1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Starts post by asking if there’s any reason to continue talking about Dobbs.

Ends post by continuing to talk about Dobbs. :shrug:;):lolol:

Sorry, Blast…hadn’t rattled your cage in awhile and I’m just trying to get geared up for the season. :thumbs up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The more I think about it, they need to start Kenny Pickett week 1. He is 24 years old, played 4 years of college, played those 4 years in the same stadium and it just isn't clear Trubisky gives us much of an advantage if any at all. I understand the philosophy of sitting rookie QBs but that is usually when they are behind an established veteran of that franchise. Sure let them battle it out the rest of preseason but if it appears they are even close to neck and neck than I don't see how you don't start Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt they would run such a simplified version of the offense with him in there if they really thought Pickett was going to be ready to start the opener.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree if they are neck, and neck, but as of this instant.....I don't think they are....Of course We have 2 more preseason games.....so that could change.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Most of my non-Steelers fans friends (Cowboys, Commanders, Raiders, Browns, 49ers fans, etc) are telling me Steelers should start Pickett and George Pickens is the 2nd coming of Randy Moss. :icon mrgreen:

All of this after one preseason game. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    when you’re told that you have a good shot of being the starter after waiting 4 years and you end up being third string

2FC316CF-EDB4-427A-9E7C-3D1542C78002.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Made this real quick lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, thats more like a blurb.

You’ve clearly never seen me and Scribe discuss Dobbs!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers need to stay disciplined here. Football wisdom always said Mason Rudolph was going to be the odd man out no matter how much BS was fed to us through the media or Steelers staff.

Mitch Trubisky should start. He is a seasoned veteran quarterback who can win some games. Let him start and if he stinks it up to the point of no return, then put Kenny in there. However I think the Steelers should start Trubisky for one year even if he is average and really let Kenny relax and learn like Patrick Mahomes did and like Trey Lance did. Lance is being touted as the next best thing. Apparently he has shown some amazing improvement in the one year he sat and learned. Steelers should do the same. The Steelers really can change their future for the good AND IN NO TIME with the retirement of their HOF QB by allowing Kenny every opportunity to being the next big franchise QB. Unlike Lance with the Niners, the Steelers didn't use any important assets to draft Pickett, which is even bigger for the Steelers future, especially if they keep drafting guys late who are 1st round talent like Muth and Pickens.

One glaring issue the Steelers really need to address more than QB at this time is the run defense. They will HAVE to acquire talent or figure something out with that. Otherwise the Steelers defense will be in major trouble. Steelers run defense is by far the worst I have ever seen it in the 30+ years I've been watching the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Great tune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with everything you said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Not more than a few hours ago, I heard reports from Niners camp about how up and down Lances accuracy has been at practice and when it's down, it's bad. Even Shanahan was quoted as saying his practices have been up and down. As usual, it's always hard to tell how much truth there is to this type of reporting but regardless, I'm not entirely sure anyone is considering him the next great thing yet. To this point, accuracy has not been questioned regarding Pickett. His readiness to deal with NFL level defenses, however, will remain a question for some time to come. I for one, am not opposed to finding out week 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Pickett did more work with the 1s today in anticipation of him working with them in the Jags game. Guessing Mitch gets a Q, if that, then it's showtime.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
  16. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    i do not want to see Pickett starting until this o-line shows it's capable of protecting a QB. so far, we have not seen that at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I saw enough from Pickett to make me believe he is ready for the job, but I think Tomlin will start Trubisky.

I`m just astounded about Pickett`s poise and smart decision making. Seems too good to be true.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought Mitch looked good against Jacksonville's pass rush. Wow, can he move around in the pocket. Man the O-Line is terrible.

I thought Kenny looked terrible. Oh my God, does he stare down his receivers. He never took his eyes off the guy he was throwing too on any of his passes.

Mason was just your average backup QB playing against guys that are killing time this summer and will be back home come September.

I mean just terrible. Kenny Picket just starring down his receiver on every pass. You can't do this in the NFL regular season!

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm glad you noticed this because I actually didn't until I saw the video you posted. I think you make a great point and it's something that he'll have to learn to get better at. I'm sure it'll come with experience because he didn't do it in college often. I do recall him to eyeing down Addison a few times.

Definitely a fair take. I wouldn't say Kenny was terrible, by any means; however, it's something worth talking about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The way this O Line is looking the QB competition is coming down to choosing who you want to get killed first. It’s literally scary to think about what this unit is going to do when playing a full game vs other teams starters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I still laughed at this even though your other thread has me throwing fire at you about big ben and pickett.

22. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    1. You're viewing a highlight that doesn't show when the ball is snapped.
    2. It should be showing when they line up. You see pickett looking around. He breaks it down where he needs to be looking.

Anyhow,
    3. 0:12 you see him look middle and throw left.
    4. 0:29 you see him look left and throws middle
    5. 0:43 looks left, middle, throws right
    6. 1:03 looks middle. Throw left.
    (Put the video in half speed and you'll see).

Also, you have me kind of wanting to start pickett about week 4-6 (unless trubisky it's doing very well).... and i was thinking to let picket sit all year to learn. He is 19-22 with 3 TD in both pre season games. Performed a 2 minute drill excellent. And got a 2 point conversion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    He would to wait maybe several years if this is the case.Very rare a situation is perfect

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think you have to worry about Mitch playing the entire year. He likes to hold the Ball and move around in the pocket, and that is going to get him killed behind, what could be the worst offensive line in football this year.

Maybe they can get Ben to return as the QB coach and show these guys how to get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds, because that is about all the time they are going to have before someone takes their head off in the pocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2