1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Did you go back and steal one of my old posts? I swear, I've said almost the exact same thing. Couldn't agree more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I hate it that no one looked like they really wanted to take the QB#2 spot. I really thought, and have said too many times, that Haskins would look amazing in the preseason and then fold when called on when it counts. If this is his best effort, then we've got nothing behind Ben. Rudolph isn't it. Dobbs isn't it.

We're doomed.

3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    What lines and receivers did the various QB’s have to work with? I wasn’t paying attention.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    QB 1 next season

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're making too much out of the first preseason game, backups on the OL, both of the top two TEs out of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will stay in Green Bay, after they're done kissing his ass.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not sure about the structure of Haskins contract. When he was signed I know it was for one year, but the writer also said the Steelers would hold some kind of option for a second year ( I honestly do not know if this is true). The dynamic is in place for the battle to begin this year (MR and Haskins, lesser for Dobbs) and bring them back next year. If they are in a position to grab a QB they like, or one falls you do it...but think the near future is on these two.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Article about the battle between Haskins and Rudolph but I liked the plug for Dobbs by Tomlin. Before anyone has a conniption, I’m talking about as a backup roll. I think he is as every bit as good as Rudolph if not better. Haskins is the only one I think has the chance of succeeding Ben.

If you are going by performance as the measuring stick as to who wins the job, than Dobbs has been outperforming both all throughout camp and yesterday.

“He’s been with us before and performed similarly when given an opportunity,” Tomlin said. “This guy is not going to back down from the competition. You guys keep asking me about Rudolph and Haskins, man, he’s not going anywhere.”

• Like Like x 3
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    PH3 = MVP

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    F**K that.

11. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Haskins looked better all his passes were on target but several were dropped. Mason is off target and hangs receivers out to dry too often. He had a couple of good throws. But should be much better than what he has shown.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben had that defense for a game and a half and looked bad that season. :cool:

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    One of those Old Glory posts?

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben didn't have Minkah, who turned that D around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Minkah wasn't bailing Ben out.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think its as big a gamble as years past because of the new OC and how he likes a lot of mobile QB looks..Plus if Ben went down a mobile QB is ideal behind a suspect OL ..I think Dobbs has got much better his camp work supports it and he did what he needed to do in the game ...I think him and Haskins should get 1st. team starts in the preseason to see how they look with better help and against better players..

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can't judge by a game and a half. You know this.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He missed a wide open TE for a TD. When he scrambled 2 his right. Then tried 2 throw it late.
    He is athletic, and a very intelligent man. 2 bad those don't make a Qb.
    I've said time and again. It's how fast You process, and from coming from the fight game from along time ago . I can tell you it's not really intelligence that makes that. It's something else.
    The ability 2 see, process, and react accordingly it what makes Greats in all sports. Some have it some don't. I was fast ,and Strong for my size, but I didn't have it in the processing 2 the extension that some do. So I was just OK.
    Just like Qb, and other players, but Qbs 2 the farthest extent. That's why You see Guys like...for Example Cam Newton, or a Ryan Mallet. Strong body, Strong Arms in Newtons case with speed for a big Guy, but slow see, reaction, and quickly, and correctly processing what they see.
    All Great players have this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I didn't see that at all. Mason had one bad throw on a dumpoff that was likely not going anywhere. He also had a drop by Claypool on a play that would have been a nice gain. Otherwise he had one throwaway that was a smart decision. That is it for the incompletions. He also was basically doubling the other two QBs in attempted air yards, so he was not checking it down. Haskins was. I think Haskins looks more comfortable on the move than Rudolph does (not hard to look better than that, lol) but otherwise I think Rudolph was clearly better in the game. Lots of time for this to play out though. Hopefully Haskins starts one of the games and takes some shots down the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree he does not have the reaction time needed to be a great QB, however I think he has improved and could improve more with more practice reps..Cam needs good TE play as Dobbs would need as well..Cam will play much better this season if he gets the chance ...Can Mason or Dobbs lead us to a superbowl? Nope it would be because of the Team around them and being game managers making timely plays.. The added element of Dobbs to extend plays would lead to more wins IMO..

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree he has improved, but some can Improve only so Much. Then they are what they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I don’t remember who was where but looked like he hit the motion man before getting to the handoff. If that’s right it was on him.

23. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Haskins just looked smoother and more confident out there. But Mason had 2 great midrange out passes. But that botched handoff really raised my eyebrows.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You also can't judge mason in just that year either. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I guarantee you Mason Rudolf will be the QB2 ...the competition is for QB3 between Dobbs & Haskins ...ultimately I think the loser will be on the PS

• Like Like x 1