1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Questions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Oct 23, 2017.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    1. Do you think Dobbs is our long term answer if he develops correctly? If not, do you see potential in other QB's in the upcoming drafts?

2. What is Jones's future with the Steelers once Ben retires or if Dobbs climbs up the depth chart?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs is certainly not the long term answer at QB, Art Rooney II said so after the draft.

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think they will both be competing for the backup QB spot behind whoever they draft or sign as a free agent to be the starter after Ben is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    1. No, Dobbs is not the long term answer. Good quarterback draft in 2018. Stay tuned for that.

2. Stopgap, interim quarterback until we find our next franchise QB. Dobbs will not overtake Jones on the depth chart.

Other questions?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No he didnt. He said no QB taken should be viewed as Bens successor.

He also said if you start thinking you are a SB team on Sept 10th, you are in trouble. Does that mean he thinks we cant win the SB?

Of course not. Just as it doesnt mean he thinks Dobbs cant be Bens successor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    There is talent in this draft for sure, do they pan out? Who knows. Dobbs is not the answer regardless of PWP's fascination with him and as a self professed Xs and O's guys he should know as much. Not saying Dobbs couldn't be pretty decent but the signs point to probably not gonna be a franchise QB. I hope they can develop him into the next big thing but I doubt it.

Landry is what he is and I doubt that improves if he's the week in week out guy either. The draft will be interesting in the QB regard and I hope Ben lets me know if he's out or all in, as that will play a big part in their draft board plans. Ben still got it and barring injury could have it another couple seasons.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben goes down season over

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    "if he develops correctly'', why not? I guess it depends on what that means.

2018 draft will be loaded with QB prospects, according to the experts.:shrug:

Jones is signed thru 2018. If he doesn't see the field between now and then, it's hard to say how he will do in free agency. Maybe Steelers extend his contract next season.

If Dobbs earns the #2 spot, Jones probably becomes expendable.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Since it will be very hard to move up in the draft, our best option is to get Cousins who wants out of Washington and to play with a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not sure how some of you have already concluded Dobbs is or is not the answer. Way too early to tell where he will pan out at in my opinion. I guess you could make an educated guess, but man that is tough at this stage. Glad all I have to do is watch the product on the field!

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    One thing is for sure, he wont be a Carson Wentz, we can settle for scraps but we need to find a wentz in this draft or it's going to be a long dry spell before we see the playoffs again, and we dont have a coach on this staff like doug pederson that can develope a rookie QB anyway ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hard to say but i hope not at this point because of what we already have here as other position players. his growing time as a starter will take away the years of the already established stars on this team. we are way over the cap for next year and many moves will be made. there will have to be trades or restructures and ben holds alot of that money hostage for us. jones may even be cut for money reasons. hard to say right now but a draft pick should be in the works i hope. kanoff from princeton may be a good starting point. it's a shame that that move would make 2 qbs smarter than the OC. :smiley1::cool:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think they save a lot of money by cutting jones, 2 years 4 mill, peanuts in cap space, they wasted that much money on a tight end that can only block but has scissor hands, they need to be bold and go after the best QB available in the 1st round even if they have to give up some picks to move up, like the eagles did here:

The Eagles acquired the No. 2 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft in a trade with the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, the Eagles announced. The Browns will receive Philadelphia's No. 8 overall pick, a third- and fourth-round selection in this draft, next year's first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2018. The Eagles also got a conditional fifth-round pick (a compensatory fourth-rounder, if available) from the Browns next season.

Of course the rams wanted Goff bad enough to give up these picks to move up from 15 to 1 get him:

The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's hard to say what they have in Dobbs. He looked really bad early in pre-season, but got better as it went on. At least to me I think he got better.

You would have to change this offense, he is a much different QB than Ben.

