1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It will only be a problem if we can't get Dobbs to the PS. I also don't think drafting Rudolph is a problem either. He actually looks about as good as you can expect from a young QB....I'm not sure the fate of Dobbs will be decided by how he does against Carolina. They probably already have a pretty clear vision of what they will try and do with him and his future with the team.
    Just curious....In this post and another one you made about Dobbs you alluded to the fact that Dobbs will be playing against "camp fodder" won't his supporting cast be of the same ilk?
    Idk to me you seem really down on these young kids and in full support of someone who has done nothing,unless you count his inspiring victories against Cle. who on many of those occasions had their bags packed heading home for the season.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    The idea of having Jones as a backup that can squeeze us by a few games if unfortunately Ben gets dinged up is worth keeping Jones around.It outweighs a possible seventh round draft choice which is a tad better than a decent free agent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that is probably one of the most ridiculous posts Ive seen

• Like Like x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    upon further review, I can only think that not playing Dobbs in game 3, was a "sneak him onto the PS" type move. They can't make the decision so why force it. Then you have a year 3 Dobbs and year 2 Rudolph in 2019.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You'll have to excuse Landry ,he's not accustomed to any pressure from the back ups since he's been here :hehehe:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't really put my finger on why Dobbs didn't play. I think he's starting the next game from what I heard so think there would be some trepidation of him playing very well in that game. Even though his supporting cast will probably be on par with what Carolina plans on running out there ,he probably has more chemistry with those guys. I really don't know what they are thinking when it comes to the back up situation...

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hear ya man, could be the Ned Flanders moustache is giving him some moxie (if he still has it, haven't seen him in awhile lol)

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the QB sneak is back in the playbook...

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope literally and figuratively...

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If indeed that was the case, that's a pretty sly move by Colbert/Tomlin. Don't want to lose the guy, OK, don't showcase him and use your own judgement based on practices/TC. I hadn't thought of that angle until today. JMO.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Why would they play him game 4 then? Do you think no matter how well he does other teams won't really pay attention to it because of the lack of competition? It's a interesting dilemma...

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    His game 4 participation is speculation at this point...but we will see

If they want to go Italian mafia, only play Dobbs in the 4th quarter of game 4 for instance
    Amish mafia - play him the second half. (amish hehehe)
    IRA - start him game 4.

Really I'm just spitballing here. If they really think they can make something out of Dobbs why showcase him to the rest of the league? Slow play it like a good round of poker and try to get him on the PS so you have him in 2019. Then you let Landry walk and you have Dobbs and Rudolph.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dobbs ain't going on the Pittsburgh Steeler practice squad. Period.

To get on the PS, he has to be cut. If he is cut, don'tcha think REALscouts and GMs know his amazing value as much as GM wannabes on this board? So if Dobbs as the potential some of you think he has, someone will grab him as a young #3 QB development project.

And if he doesn't land a #3 QB spot, after he's cut he's free to sign on anyone else's practice squad. I hear Josh Dobbs is a pretty smart guy, if he's gonna be on a practice squad, maybe he can find one on a team that doesn't have a young developing QB that they like better than him. The last place he'd want to wind up is on the Steelers PS. And if he's a real raw talent with significant upside, he'll have his choice of suitors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well the post does make some sense about Dobbs not hanging around on our PS. It could also force our hand to have to re-sign LJ next year or draft or find another one. If we do that latter we could be starting over with 2 unseasoned QBs behind Ben. That is the part about it being not just this year we are looking at. Will mason be ready and able as the backup next year? Would Dobbs be the better choice to keep this year and help more down the road? LJ will cost more next year to re-sign. What does that do to mason then? Almost a catch 22 situation. They havent shown the compensity to be an all in for this year only franchise. Thats the part that raises these questions.:cool:

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The article sums up my thinking exactly.

"While his stats suggest Dobbs has earned a spot on the main roster, they don’t paint a complete picture of his play. He struggles with his decision making in the pocket, scrambling well but occasionally blowing up his own plays by bailing on his blockers. More importantly, he struggles to identify coverage, leading to five interceptions in six preseason games, including a pick-six against the Packers last week. That’s a flaw he’s struggled to overcome since his days with the Volunteers — and 2018’s preseason is proof he hasn’t yet grown out of it. It’s clear he’s not a starter."

We are not going with 4 QB`s and Dobbs is the logical odd man out. We just burned a 3rd round pick for Rudolph. The minute we did that, Dobbs fate was sealed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Trying to read into the reports that Dobbs will be playing most if not all of the 4th game.

If true, still a chance he makes the team. One thing is clear, they haven't made a definitive decision yet to release him if he's playing. If you already know you are cutting him, why not let Mason play, the future of the franchise or so they hope. Give Mason all the snaps. I think it means Dobbs is still in consideration.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I can't wait until Saturday, so people will STFU about the QB battle and let it rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    So why showcase him in game 4, charlie batch said he is starting against the panthers in 4.....

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they are playing him, his window is still open (see what I did there)

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Dobbs is off to the practice squad or another NFL roster. Which ever happens.

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I'm all for that at this point, I dont care who they cut, they have 3 choices and it's their decision included in the total 37 cuts they have to make by september 2,they will make a bunch of cuts day after game 4.........

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's time to move on. Steelers made their decision on draft day when they selected Rudolph in the 3rd round. Rudolph won't be cut and he'll be on the 53-man roster. End of discussion.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I see people letting that conversation go. People around here are good at that.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think the Panthers game is Thursday night.
    Edit:
    We should have a pretty good idea about Dobbs future after the game.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018