1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB search

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 20, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bart houston was brought in over schuessler as an UDFA 4th arm for camp. i get that but both were college backups. why wouldn't we bring in guys more favorable to being more than that? we are looking i would hope.

there are former starters for college teams that remain unsigned as UDFA's. there are a couple of qb's still unsigned as FA's too. austin davis for one. ryan nassib.

why wouldn't we be at least taking a look at some more viable candidate's for this spot and maybe hit on something for down the road? at least some guys that have started throughout their college careers. :cool:

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They know anyone they bring in as the 4 QB is going to the practice squad anyway, so they arent looking at Houston as competition to be the 2 or 3 QB to make the roster, even if they bring a QB who started in college he is still going to the practice squad if not cut after camp, so it's not important who they bring in as a 4, he isnt going to change the 3 lineup:

From Steeler Depot:
    Houston has the toughness and the smarts to look decent in camp. He’ll get the ball out quick and be able/willing to take some shots in the pocket. But I think he’s going to wind up checking it down a ton and when he tries to fire it downfield, he’s going to find out how tight NFL windows are. Very much a longshot.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but why not at least look at some guys with much more upside? you never know how some of these small school guys may show something that most didn't see. so they are on the PS at best, nothing is set in stone past ben in a search for his eventual replacement. why not start with a higher ceiling then a college backup? that;s all i'm saying. we are in search mode. or should be. :cool:

4. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I'm sure they have scouted all the UFA QBs available and have come to the conclusion none of them is going to make the roster so the one we have is as good as any, there is 13 veteran QBs available if they want one to compete against LJ but obviously they are set with him being the backup, so anyone they bring in will be competing against Dobbs....

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They aren't going to waste PS spots on these needle in the haystack guys. Any QB's signed now are camp bodies, thats it.

They started their search when they drafted Dobbs. He and Landry will get a chance to see if they are up to the task.

Not to mention any that may get drafted next year, a draft that is said to be pretty good for QB's.

6. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yeah but my problem with this is our luck with injuries. The way it has been recently the 4th guy could end up the 3rd or the 2nd. Why not bring in max talent who cares if they they cut, they are udfa. If the other guys are waiting for a better shot than 4th behind a franchise qb then I get it. We always seem to end up relying on camp fodder at some point late in the season that just kills us.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am perplexed at the Steeler plans going forward for the QB position. Unless our
    front office mentality changes (be more proative) I see a lot of 6-10 7-9 teams
    in our near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

I think we still have time but the team has been put on notice. Ben is year to year now. They probably should look pretty hard during next years draft. Dobbs and Jones are back ups.

My fear is that the young guys on defense come around and start playing lights out only to have Ben retire and leave us stuck with no QB. I remember those days. That's not something I want to go through again.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think this year was the one to be proactive though. I am assuming you are referring to getting a top pick at QB instead of a 4th? Using a 4th round pick was about as proactive as I wanted them to get with our defensive needs and win now mode. If they don't go after a top QB in next year's draft, then yes, I will be questioning their strategy.

If you are talking about acquiring a vet FA as backup, there is not much out there that would give you anything over Landry, as sad as that is. I think they are willing to go thru the season with Landry and Dobbs.

There was a lot of draft talk about Tomlin having never selected/scouted the top QBs. With Ben here, why would you anyway. The same may be said with Colbert to a lesser degree. Not sure of his involvement with the Big Ben selection though, but by most accounts that was a Rooney call. But the both of them have been active in scouting the top QBs it seems recently and I'm sure they will track those guys progress and see how they fit into their projections. Dobbs this year will give them a closer look at how they can refine their QB evaluations. Hopefully that will aid them if they really want to go after a top guy next year in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Devils advocate here, but what better situation for a young QB to come into. Having a top defense would take a lot of pressure off I would think, much like how Ben came in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We didn't have a QB in the 90's but those were still good years. You're more likely to have that decade with the rest of the pieces in place than you are the 80's with holes throughout the roster.

12. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    [QUOTE="
    If you are talking about acquiring a vet FA as backup, there is not much out there that would give you anything over Landry, as sad as that is. I think they are willing to go thru the season with Landry and Dobbs.

[/QUOTE]
    That is what pisses me off

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Things could be worse, the AZ Cards have 5 QBS going into camp none of the 5 are drafted including Palmer and their latest addition Gabbert is unlikely to even replace their backup QB Stanton, and Palmer reluctantly decided to play one more year, so the clock is ticking on them to get a starter for next year....

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    That is what pisses me off[/QUOTE]

Not quite clear on what you mean, that we still have Landry or we didn't spend more on a different FA QB this year?

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011

Not quite clear on what you mean, that we still have Landry or we didn't spend more on a different FA QB this year?[/QUOTE]

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    [/QUOTE]

That we still have LOLandry. Thought everyone knew that about me and LOLandry

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    That we still have LOLandry. Thought everyone knew that about me and LOLandry[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is well documented :lolol:. Wasn't sure if you were thinking something else. I just don't think there were many options this off season when you factor in the money they would be willing to spend on a back up.

But there could be some optimism next year if they draft another QB, especially one in the first. Landry's improvement over the years has been glacially slow. You would have to hope Dobbs could oust him after next year.

18. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dobbs signed his 4 year contract for 2.9 mill 500K signing bonus:

The Falcons in my opinion overpaid Matt Schaub 9 mill for 2 years in March, thats 4.5 mill a year for a backup who quite honestly has made a lot of money as a starter and journeyman backup with a poor performance history..

• The Falcons and quarterback Matt Schaub have reached an agreement on a two-year, $9 million deal. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)