1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Questions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Makees perfect sense, you just dont get it

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They will draft a QB in the 1st round this coming year. Dobbs and Landry are not the long term answer. One or the other will be a short term stop gap when Ben hangs em up in which I feel would be Jones.

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I kind of suspect Ben will leave also. I think it comes down to circumstances. I know we would never be in a position to trade up enough in the draft to get the kind of QB we would all hope for, and if we did, the price would cost too much. So, I also believe we need a stop gap for a couple of years. You highlighted the one thing we have going for us. This is a win now team, so I would hope that would be attractive to a vet looking to go out on a winning note.

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    But jeh, you have to take those odds with a grain of salt. They include all manner of crap teams, teams with a lack of QB coaching talent to develop a top draft pick QB, teams where the QB doesn't really fit the offense's style of play, ...

I wonder how good a QB the Steelers need if they're going to be a run-first team. Perhaps we should be more focused on finding our Le'veon Bell replacement?

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They can get a 1st round QB by staying pat at their pick position, but there have been some franchise QBs taken in the later rounds, the cowboys got their starter by accident in the 4th round, derek carr 2nd round and drew brees a 2nd rounder, it just takes a group effort to evaluate the QB a team wants the most on draft day....

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't get that drafting Dobbs was a wasted pick, if they want to find Ben's replacement they will have to use a high round draft pick on a QB.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And how many 1st rd picks have failed as well?

You're not a QB guru, stop acting like one.

And if at worst, he just replaces Landry, its not a wasted pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't need to be a QB guru to know Dobbs isn't the longterm answer at QB, if a QB is inaccurate in college he will be the same in the NFL most likely.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dobbs could be a semi-long term answer at backup QB, and thus not a wasted pick.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben had 2 seasons with the exact same rating as Dobbs . Ben did have 1 more season with a better completion percentage but the other 2 both guys completed 63 %https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ben-roethlisberger-1.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joshua-dobbs-1.html

And the read on Dobbs is foot work as to him not being more accurate . Most scouts agree he has a very good arm and has a high Football IQ.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Watson had accuracy problems. He's struggling mightily, huh.

I dont know if Dobbs is the long term answer and you dont know that he isnt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There's a reason Ben was a first round pick and Dobbs was a fourth round pick.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Watson was a much better player in college than Dobbs though, 2 time Heisman Trophy finalist and won a National Championship.

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well, I don't think dobbs is the answer, nor jones and will be happy to be wrong if either or in the very least are a competitive stop gap. Truth is, when Ben is gone so is the bowl bid for a bit. They could try a stop gap with A Smith or a long distance run with Cosyns but they won't be lucky enough to land eithereven if pursued I think. Be nice to win it all this year, but honestly we'll all be here next year if Ben Is gone debating whatever the obvious is either way and hoping for the best or miracles or something. Hahahahahaha

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we will need every peanut we can get next year. that was my thinking on that front. we are well over the cap with not alot of players. especially if we have to franchise bell again. somebody has to go or many will have to restructure and thats a whole different situation.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    A bell signing gonna hit the team hard either way... More so with a tag. But ultimately if they settle in the neighborhood of his asking price, it's gonna be another kick the can down the road scenario.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To me the best we can hope for with Dobbs is that he becomes a Charlie Batch type super backup who's capable of successful starting duty when needed. I don't think he'll ever be a franchise quarterback.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rypien made the probowl and was a round #6 QB
    Bart Star was picked in round 17. look at what all he did.
    Roger Staubach round 10.
    Brady round 6
    Zak round 4

What are the reasons these guys didn't go in round #1 ? Will Dobbs end up like 1 of them probably not but just because he was picked later doesn't mean he has no chance in the NFL.

I could also show you a long list of 1st. round QB'S who didn't work out . Why did that happen?

19. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Our next franchise QB isn't in our roster yet.

In fact, he isn't even out of college...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Let's hope he's out of diapers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I like mason rudolph, OK State, 6-5 230 has 19 TDs throwing and 6 rushing so far this year and is a senior, we can get him in the 1st round late and he reminds me of big ben a lot coming out of college, we sign him for 4 years 5th year option for 30 million and he gives us big cap space for 4 years, he's my choice in next years draft at QB.....

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I like him too, but he should remind you of Ben because he's not particularly mobile. Do you really want another qb who the talking heads will blame all our offensive woes on because he can't scramble like Vick in his prime.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Why Mobile QBs Only Have a Short Window to Achieve NFL Greatness

Great mobile quarterbacks are the unicorns of the NFL. They almost never achieve NFL greatness, and if they do, it's because they've evolved into pocket passers.

They come into the league as explosive athletes, and they're taught to use that athleticism as little as possible. They come into the league as unpolished passers, and they're asked to stand in the pocket and throw.

What is it about the mobile quarterback that intoxicates NFL coaches and general managers? Why won't they then let them do their thing? Why is it so hard for quarterbacks who can run to win on Sunday?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-have-a-short-window-to-achieve-nfl-greatness

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These guys are not the read option run 1st . guys of old . College QB'S are getting better at passing . Look at the success lately of the young guys . I don't want a run 1st. guy. I want a run capable guy .We don't need the elite runner at QB , but a QB who is mobile is more dangerous .

I still have hope that Dobbs can develop.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking the teams that get a good to great QB starter after the first round aren’t getting it by group effort as much as luck of the draw.

Group effort doesn’t sit around in the 3rd round and say, “ here is a great QB, we passed on him twice, but now he is the guy”.

I think your phrase “by accident” fits better. Do we want to bank on this?

I’m not saying I have a better option.