1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB availability next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    [​IMG]ESPN
    If Ben Roethlisberger retires, who's the next Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback?
    [​IMG]
    BROOKE PRYORESPN Staff WriterDec 4, 20219 Minute Read
    [​IMG]
    Ryan Clark: It's time for Big Ben to take a seat
    Ryan Clark admits time has caught up with Ben Roethlisberger, and that he's hurting the Steelers' offense as a whole.

PITTSBURGH -- As soon as the 2020 season finished, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger knew he wanted another shot.

With the Steelers’ season-ending skid and playoff debacle against the Cleveland Browns fresh in his mind, Roethlisberger made it known he was ready to attempt another Super Bowl run. After discussions, the Steelers determined they wanted that too, but not at Roethlisberger’s $41.25 million cap hit.

The two sides negotiated and came to a deal in March: Roethlisberger reduced his pay by $5 million for a $14 million salary in 2021 and added four voidable years to his deal, freeing up $15 million in cap space for the 2021 season.

And speaking in August, team CEO and president Art Rooney II didn’t rule out a scenario where Roethlisberger played beyond the 2021 season.

"It's not written in stone that this is his last year," Rooney told a small group of reporters at Steelers camp. "We're aware this could be Ben's last year. We hope it's a great one. That's as far as we can go with it right now. Obviously, if this is his last year, then next year we'll be making decisions on a quarterback, and we'll address it as the time comes up."

But with six games left in the regular season, the 39-year-old quarterback is telling former teammates and some within the organization that he expects this to be his final season, league sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The Steelers are 6-8-1 in their past 15 games including playoffs since starting 11-0 in 2020.

That leaves the Steelers without a clear path forward at quarterback -- something they delayed while the organization attempted to build a supporting cast for Roethlisberger’s final run.

Whom might the Steelers turn to under center? There isn’t an obvious choice, but there are plenty of options.

On the Steelers' roster

Rudolph is the only quarterback currently on the roster with a contract through 2022. The Steelers believed he had first-round talent when they drafted him in 2018, but that hasn’t come to fruition in the four years since. Rudolph split the starting job with former UDFA Devlin “Duck” Hodges in 2019 after Roethlisberger went down with a season-ending elbow injury. The Steelers brought in Matt Canada in 2020, initially as a quarterbacks coach to further help develop Rudolph. When Canada was elevated to offensive coordinator in 2021, the Steelers hired veteran quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan to lead the position.

Rudolph started one game for the Steelers this season, filling in against the Detroit Lions after Roethlisberger tested positive for COVID-19. Afterward, Mike Tomlin said Rudolph “gave us a chance to win,” but he was inconsistent and often threw off-target and high. Rudolph is expected to remain with the organization in 2022 and have an opportunity to compete for the job. The Steelers also have former first-round pick Haskins on the current roster, though he couldn’t beat out Rudolph for the No. 2 spot through the preseason and training camp. He has been inactive for all but one game this season. Sullivan praised Haskins for his development and attention to detail during practices, but he hasn’t had the opportunity to show growth in a game situation. During the preseason, Haskins had bright moments, but in his lone start, the preseason finale against the Panthers, he completed 9 of 16 attempts for 108 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

NFL draft
    The Steelers are currently projected to have the No. 13 overall pick, and according to ESPN’s FPI, they have a 28.6% chance to have a top-10 pick. This year’s quarterback class is underwhelming. Patriots quarterback Mac Jones stands out from the current rookie class, but while the rest of the group has experienced growing pains, it's still much stronger than the next group up. If the Steelers added a first-round quarterback to the room, they would be setting up for a longer-term rebuild -- something coach Mike Tomlin might not want to do after more than a decade of working with Roethlisberger. However, the Steelers take pride in homegrown talent, and there’s at least one option who checks all the boxes.

The Steelers let Pittsburgh native and Pitt quarterback Dan Marino get away in the 1983 draft, and it kept them from having a solid succession plan after Terry Bradshaw. Now, they could make a move to keep Pickett in town. A Heisman contender and ACC Player of the Year, Pickett helped lead the Panthers to the ACC championship game in his fifth season, and he threw for over 4,000 yards, 40 touchdowns and seven interceptions. And, his 79 career touchdown passes tie him for first in school history with Marino. Pickett is emerging as the Steelers’ best option in this class, but it's not a sure thing they can move up high enough to get him.

Howell, with a career 10,078 passing yards and 91 touchdown passes to go with 1,006 rushing yards and 17 rushing touchdowns, is a better version of Baker Mayfield. Willis has a strong arm as well as good mobility. Corral might go too high for the Steelers to make a play, but he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the class, with a 68% completion percentage for 3,339 yards and 20 touchdowns and four interceptions. He also rushed for 597 yards and 11 TDs.

Veteran quarterbacks
    The Steelers prefer to draft and develop, but it’s not out of the question that they could make a push for a veteran quarterback. The Steelers already have some key players entering the 2022 season who will keep the team from undergoing a complete rebuild: T.J. Watt, Najee Harris, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Diontae Johnson, Cameron Heyward and Pat Freiermuth. The offensive line needs help in the offseason, and the Steelers will have to discuss big-ticket extensions for Fitzpatrick and Johnson, but the team could avoid a large-scale rebuild if it lands a veteran quarterback. And, the Steelers have the money to do it. Roethlisberger’s voided contract carries a $10.3 million cap hit in 2022, but they’re projected to have about $45 million in 2022 cap space, according to OverTheCap and Spotrac. That number could rise with the new TV deals expected to push the salary cap even higher. The Steelers could put together a blockbuster trade to acquire a big name or settle for a middle-of-the-road free-agent option and use their 2022 draft capital and cap space to bolster the offensive and defensive lines and secondary.

