1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB competition at this point certainly feels like ......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NewMexicoLobo, Mar 4, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

come on man - meaningless game in a MONSOON!

come on man

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The rain is why everyone gives him a pass for only throwing for 152 yards and leading the team to just 17 points against a team playing a vanilla defense with their best players sitting. He made one excellent throw in that game, the touchdown to Johnson, and that was certainly damn impressive. The rest of that game, he completed 17 of 19 passes, but for only 81 yards. So he completed a bunch of short stuff and didn't accomplish much for three quarters, then made one big play in the fourth quarter. It is exactly the sort of performance y'all whine about when it Pickett does it.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny balls out against the Bengals (scoring a whopping 16 points)...GREAT GAME, KENNY!

Mason balls out against the Bengals (scoring over 30 points for the first time this season)...BENGALS DEFENSE IS TERRIBLE!

:rolleyes::facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok I think we can all agree with you that it was a meaningless game in a MONSOON!

So we can cross that off of the Mason accomplishment list

5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    This is how the Kenny apologists roll. Kenny can suck but of defense scores and hold other team to 17 points, it was a a gutsy performance and he is a winner. Mason score thirty and they look for excuses why that is not good. Mason won the job, give it to him. If we sick then flatline to a 4 win team and draft a real first round qb.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they are clowns, most of them......

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I hope it's not Kenny versus Steelers fans--- we really need to support him and give him one more chance with new offensive coordinator. But if he looks terrible again no TDS not throwing to our WR Then he can get out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed. If they pickup Russell Wilson it is a Win-Now approach to the 2024 season. Not sure why this would be a bad thing.

I don't think the Steelers will be able to afford Russell in 2025. Kenny would sit for the 2024 season, and be back at QB1 for 2025.

9. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Is it true that Kennys main competition right now is the penguin from Happy Feet ?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah and Kung Fu Panda

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show me the post in which I said that was a great game. LInk it here.

It was progress, more evidence that helped demonstrate that Matt Canada was a huge part of the problem.

Also, did you see the Steelers being robbed of any points by poor officiating in the game Rudolph started? We definitely saw them rob them of a touchdown in the game Pickett started. Funny how you ignored that.

The Bengals' defense was terrible, but it got worse between the two games because they lost their best run defender up front. Covering for that and trying to take away Freiermuth were two reasons why they tried to single cover Pickens, which made things a hell of a lot easier for the quarterback.

Other than that, your post almost has value.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Assume Wilson stays healthy. He probably gets them to the playoffs, but they still aren't a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Now they have wasted a year, and gotten no new information about Pickett. Now they have to decide on his fifth-year option based only on the information we have right now. That means they decline the option, and if he somehow does put it together when he finally gets another shot in year four, he is far more expensive.

The alternative is they sign Rudolph or Tannehill to push Pickett. The kid either beats them out and shows something or loses and sits. Then we actually know for certain one way or another and can move forward accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph played three games against poor defenses without the albatross of Matt Canada around his neck. Pickett got one full game without Canada and played arguably the best game of his career even with being robbed of a touchdown pass by the officials, but the Rudolph fanboys refuse to accept the reality. The smart thing to do, if they can re-sign Rudolph, is to let them compete for the job in 2024. The stupid thing would be to buy into three games of fool's gold at the tail end of six years of mediocrity.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's nice to know you have to rely on ad hominem arguments. It lets me know I'm right.

15. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Why don't you think Pittsburgh could compete with KC and Buffalo if Wilson returns to his Seattle form? I think they win the North and go into the Playoffs as the #1 or #2 seen. Don't say it is a wasted year. As Saturday pointed out with Russell Wilson playing under center the team will go to another level. Unlike Kenny and Ben before him, Russell Wilson wants to be under center using the play action pass as a weapon.

I know what I saw in Denver last year and Russell Wilson still has it. Give him Pittsburgh's Run game, and WRs and I think the Steelers can move forward and compete in the playoffs with a chance to go to the Superbowl.

But, I am only on board if Russell will sign a 1 year contract, and not hold the Steelers hostage and make them sign him to a new 4 year contract. The first year is paid by the Broncos, I don't know what happens if he signs a contract longer than 1 year.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    A high completion percentage doesn't matter if the ball barely crosses the LoS.... Winning percentage can be a reflection of your team. No one in their right mind thinks Pickett is better than Justin Herbert, but Herbert's win percentage sucks because his team sucks.

