1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mitch is the starter game 1

To me that is now clear

Is he the best option game 1 probably

Game 2……….

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    While I am certainly happy Kenny has played well vs NFL backups or camp cuts as opposed to playing poorly let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Pre Season is and has been a joke for quite sometime now.

Putting him in behind this OL to start his NFL career could be not only physically damaging IE an injury but could stunt his growth and learning of the position at this level in a poor situation. Let Mitchell get crushed and run for his life and hopefully when the line improves later in the season or next year Kenny makes his debut.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Against Jacksonville he literally played against their starting front 7 and half of their starting DBs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Looking ahead at the schedule I’m seeing Pickett make his debut in either week 4 against the Jets, or week 7 against the Dolphins. (Unless he shocks us all and starts week 1 against the Bengals).

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Which is honestly ok with me. I always felt the real QB battle was for QB2 anyways, and if Kenny pushed for QB1 at some point, then so be it. Body language tells me that Tomlin really loves what Pickett brings to the table. It's a matter of time before he's QB1. As for Mason. I don't think he got a fair shot, but I can see why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    My frustration with Trubisky is he has struggled in camp. He has only played one good series in pre-season. His case for being named the starter is you have to look at his body of work in his career. (If that’s the case, then bring Ben back two more years). Mason has been the only constant throughout camp and pre-season. Pickett struggled early in camp as expected from a rookie let alone he was with guys who already got cut. However, Pickett improved along the way and has outplayed Trubisky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Trubinsky struggled his first week and change but has been consistently ok. In the two preseason games he didn't play awful enough to lose the job. I think the battle should be between Pickett and Trubinsky more than Mason. Mason has looked like what is expected of someone that has been a backup and having a few years in the system. I don't think he's bad or awful. He's probably ranked 35-40 in this league and could start on a couple of teams; IE Seahawks.

8. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Key word being Jacksonville. But that’s a fair point if true I didn’t watch the game just saw stats. Still wouldn’t buy too much into Pre Season games.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    So you're trying to make claims like they're true and you didn't even watch the game. Jacksonville got quite a few youngins on their front 7 that are going to be stars.

SMH...

I agree that there's not much to make into preseason. Everything is more vanilla than generic ice cream. It doesn't change the fact that Pickett is doing everything that's asked of him.

Making claims based upon stats is dumb and destroys credibility.

• Like Like x 3
  10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    The same Jags that helped our STEELERS get in the playoffs last year.
    I know it didn't go well but bujeez it was a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  11. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think in the end Mitch will be Mitch. He will make the mistakes he has been known to do and it will be much easier to insert Kenny Pickett if they want to start the era sooner than later. I agree Mason can definitely be a starter for a few teams in this league. I could see a few teams Mason could do well on in no particular order: Houston, Miami, Giants, Seattle, Minnesota.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re right, Mitch will be Mitch and Mason will be Mason and we know what that means. Hope one of these days we’re saying Kenny will be Kenny in the same way we say Ben is Ben and Terry is Terry.

• Like Like x 3
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowherd says Steelers should start Pickett no matter what. Be like the Bengals with Burrow in his first year and stink it up. What if Pickett pulls a Roethlisberger and wins 13 games? Ben's team as a rookie was much better than Pickett's. I don't think Pickett would go 2-7 like Burrow as a rookie did before he was injured. I wouldn't kick and scream if Tomlin made the decision to start Pickett, week 1 vs Bengals. But I still think Trubisky should get the start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think that unless Trubisky stinks the joint out tomorrow, he's starting against Cincy. If Trubisky struggles the first couple of games, who is to say they don't try Rudolph over Pickett? The coaches see these guys every day in practice. What I want first and foremost is for the o-line to perform at least at an NFL average at both protection and run blocking. It would be much easier on the QB's, no matter who is in there. Secondly and in my Utopian vision, I hope Trubisky plays well enough to keep the team in games. A QB carousel either means injuries and or ineptitude and we are likely looking at a top ten draft position next year. Keep turnovers to a minimum and move the sticks so the defense isn't winded like has happened all too often the last three or so years. This could be a really compelling, dramatic season for a multitude of reasons.

15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It would be a tough NFL debut at the Bengals for Pickett. They will be raising their AFC title banner and the crowd will be going nuts. I would start Trubisky who has started in big games before.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is what I am wondering; if Mitch fails how far down the depth chart does he fall?

Also, who will be the guy that will be whispering in Pickets ear to help him review the plays on the sidelines? Will he go to Mason or Mitch to help him read coverages on the sideline? When Kenny is sitting on the Bench viewing his tablet, will it be Mitch, Mason, or Mike Sullivan at his side? It can't be Canada because he is upstairs in the booth.

• Like Like x 3
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This...:this!:

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I see absolutely no reason to take anything Cowherd says seriously, though I did watch the video. Much of his argument is that they have to find out now if Pickett is a bust. I don't think they are going to be so sure what he is by the end of the season that they would be in on one of the first-round quarterbacks next year, so I don't buy that argument.

Burrow was not the reason the Bengals sucked when he was a rookie. He actually played well despite a horrible offensive line and a receiving corps that was decent but didn't become great until they added Chase the following season. Anybody who watched the games Burrow played before he blew out his knee during his rookie season knew that the Bengals had an outstanding young quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is the quarterback coach's job. I think Trubisky would do it if he wasn't starting. I'm not so sure about Rudolph.

20. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Pickett's age makes me think they should start him.

If Pickett starts, I'd prefer Mason as a backup because of his contract and it would elimimate the discussion about who is "the guy"

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that thinking, but the coaching staff has made it very clear they prefer Trubisky over Rudolph. If Pickett is starting, I'm certain Trubisky will be the backup. I honestly don't think Pickett will have any trouble being the guy no matter who is No. 2. I doubt he will care who is behind him on the depth chart. It's one of the things he showed in his actions and comments when he was at Pitt. He is confident enough not to worry about all that.

I understand the talk about Pickett's age, but he is still in the first year of his rookie deal and he still has many years ahead of him if he becomes a quality starter. If the coaches think he is ready and he is at least as good as Trubisky right now, he should start. If not, it's not a big problem if he sits for part or all of his rookie season. I don't think the latter is going to happen. I think he will start at some point this year. Trubisky hasn't been bad, but I don't think the Steeler caught lightning in a bottle there, either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trubisky is in an absolute, no win situation. In some ways, it may be better for Tomlin to go ahead and jerk the bandaid off and announce that Pickett is our guy instead of letting Trubisky go out there and hear “we want Kenny…we want Kenny!” every time he misses a pass, throws a pick or has a bad series.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Man if they made one thing clear, it's that they really want to move on from Mason.

They had Haskins on the roster, signed Mitch and were openly looking to make a 1st round QB pick this year. That would have made 3 1st rounders on the team (whatever we may think about them) and Rudolph.

All of them with more mobility and possible upside than what he's shown.

I know what they've been telling people, but that shows they really want the next guy. While they may be comfortable with him as a back-up, he was never going to be the Starter week 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    My claim was I wouldn’t buy that much into preseason stats or play too much. I stand by that claim.

And speaking of “credibility” are you actually claiming the Jacksonville Jaguars are a good team? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You didn’t even watch the game? How in the heck can you even have a legitimate opinion on anything?

• Winner Winner x 1