1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Landry is 6-4 230 prototypical QB size, and he looks woodstock? And if Dobbs is a brainy type he should be able to figure out football 101, a lot of smart people dont have any common sense..............

• Like Like x 2
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Landry biggest problem is avoiding pass rushers, and stepping up in the pocket. If he gets time to throw he does OK. But, most QB's do when given time. But, he is at utter statue back there. His lateral movement to avoid pressure, is down right terrible. I don't like to bash Landry because he is a serviceable back up and he seems like a really nice guy and has always been a true professional.

If I was Colbert I'd roll the dice. If Ben goes down, the season is screwed anyway more than likely.

Trade Landry, he won't bring much but even if you get a late 6th or 7th rounder, better than nothing. If no trade partners, I'd release him at final cuts.

1.Ben
    2.Rudolph or Dobbs, who ever your more comfy with. Both with be on 53 man roster. 2 active game day 1 inactive.

Of course we have 3 pre-season games left, and that will determine a lot.

3. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Never happen!!!!!!!!

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I know Colbert loves Landry

5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    As does tomlin, bechtner, and Ben, they arent about to put dobbs or rudolph in as the backup when they have a 6 year veteran who just had a 158% passer rating in their 1st preseason game............

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you but the only thing that gives me pause is that this is a championship team and with Ben's history we may need someone who can come in and win a game or 2. It could make a big difference in seeding or even getting into the playoffs. I'm sure the coaches are also thinking along those lines. Tell me that if Ben was to get hurt and misses the season at any point and I'm saying goodbye to LJ and going with the higher potential in Dobbs. LJs contract is up after this year anyway,if I'm not mistaken.

7. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I don’t think anyone is trying to make him out to be a super star as he has potential and it was his first NFL game even though it was preseason.He’s a third round QB which usually translates into a work in progress with steady improvement.Our first round pick is what I’m interested in as you expect more of an immediate impact.Lets see how that plays out??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You are probably right about him staying around because of how well he's liked by the coaches and Ben.
    What's hilarious is that you are pointing out his QB rating in a preseason game with 4 pass attempts ,1 being a jump ball that JUJU made a great play on....that's some good stuff :smiley1:

9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Not much of a jump ball but jump balls are common in this league, fact is lj put it where his guy could get it and if mason made that play you all would be drooling all over yourself, yeah 4 completions on a short appearance because they dont want to get LJ injured in preseason.:hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow ...the way you are criticizing a rookie and a second year QB and slobbering over Jones (6yrs)and his 158 QB rating (preseason)can only mean one thing....and I think you can serve the team better by studying the playbook and getting out on the practice field. Don't worry Landry,it will be our little secret you frequent TSF...;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    All did a decent job against scrubs but Landry should he's been at it for years. Dobbs played as if his job was on the line, it is. I think Mason looked strong for a kid playing his 1st NFL half. Had the same strengths and weaknesses as in college. He'll get better, hopefully..

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is Landry your son? It was a joke. And yes, he looks 100% from the hippie era.

13. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Let me ask you this. If we needed to win one game to ensure home field advantage throughout the playoffs, or even to make the playoffs, would you trade that win for a 6th rounder? Because at this point that is potentially what you are doing by trading your best back up QB for a 6th or seventh draft pick.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think anyone is expecting a trade realistically. I think some people are just tired and frustrated with LJs progress or lack there of. Of course right now he gives us the best chance to win a game or two. It's just that there isn't much hope for LJ besides that and don't want to see young talent lost without being given the same opportunity. I'm pretty sure if you told me Dobbs would be safe on the PS or like I said a while back, IRd with a mystery injury those picking on LJ now would be more than satisfied to keep him as back up for this season....

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Mason did make almost the identical play on the other side of the field in the same 'free play' situation, late in the 3rd quarter. Washington went up and got the jump ball but wasn't able to break free after the catch like Juju did.

16. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Rudolph is a tad overrated here on this forum.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see anyone going overboard on Rudolph. There are a few being over critical. He had a decent showing in his first ever game. He looked a lot more comfortable than others have in the past. Let's give him a fair shake....

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dobbs is a tad overrated here on this forum, too.

19. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    LJ is under rated on this forum. He may not be mobile but he see's the big picture.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Landry is a tad overrated on this forum, too.

Boy this game is fun!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    it may seem like it, but I don't think Landry has that intelligence. I think he does enough to just get by. Some would argue that you have to be intelligent enough to know that line but I've worked with enough idiots to know you can do both (know the line and not cross it)

before someone counter argues, you do know that Landry's coach pulled him off the field when they got into the red zone right. So a guy who sets a bunch of passing records is pulled before the penultimate goal, because Probably he cant process.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always been a defender of LJ, I think he has done a nice job as back up but that doesn't mean we can't do better. I think we have an opportunity to do just that. He's started 5 games in the league and a number of spot duties. It's not a mountain of experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Actually, I think, because he is the established what-you-see-is-what-you-get guy and because familiarity breeds contempt, of allthe overrated backup QBs on the roster - Jones is the least overrated.

Rudolph is 2nd. He's got talent, but people think he polished now, for no reason,

Josh Dobbs is the most overrated of the overrated, the love affair that some fans have for this guy is nothing less than baffling.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know you have, and that's cool...I have no fault with LJ, he seems to b the preferred BU. I can't argue with that and I do not. I prefer him over the other options we have.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I'll complete the circle. Big Ben is a tad overrated on this forum, too

• Like Like x 1
  26. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? Because he's athletic, heady and has progressed quicker than Landry has to this point? Baffling.