You look at the fit with your locker room/offensive philosophy. You look at intangibles like leadership, work ethic, etc. You look at the skillset (arm, athleticism, processing abilities, running abilities) and then make a determination as to whether or not you can get the most out of that guy.

Simply looking at completion percentage and win percentage is a cop out. Completion percentage is reliant on air yards traveled and win percentage is reliant on the entirety of your team (coach, gm, roster composition etc.)

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well unless we draft someone in the first round this year (or go in on Mayfield or Fields), then whoever we have at QB in 2024 is going to be a Band-Aid. The others (draft pick, Fields, Mayfield) would all be "hopefully not Band-Aids".

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    What if the real answer is that we've already seen enough of Pickett. "Somehow puts it together" seems like a "Somehow I get a date with Amanda Seyfried" statement.

We're running a Band-Aid either way. Wilson, Band-Aid... Rudolph, same... Pickett, yep.... It's just how competent of QB play do you want in 2024? What are we comfortable with? If we don't want a Band-Aid we either draft someone high and hope he pans out, or sign Fields/Mayfield and hope they pan out. What are we even arguing about at this point?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    For the long term success of the team, they have to determine whether Pickett is the guy. This isn’t only about 2024.

I have some reservations about Pickett, but also feel they won’t walk away so quickly from a first round pick.

If Pickett wins coming out of camp, then you see what next season looks like with him under center. If he loses, then we move on with the other QB (fill in name here) and look to draft a QB in 2025.

I wonder if those advocating for Rudolph truly see him as the next career QB of the Steelers or if they are just looking at 2024.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it’s clear to anyone who’s followed this incessant debate since Mason was inserted as the starter knows that any characterization you’ve made of Pickett has been generally positive but you refuse to admit that Rudolph was the clearly superior quarterback this past season and always want to qualify it with a “yeah, but” disclaimer. You, in fact, did say Kenny had a great game against the Bengals but the context in which you said it was to essentially, yet again, denigrate Rudolph and his performance. You also said Kenny had his best game as a pro against the Bengals and that’s 100% accurate so no argument here. Funny that you said no such thing about Rudolph who arguably had his best game against the Bengals as well. I know, they were missing an all world, run stopping beast of a DL so it doesn’t count in your book. I’m sure if that guy had been playing Rudolph would have been 10-23 for 131 yards with two picks. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I’m sorry I’m not buying that competition. I think it’s farce since Mt and Art II are set on Pickett to start. So that is not fine. This guy is going to put us in a downward slid. No different than last year. And if they don’t give Mason a decent contract and get a decent QB that has been around awhile do it.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is so much wrong with this post, starting with the delusion that Wilson is suddenly going to return to his form from 2020 or even 2021 at age 35. That makes no sense at all.

Where did you get this notion that Pickett doesn't want to be under center and he doesn't want to throw play-action passes? From watching the Matt Canada offense?

Wilson was so great last year that the Broncos are taking a massive cap hit just to get rid of him. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your analogy doesn't hold up. A third-year quarterback who was coached horribly is a hell of a lot more likely to figure things out with a new offensive coaching staff than you are to get a date with Amanda Seyfried. (I wouldn't get one, either, but she's not the woman I'd choose for that analogy.)

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You made a false claim. Upon realizing you can't back it up, you chose to move the goalposts, a poor, dishonest rhetorical tactic.

My characterization of Pickett hasn't been nearly as positive as you make it out to be. He made progress as a rookie and had a great preseason, which led me to be cautiously optimistic. Then he regressed during the regular season. He sucked right along with the rest of the team in the opener, then settled into what could generously be called a middling game manager, which simply isn't good enough.

Rudolph threw three touchdown passes in three games against subpar competition and suddenly y'all want to make him out to be great. I'm not buying it. I would have liked to see what Pickett could have done if they turned him loose in round two against an even worse Bengals defense. I would have liked to see him the following week as the running game trampled the Seahawks. Then there was that last game, which featured an offense not doing much until the quarterback made a big play in the fourth quarter, which was pretty much the formula for Pickett. Hell, he did it to a Ravens team that was trying earlier in the season.

I never said the run defender they were missing was anything special. Strawman arguments are logical fallacies. They are also a poor, dishonest rhetorical tactic. What I wrote was that the Bengals' defense was even weaker when Rudolph started against them than it was when Pickett got his shot at them. That is factually accurate. I never said that Rudoph's solid play at the end of the season doesn't count. I just insist on putting it in its proper context, something you don't like because it doesn't fit the way you want to see things.