1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You're proving my point, Progressing quicker than Landry? Dobbs threw at least 2 quacks that had Landry threw them would be proof positive for his release. State you case for quick progress of Mr Dobbs, future VP of Aircraft Design at Boeing.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nice try, your point is wrong. His overall play has been better. Never said all his passes were perfect but if thats what you're looking for, he'll never measure up to your standards. I was also never on the release LJ bandwagon. I supported him and still would be if I didn't think a better player was behind him.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't get me started on Ben....

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Apparently he's overrated too!

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ok I get it, you can't explain why or how Dobbs is progressing quicker than Landry did, but rest assured he just is. Well, that is an argument, but I have heard better.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm supposed to dig up preseason game film for you? Please, your opinion of Dobbs isn't that important to me. If your memory sucks, thats a you problem.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ok fine, I'm tired of wasting breath on a guy who get cut in a couple of weeks. But I might inquire, your 3 QBs for this team are who? And why?

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would go with Mason and Dobbs, the order of 2 & 3 undecided but I imagine if the Ben suffered an injury in the first few weeks, Dobbs would get the call.

As for why those two? First, LJ is on the last year of his contract. I keep reading that the Steelers are a win now team but rarely do the Steelers operate that way, they always have an eye on the future. Dobbs and Mason are under their control for 3 and 4 years on rookie deals.

Secondly, RPO. Steelers run it, and were very successful when they did, Haley for some reason used it less and less as the season went on but they were still a 3rd league best with 8.5 yards per attempt. Look for Ficthner to use it a lot. How does that help Dobbs and Mason? It will help negate some of that lack of playing experience getting the ball out quickly and not having to go through all their progressions.

In the end, I just feel Dobbs and Mason offer more than Landry does and that his playing experience isn't so vast as to deter me from wanting those guys over him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well.. I did in fact say that let the team decide on how the situation will sort out among the Quarterbacks. One down, three to go. Game one we saw little from Jones but a heavy dosage of both Dobbs and Rudolph. Given the current circumstances, a bigger picture could potentially be showcased in Game 2 this Thursday.

If no further greater indication of the future of the position is shown then, at the very least, it will make the picture more visible heading into Game 3.

I stated this at the conclusion of the 2018 NFL Draft;

"The 2018 Steelers Preseason will be one of the most exciting yet crucial preseasons in recent memory. Pittsburgh's future will be at stake. As it stands, the stakes themselves cannot get any higher than that."

A most exciting Preseason this has been. Next stop? "The Frozen Tundra."

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

The draft QB is a lock and Coach T likes mobile QB'S . They are calling a lot of RPO'S now for Dobbs If Mason or Dobbs can show enough to cut LJ then i predict he will be cut.. Keep in mind if Ben is out for multiple games then the season is all but done anyway.

The big question is does LJ give us the best chance in spot duty ? I say no . The reason being Teams will not be prepared for the RPO option this gives Dobbs just a good of a chance to win a game or 2 as LJ.

Now add in Mason and his stock, can he play as well as LJ for a few games ? Probably so as a game manager so if this all works out LJ could very well be cut IMO.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think we've seen enough of Mason yet to determine that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Ben is amazing but that last head injury is likely going to end his career

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Member

May 1, 2018
    The DB on Landry’s throw mistimed the jump and fell down when he didn’t make contact with JuJu. Washington went up against Avonte Maddox, whom Washington and Rudolph owned in college. They had several similar routes and catches that “The President” made in the two games against the Panthers. I refer to Maddox as “James Washington’s b*tch!”

Check out the second catch in the video below. Same three players, almost a carbon copy of the catch last Thursday. Maddox is #14. He was Philly’s 4th round pick this year.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting. I've only entertained keeping all 4 briefly because it just seems so hard to do with only 53 spots available but Tomlin just drew attention to it :hmm:

“We got four NFL capable quarterbacks," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin recently said of the team's quarterback situation. "Some teams keep two, some teams keep three, very rarely do teams keep four. Those are the variables. We’ll see where the road leads. More than anything, I’m trying to create an environment where these guys have an opportunity to show what they’re capable of and get better. So far so good. I like the approach of the group. I’m not overthinking it, and I don’t want any of those guys to overthink it. We’ll see where the road ends."

17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I have been watching football a long time and seen quarterbacks come and go for our Steelers. Usually you can tell after a relatively small sample, such a preseason, at least if there is potential or not. He may or may not pan out, but at least you can say maybe or no. Some are merely athletes who either throw on their first read or run. IMO, that mostly describes Dobbs. Rudolph has not proved squat, but he just started. Have not seen much, but maybe he has potential. Dobbs should be better than he is by now and IMO he is just an athlete who tends to throw on his first read or run. What`s the best case for him? A poor man`s Kordell Stewart if you are lucky. Sorry, not good enough in today`s NFL. Let him go unless Rudolph finishes preseason lousy.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There’s another member on this board who I think would “like to get started on Ben”.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason looked like a guy playing in his 2nd NFL game and Dobbs continues to improve. Still can't throw an out, pick six was terrible. Rest of his game looked good. 12/18 192 2 TD's 1 Int.

Sucks that the deck is stacked against him. Mason has a free ride because of his draft status and LJ has 5 years and the trust of his coaches under his belt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But it doesn't have to suck Blast, if he clears waviers and sign to the PS he can continue his development and then replace LJ next season when he leaves. The guy is going to have options no matter what.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We need dobbs. I agree he will be the next Jones

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Josh Dobbs seems like a good dude. I'm pulling for what's best for him. I think it's pretty clear that Dobbs future isn't here. Mason Rudolph will be the immediate backup to Ben next season. Even if Dobbs makes the team this year he will be demoted next year.

Best thing for Dobbs is for him to catch on with a new team where he has a legit shot.

23. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i have seen 53 projections calling for Marcus Allen to make the team and Dobbs getting cut... Me, I would take Dobbs over Marcus Allen who can play PS

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I say we try to keep him on the PS. If we lose him we lose him but if not we have some leverage in the LJ negotiations next year.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hope you're right because I don't think he'll squeak onto the 53. In the unlikely event Ben goes down early, Landry is the safer pick. I don't like it, because I think Dobbs is the better QB but needs the reps to get there. Times is not on his side.