If you let him make plays with his legs, and throw he could be an OK player. If you try to make him a pocket passer, I don't think you will be impressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    These are teams going from 15 to 1 and 8 to 2, and look at what they had to give up.
    Rams get pick # 1 for Pick #15 PLUS (1) 1st, (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds.
    Eagles get pick # 2 for Pick #8 PLUS (1) 1st, (1) 2nd, (1) 3rd and (1) 4th

What do you think the price tag will be to move up to the #1 or 2 overall pick from the lower 20's or the 30's? It's an unprecedented move, and the cost would be massive. Probably at least our 2019 and 2020 1st and 2nd round picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Steelers arent fans of moving up to begin with let alone paying a ransom like that.

They are only getting one of those top QB's if they drop or drop far enough where they may consider a modest move up.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and who exactly are the "top" QBs among the handful available? I don't see a clear cut top 1 or 2 like we had in recent years. There are a handful with good potential, but who also have their own warts. Before the season started I would have listed Darnold as a clear #1, but he has been way to generous with turnovers to be looked at as a lock anymore. Frankly, he may be better off staying in school for another season.

Rudolph? Mayfield? Rosen? It's murky. Definitely not Lamar Jackson though IMO. He seems like another college all-world guy who doesn't have NFL skills like Tebow, Vince Young, etc. Let someone else take that chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That makes no sense, so if the Steelers draft a QB in the first round he won't be seen as Ben's successor :facepalm:. Art knows just like realistic fans know Dobbs isn't a long term answer at QB.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Even then the bolded has to contain severe circumstances in play within how the draft will shape.

Take for example this years draft. How many people really thought Malik Hooker would go outside the top 10??? Corey Davis in the top 5???

Generally speaking, talents in the top 5 are either instant impact stars to Hall of Fame Cailber. I understand that he has been injured but even then he has not showcased much in his action.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Even then the bolded has to contain severe circumstances in play within how the draft will shape.

Take for example this years draft. How many people really thought Malik Hooker would go outside the top 10??? Corey Davis in the top 5???

Generally speaking, talents in the top 5 are either instant impact stars to Hall of Fame Cailber. I understand that he has been injured but even then he has not showcased much in his action.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And you get a guy that has a fairly good percentage of not being worth the deal. There is a 67.5 percent chance he will be a starter. Of that, there is a 48.5 percent chance he would be an all pro. Making the kind of traid being talked about and not getting an allpro starter would be a really bad trade. There is a 67.3 percent chance it would be a bad trade. I don’t like those odds. Make that trade and you are screwed for years to come.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmmm.... interesting questions indeed.

1.) I cannot give you my answer currently. That alone is going to have to come next year in the pre draft process. However, early sightings of Steelers scouts who have been at Wyoming have stated otherwise indirectly.

2.) Refer to 1 based on two scenarios. They are as follows;

a.) Dobbs is "the guy" and Jones stays.

Or

b.) Dobbs is the new backup and Jones is gone; the former supplanting whomever that may be.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is pretty much a game manager now. Can Dobbs be that ? I say yes. Dobbs showed good Improvement each game for his first NFL work . I think he has the ability to be a good NFL QB . Dobbs is a big guy and he can run ,he is also close to a 50% completion rate on deep balls from College .

No doubt in his arm strength , needs to work on foot work to get more accurate and add some weight . Work him in slow use the running game and play action .

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Regarding Darnold, it appears that he is leaning in that direction upon returning to school.

As for the incumbents, I really would love to have Josh Allen but my god that completion percentage.....

[​IMG]

Now Elvis... Ryan Finley on the other hand???

[​IMG]

25. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Dobbs showed me nothing in this pre-season that makes me think he will ever be a starter that can win in this league. His arm and accuracy is questionable as is his decision making which I understand is part of being young.

If Ben leaves after this season, which I believe he will, the Steelers need to find a veteran QB that can be a stop gap for 3 years or so. This team is stacked talent wise to win for the next few seasons. You don't throw that away on a hope that Dobbs can be something he isn't. I hope Smith is an option in the off season because I really believe he is a QB that can win with this talent.