get most of the Panther game with most of the plays he likes and if stellar he can still make this roster ..

How would our other 2 QB'S look if they had the same number of practive reps Dobbs has had? I am not defending his bad throw just that it is kind of to be expected IMO..

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You have 2 ask Yourself....Why then are they not giving Him the reps???

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also it wasn't a bad throw...It was a bad decision. He had bad throws ...like one that had 2 be practically dug out from the turf. That pick just happened not 2 be one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I forget the exact cut dates, but I think it's a 3 cut this year. First to 85, then 75, then 53. The PS will still be 16 this year ( with expanded vets allowed) so this gives some breathing room for bubble guys. Sure they can be poached, but unless someone is lights out they still should be safe on the PS

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't understand how with an extra game, teams don't get more Guys 2 dress on Game day , and a bigger roster.....period :shrug:

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I cannot find the article and I may be wrong on this, but after he was signed the writer said there is some kind of option on that contract. I think Haskins could walk without compensation for the Steelers, but the team has a right to match. Like I said may be wrong on the details.

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    There is that provision to dress 2 more players on GameDay, one being an Ol, and you can protect 2 ps players..but only those players 2 times. I would like to see 60 on the roster...period. but that would mean all players making minimum (at least) against the cap..and thus less money to be spread out. In terms of payout it really would not mean that much more, in terms is pension it could as PS players do not accrue active time toward future bennies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks . I didn't know about the 2 more players on game day. I also agree with would like 2 see 60 on the roster.

19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think we can put an original round tender on him and any team would have to give us a 1st to sign him. In other words, no one else will sign him. Pretty sure the original round tender is pretty cheap, too.

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I just checked Sportrac...you're right, he's a restricted free agent in 2022 and an unrestricted free agent in 2023

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Dobbs didn't leave with a lead. Ben left the game at halftime with a 14-10 lead. That remained the score until about 9 minutes left in the game when the Raiders scored to go ahead 17-14. Tomlin had no choice but to put Ben back in the game because Dobbs was 4 for 9 for 24 yards and a pick. He had a QB rating of 12 for the game.
    Ben then took the Steelers on a long time consuming drive that ended with a TD pass to Juju with under 3 minutes left to play. The defense then had a major collapse allowing the Raiders to score with 21 seconds to go to take the lead 24-21. The drama wasn't over yet has Ben hit Juju for a 60 yard gain down the sideline to set the Steelers up for a FG to tie the game. However Boswell slipped and fell as he tried to kick the ball and time expired. Ben on the day was 25 for 29 for 282 yards, 2 TD's and no picks. He had a passer rating of 130.2. Tomlin took a lot of heat for not installing Ben in the game earlier because Dobbs was so ineffective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In the one you live in, the Raiders took the lead while Dobbs was in the game, forcing Tomlin to put Roethlisberger back in the game. It had become clear the Steelers had no shot to win that game without taking that risk due to the ineptitude of Dobbs. He was out of his depth and it showed, an outcome that was predictable from the moment the Steelers made the mistake of going without a viable backup quarterback for that season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is getting those limited reps for a reason. He's the worst quarterback on the roster, which tells you just how crappy of a player they have in Dobbs. Give Colbert tremendous credit for conning a team into trading for him once.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Stay tuned...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Explain to me how a QB gives up the lead when he is on the sideline? So, wrong again. In my reality, Dobbs came off the field with a 14-10 lead. If he threw a pick six, you’d have something there.

So let me get this right, our franchise QB future Hall of Famer didn’t score a TD in his first 11 series but our backup QB is responsible for them missing the playoffs because he failed to score a TD on the same 11 series?

And you know Landry would have saved the day and catapulted them into the playoffs how exactly? The same guy who isn’t even in the NFL anymore?

You’re a funny guy.