1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it’s settled. Trubisky is the starter but Pickett is a better quarterback. Trubisky played well and had a solid pre-season. He’s a good quarterback. But Pickett just has those special qualities that it takes to be elite and I think he has a chance of being just that. Honestly, once Pickett ascends to the starting role (and it is inevitable) I think Mitch would be an outstanding backup. Do I think he’d settle for that? Probably not but there are a few QBs who have made a pretty healthy living doing that. I still think Trubisky is in a no win situation. As soon as he falters, the Kenny cries will grow louder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Unless the Steelers trade Rudolph, he's backing up MT (assuming MT's got the starting spot). They're not sticking MR as the 3rd string QB. KP as well as he's played will be backing up MT and MR. Just my opinion, i think the steelers go with seniority and will have KP learn on the sidelines. May get his shot this year through injury or poor play. That's how they handled Ben as a rookie, he backed up Maddox and Charlie Batch.

3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Trubisky finally played a great game. Keep in mind this was only Detroit.

4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Even when there is an incompletion, Pickett throws the ball in a good, safe spot. Very smart QB.

I wish Pickett would start and I think he is ready, but almost certain Trubisky did enough to start game 1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That would be a horrific decision by Tomlin if that is the direction they decide to go. Pickett is the best QB right now of the 3 and he should be ready to come in the second Trubisky starts playing badly and they aren’t winning games because of him. You cannot watch this preseason and say with a clear conscious that Rudolph has outplayed Pickett enough to be the backup QB. Pickett has earned the job and Tomlin should have no loyalty to Mitch Trubisky either. He has no history here and has not really earned the right to get a window of even 5 or 6 games of playing badly to keep his job. Trubisky better win games and he better win them early on in the season or Pickett should replace him immediately.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Skip is the more intolerable of the two. If given the choice, I would rather listen to Shannon than Skip. If anything, Micah Parsons appearing on every Tuesday all but confirms Skip is the one calling the shots on Undisputed; a farcry from what the show was supposed to be during its peak from 2016-2019.

Skip is what caused that shows fall from grace and it will be interesting to see how he handles this season with where the Cowboys stand.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t be doing that

I read somewhere preseason stats don’t mean anything

9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think we're in store for a major mothafuckin curveball these next couple of days. Call it a hunch. Quite a few teams need a QB and we have an decent trio of them. We need lineman and a MLB. I roll with Mitch week 1, but the fact that Tomlin isn't willing to name Mitch #1 feeds into my curveball theory.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well ....Hmmm:hmm:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    An observation from the game

When Kenny went in Mitch was on the sideline with one of the offensive coaches wearing a headset and communicating with Kenny

Mason was standing behind them with his helmet on looking like he wanted to take his bull and go home

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On tv it showed both talking 2 him on the sidelines. Also I don't think Pickett likes the Idea of Trubisky taking His starting role(well of course He doesn't, but I mean more than that)....I seen something on the sidelines that makes Me say this , but I want 2 watch again 2 be sure.

13. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I agree KP is the best of the three and I think he showed it too this preseason. I would try to shop MT and MR and see which one would give me the greater return, maybe some o line help. MT is probably gone after this season anyway, probably MR too but both would be good backups to KP. But I think the Steelers play it more conservatively that’s just my gut feeling

14. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Skip is more tolerable but you would rather listen to Shannon? I don't really dig that show but I really can't stand Shannon Sharpe. I just think he has a lot of really bad takes and I just always disagree with him it seems.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know if I have confidence in Tomlin's ability to play musical QBs in a game to get the win.

It is funny, because we have seen him do it at the RB and WR position when a guy developed a case of the drops, or the fumbles and was replaced during the middle of the game. I saw Tomlin let Ben play through a lot of bad stretches in a game without ever thinking about replacing him in the last 2 years.

