1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats not true Blast, he had a bigger fan base than Taj Boyd :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blitzburgh71

Blitzburgh71 New Member

Aug 18, 2018

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not looking good for Dobbs.

Only prayer he has is if they are showcasing Jones for potential trade. More likely they are getting their 1-2 ready for the season.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Good post.. But you are proving that landry is worthless.

7. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

How so?

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I personally see it, if Ben is gone for any significant period of time, it honestly does not matter who the Quarterback is as Pittsburgh's season is over. What better way to glimpse into the future than to set the young guns, or rather "gun" in this case being Dobbs, loose? I am 100% certain that both Tomlin and Fitchner have contingency plans should an outcome occur and should Dobbs need to suit up.

I myself, would not be shocked if both Colbert and Tomlin are merely using the Tennessee Titans preseason game as essentially a means to showcase Landry's overall capabilities and use the oppurtunity as an "auction" of sorts; using said performance as a bargaining chip to negotiate.

Ultimatley speaking, Landry Jones is gone after the conclusion of the 2019 NFL Season anyway. Why not elect to trade him now when his value is likely higher than it will be come the 2019 offseason; a quality performance against the Titans boosting his trade value no less?

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The question is what if Ben happens to miss a game or two? Then who gives you a more realistic chance of doing enough to squeak by in a couple? I'm no fan of LJ trust me but I still think he gives us the best chance in that scenario. LJ has no trade value IMO. I can't think of a single team that improves if LJ was their starter....is someone gonna trade for a back up? I have serious doubts....Bridgewater would be the target for someone looking for a QB. Showcasing and LJ in the same sentence ,that may be some of your best linguistics yet...;)

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Should he miss a game or two, then we have to consider a myriad of factors; such as health of the Steelers, where the game is being played at and how long to prepare as some of these factors. Namely though, is the opponent.

If it is a tough opponent like New Orleans or even Atlanta, then Landry would.

If it is against an average team, like Cleveland or Tampa Bay, ride it out with Dobbs.

As I have stated this many times before; none of these scenarios will end up yielding value anyway. Landry Jones is as good as gone come the 2019 season. Assuming he is still here, somehow, someway, still on the Practice Squad, Dobbs is likely to supplant him on the roster.

Landry is DONE in the Steel City. The question has never been "when is he going?" but "how much longer?"

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking the opposite.. Since MT said Ben and Landry will play, I think Dobbs gets the rest. His is the seat most in question. See what he's got. They know they are keeping Rudolph, so why not play MR most of the 4th game. They need to figure out what to do with Dobbs, why not give him another opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Now I'm really confused ....wasn't the premise of your post that we had to choose between the two? How are we playing each guy based on opponent? You said we may be showcasing LJ for a trade....

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We just may be indeed.

The whole premise of my post is that, regardless if we keep Landry this year or not, he is gone next year in the end.

His trade value right now is likely a lot higher than it will be come 2019. As I said, I would not be shocked if tomorrow is some form of a "presentation" for teams who are in dire need of a Quarterback.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought the OP was about a QB battle. I simply stated that LJ would probably be a better option to win a game or two for a team that has championship aspirations and that would probably be the reason he is kept over Dobbs. It seems to me you are countering my opinion by saying they will look to trade LJ and keep Dobbs. IMO I don't see that being the case. Now they could try and get Dobbs to the PS or possibly keep 4 which I highly doubt(it is possible,just not likely). I do realize Jones is most likely gone next year and considering he is a FA ,yes I do believe his trade value is at it's highest which is almost zero.
    There isn't a team in the league that is in dire need of Landry Jones....

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That cannot be said for certain. Teams will always be on the lookout for quality Quarterbacks. Jones has shown he is capable of winning games in the short term. That alone does yield value within negotiation.

Ultimatley though, should Jones get the nod over Dobbs, it would not surprise me one bit. However, considering that Jones is gone after the 2018 season, should Dobbs somehow, someway, find a way to survive the entire 2018 season without being scooped up, Dobbs is going to be on the roster anyway.

Again, in my opinion, I believe that Jones likely will be traded at some point before the preseason is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    :lolol:

17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    A fifth round pick with a 3-2 record and years of experience is worth a 7th round pick maybe?

18. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

From a trade value perspective, agreed. But if he gives the Steelers the best chance to win a crucial game or two in Ben's absence, then his value to the Steelers is much greater than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This would make no sense whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We shall soon see.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Whether or not it actually happens doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Had to effin work today so I missed the game (but my sister was there on the 30yd line about 7 rows up so the turtle clan was still represented lol). Very surprised after reading the BTSC synapsis that Dobbs didn't play. I thought for sure they would have given MR most of the 4th game and given Dobbs more of a looksy for this 3rd one. Don't know if that's good or bad for Dobbs' chances but I'm thinking the latter.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Dobbs could give us just as good of chance to win a game or two. I don't think LJ is that far ahead. It's closer than it should be really. Landry has some more experience but Dobbs is mobile. That could come in handy. I see where you are going AQL. I also see the other point as well. The plan has to go beyond this season though. Dobbs would fit that role.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know if I would say just as good because of experience but I would say almost as good. So the question is how much do you gamble on Dobbs upside over needing a crucial win or two. I agree that LJ isn't that far ahead and the fact that he isn't tells you all you need the know about LJ. It's a tough decision, the PS for Dobbs would be ideal, the question is how much of a risk are you taking trying to get him there.
    If the plan is future and long term go with Dobbs. LJ is what he is and It's not much....

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dobbs is starting game 4 and they are going to give him a long look, and if he cant impress playing against the panthers 3s and 4s then he signs his own fate, they already know rudolph is raw and needs a lot of work so it's between dobbs and LJ, if they cut LJ fichtner and ben are going to be up in arms over having dobbs for a backup, I honestly dont think rudolph will ever be good enough to replace ben but that remains to be seen, they wouldnt have this 4 qb problem if they didnt draft rudolph in the first place, so they brought it on themselves.....