1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same. I would also.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think we only had a loser in Week 2. Dobbs is all but gone after that performance.

Still Mason's job to lose with another great showing. You have to love a #2 QB who does not make any mistakes.

Haskins continues to make his case to be the starting QB for next year. An entire year under Ben may help Haskins; if Ben can talk to him about his early NFL off the field experiences.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Or score points... :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I got a question. How are the coaches in the NFL handling the 3rd preseason game? We have 4 so we can save the 4th game for players on the bubble like usual.

Are all other teams using their 3rd and last preseason game for bubble players which would make game 2 dress rehearsal?

Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Guilty of loving what I saw last night in Mason. The Dude just does not make mistakes.

Given the plays that Canada was calling and how bad the offensive line was playing last night I would give Mason a score of 100%.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Liked what I saw out of both Rudolph and Haskins. I really don't see where Rudolph has lost the back-up spot. Rudolph is seeing some or most of the opposing teams' starting defense, while Haskins has played primarily against back-ups and third team players. Both are doing fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think Tomlin looks at psychology too. Haskins says they "told him things", which I assume meant he thinks he gets a shot at being a starter for us next year. If he continues to play well, but gets the 3rd string, can he handle that? We may have an either or situation now. Mason would also not be happy with 3rd string. My gut says Tomlin has to give Haskins the #2 spot and Mason will ask for a trade.

8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Let's not have Ben give Haskins any ideas from his past experiences, please and thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    No mistakes? DJ had a step on Mason's deep shot. Lead him and DJ likely walks into the endzone. Instead, Mason tried not to make a mistake and forced DJ to come back and toward the sideline. It wasn't a great throw. What you call mistake-free, I call tentative. The difference is a timid, take-what-you-can-get offense that scares no one. But hey, as long as he doesn't make mistakes, who cares if we don't score points? That sounds like the argument giving Tomlin credit for only winning regular season games. Neither put this team beyond the first game in the playoffs.

There's an applicable saying to this. "If you aren't making mistakes, you aren't doing anything."

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope. I was told that when he won the backup job last time over Landry. Admittedly, I’m not as confident this time but where’s the fun in safe predictions.

Maybe you need to stop the Dobbs hate :beee:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Coach T said Ben is playing next week

HACK

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason plays not to lose. Idk, i like the gunslingers. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not all that confident in Mason, but I think that the throw that you’re referring to was intended to be short to take advantage of how the defender was 100% committed to running full speed to try and get ahead of DJ. It made for an easy pitch and catch.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Mason had a chance to overcome the two holds blamed for his lack of scoring drives. On 1st and 20 he checked down to DJ with Ebron open in the seam behind him. On 3rd and 11 he checked down to Najee and got him drilled in the back.

On the next drive, he underthrew DJ on 2nd and 15 but still got the first. A couple plays later on 3rd and 7 he threw underneath to DJ on an easily defended drag route with four other receivers running past the sticks.

Captain Checkdown checks down.

Start of next drive, Claypool wide open on an out past the sticks, checks down to JuJu. On 3rd and 7 following the false start, he shows zero pocket presence and allows middle pressure to end the drive. Those are the kinds of things Ben escaped and made plays on as a rookie, Mason's in his 4th year.

He just ain't got it.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Game managing is exactly what you want out of a backup QB, but not a starter. I have no doubt that after Ben retires they intend to give Haskins a shot at being the next man up (if Haskins is still here, I think he only signed a 1-year deal).

Just to put some things in perspective though, Mason had 3 drives killed on horrible penalties by the offensive line and the TE. He also had very poor play by the starting offensive line. Haskins had the benefit of better OLine play against backup defenders. Before I declare Haskins the runaway number 2 I would like to see him against better competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    See my post above yours - Mason had a shot to overcome all three penalties, but failed. He's not supposed to be a game-managing backup, he's supposed to be the next franchise guy.

He stinks.

17. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    This aged well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mason's biggest down fall is making the offense produce points. That is what really worked against him in 2019, it felt like a Christmas Miracle if Steelers could score 25 in a game with him at the helm.

Haskins has been a point producer from what I have seen, thus far.

Still not sure Steelers coaches and brass can trust Haskins enough yet to make him the #2 guy, if they feel that way, I'm sure they need to trade Mason. Get back a 5th or 6th rounder for him at best.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Colts were a playoff favorite before Wentz went down. I wonder if they would bite for a 4th or 5th round pick.

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason is going to get receivers killed with his high passes. Scary if he has to start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Could be, maybe Cowboys, Texans as well.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't hate anyone on this team. Well maybe T. Edmunds, LoL (and I don't even hate him),but I don't see anything in his game ,but a little speed in his running ability. He is intelligent this is in no doubt, but his processing speed on what he sees is slowest on the team. I would never wish him ,harm,bad, or anything untoward in anyway. I just don't want him in there if Ben goes down.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You say this , but don't bring up the 2 passes down the sidelines late that Haskins threw that cause the Wr 2 be blasted.
    I root for them both equally, so I point out boths wrongs equally. I honestly believe some do not have a concept of what equality even means.
    With that said good Luck 2 both , and May the Best Man Win.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Is Rudolph really that sure of a thing to be an upgrade over Brett Hundley, the veteran the Colts brought in when they lost Wentz? They would have to see him that way to give up that kind of draft capital. I just don't see it.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You mean when the Steelers foolishly chose future potential over the best option for that team and cost themselves a playoff spot by not having a competent backup? :)

It's funny to see the Dobbs fans reduced to talking about how calm he looked even though he made a panic throw into coverage that was intercepted.

• Agree Agree x 1