Going to be a long season if Tomlin always leaves the dance with his date no matter how ugly she gets. Going home with the "HOT" chick rather than your date could help you put a couple more notches on your headboard. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  16. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Trubisky has solidified his hold on QB1 as the master of 3-point drives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would.

Yes.... he has his moments too. However, for me, they are not on the same frequency nor occur nearly as frequently as Skips does. Skip means to piss people off... and he knows it. For that matter, someone one Twitter cal'd that 90% of his tweets are about, are in relation to or have something to do with LeBron James. Shannon is LeBrons good friend whereas Skip is OBSSESSED over him.

He even admitted it on his own podcast!! :eek:

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is a good problem to have. There’s no doubt that Pickett is the long term future starter for us, but it’s great that he doesn’t need to be thrown into the fire against the defending conference champion week 1. Trubisky is a very adequate day 1 starter. I think we have a decent shot at taking down Cincinnati week 1 if we get a solid defensive effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Are you implying that we would trade Mitch?

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I was drunk and probably completely wrong about that assumption. But hey, who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    This may sound crazy but even if Trubisky wins the starting role for the first couple weeks, I dont see anything wrong with playing Pickett a couple series a game to throw off opposing defenses.

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Guess you didn't see the last 2 minutes of the 1st half? Refresher, 96 yard TD drive.

Trubisky should start. Then let the chips fall where they may.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett did all he could to win the starting job, had a very good preseason but I think Mitch played well enough not to lose the job and will be named the starter. How long that lasts is anyones guess.

I feel very good about Pickett though. The guy has superb touch. I was concerned those passes he was throwing in college would have too much air under them to succeed at the pro level but he’s going to be just fine. He can zip it in when he has to. He’s got poise, smarts, athletic ability and can make every throw. Players that come in and make it look easy usually have the goods.

Still has to prove he can do this when he games count but Steeler fans should feel good about their future with this guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    You hit on the head with Trubisky. While he didn’t do anything to lose the starting job, my concern is he really didn’t seem to compete for it either. It’s only a matter of time until we see Pickett. It makes sense to start Trubisky overnight Mason due to mobility. Give the O-Line a chance to gel and provide some level of protection then bring in Pickett.

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I give hats of to Mitch, Kenny, and even Rudolph. 3 games in Pre-season and nobody even threw and INT I don't think.

All 3 did some good in the games. Kenny won it late game #1. Kenny ran a nice 2 minute before half game #2, Mason rallied and won the game late game#2, Mitch ran an impressive 92 year drive in a minute yesterday before half for a TD yesterday at game #3.

No huddle up tempo may have to be where we are at to have much offensive success.

The numbers for all 3 were really good too, high QBRs. I know its only pre-season.....

Think Mitch wins it, and will start out the gate. Should we need a spark or change, I could see Kenny getting the job somewhere week 5-6.
    Sadly I think t here is a large portion of the fan base that just doesn't want to see Mitch do good, because they are Team Kenny.
    If your a Steelers fan you got to pull for whoever starts. But, an injury lot of times sets it motion.

Think Drew Bledsoe for Tom Brady. Tommy Maddox to Big Ben (Charlie Batch also breaking his collar bone in pre-season that same year)
    Injuries could make Kenny play sooner.
    And with the Line we have pretty much possible that happens.

That could well very happen. Not really a wonderfully easy stretch of games to start the season.

As far as Rudolph I think he stays. They fear the line too much, and are going to be worried about QBs going down. He's cheap insurance.
    They remember 2019, They traded away Dobbs, Ben went down, then went to Rudolph then he went down, and then we were on to Duck by week 5 or 6. An undrafted Rookie. Who now doesn't even play football at any level anymore.
    Think the only thing that would get him traded is if someone offered a 4th maybe a 5th round selection. But not sure if that happens or if anyone even offers.

The one big upside of Pickett that I like his how fast he gets rid of the ball. With this offensive line that's probably a good thing.

But, its gonna be Mitch, I will totally be in shock if its anything else to start the year.

• Like Like x 2