Trade targets
    Amounts listed are the cap hits the Steelers would incur if they acquired the player in either a pre-June 1 trade or a post-June 1 trade. Figures are courtesy of OverTheCap.com:

• Aaron Rodgers, Packers, pre-June 1 trade: $19.3 million cap hit; post-June 1 trade: $26.9 million cap hit

• Russell Wilson, Seahawks, pre-June 1: $11 million cap hit; post-June 1: $24 million cap hit

• Jimmy Garoppolo, 49ers, pre-June 1: $25.6 million cap hit; post-June 1: $25.6 million cap hit

• Derek Carr, Raiders, pre-June 1: $19.9 million cap hit; post-June 1: $19.9 million cap hit

• Kirk Cousins, Vikings, pre-June 1: $35 million cap hit; post-June 1: $35 million cap hit

• Deshaun Watson, Texans, pre-June 1: $24.2 million cap hit; post-June 1: $35 million cap hit, plus three years left on his contract
    Outside of Watson, these options essentially have one year left on their current deals. Given his upside, cost and his team’s current trajectory, Wilson, who is under contract through 2023, makes the most sense. He was unhappy prior to the season, and Schefter reported Wilson would consider a trade to the Cowboys, Saints, Raiders or Bears. The Seahawks eventually smoothed things over, but at 3-8 and with a stint on injured reserve, Wilson’s season hasn’t gone according to plan and he could ask for a trade.

Like Wilson, Rodgers was also unhappy with his situation, but the Packers reworked his deal and voided the 2023 year, making 2022 the final year of his contract. However, Rodgers carries a $46.1 million charge against the Packers’ salary cap in 2022, guaranteeing the team would have to either move on from him or sign him to another extension. If another team trades for him, it would almost certainly rework his contract and give him new money and an extension. This season, his team is an NFC Super Bowl favorite, and he’s in the midst of another MVP-caliber season. But, never say never. Rodgers and Tomlin did a little flirting in the weeks around the Steelers' Week 4 game against the Packers, with each complimenting the other in news conferences and smiling at each other when Tomlin called a timeout to keep Rodgers from quick-snapping on the Steelers’ defense. Rodgers also talked about his appreciation for Pittsburgh on the Pat McAfee Show, further raising eyebrows. Still, Rodgers seems more content than he did a few months ago, making it less likely he winds up in black and gold.

Garoppolo, who began his career as a backup in New England, became a lame-duck quarterback the minute the San Francisco 49ers drafted Trey Lance No. 3 overall in May. He’s not as flashy as Rodgers or Wilson, but he’ll likely have a lower asking price than the top-tier options. Since helping the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2019 with 27 touchdowns to 13 interceptions, Garoppolo has been average at best. In an injury-shortened 2020 season, he had seven touchdowns to five interceptions, and this season, he has 13 touchdowns to six interceptions. Lance is the obvious future in San Francisco, making Garoppolo a prime trade target.

Two other tradable veteran quarterbacks to keep an eye on are Carr and Cousins, who both have one year left on their deals. Both the Raiders and the Vikings appear at a crossroads with their respective quarterbacks and coaching staffs. The Raiders (6-5) already fired Jon Gruden, while Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman are approaching the hot seat with the Vikings sitting at 5-6. If ownership decides to start fresh in either situation, the Steelers could make a play for Cousins or Carr, although Cousins is the most expensive of the bunch.

And, there’s Watson. He hasn’t played a game this season and has told the Houston Texans he intends never to play for them again and he would like to be traded. He also faces 22 civil lawsuits by women who accuse him of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior. A no-trade clause allows him control over a destination, if the Texans are willing to trade him. Despite a flurry of activity before the trade deadline, Watson stayed put. But, until the civil cases are resolved, Watson comes with numerous unknowns, including the possibility of NFL discipline pending the outcome of the league’s investigation.

Free agents
    Like the quarterbacks in the free-agent class, these options are most likely temporary fixes -- but are intriguing nonetheless. Trubisky, a former first-round pick by the Chicago Bears, is backing up Josh Allen in Buffalo on a one-year deal. His best season came in 2018 when he threw 24 touchdowns to 12 interceptions, and while his tenure as the second-overall pick was disappointing, he has the potential to rejuvenate his career in the right circumstance.

Once Washington’s fourth-string quarterback, Heinicke has been pretty solid as the Washington Football Team’s starter after Ryan Fitzpatrick went down. He even helped his team overtake a Tom Brady-led Tampa Bay Buccaneers team in Week 10. He’s under contract in 2022. Washington isn’t likely to part with him, but he’s worth keeping an eye on.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I made a thread at the start of the year about how the draft will not be an option. There's only one player (Pickett) who is first round caliber. The rest that are going in the first round are "projects for second and third round". But they'll obviously have teams reaching for them.

With having a 45+ million in cap space next year. We have it in our favor to go after a proven QB, as well as beef one of the o-line positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I got blasted with saying Rodgers. And he's still my favorite option. But honestly I think Cousins could thrive here like he did in Washington. But he would require another high end WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nice post

• Like Like x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    For me it's Pickett or pass. I don't watch much college football unless Pitt happens to be on so I may be bias but he looks like a true Sunday QB to me.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can't wait for the Michigan State game. His stock will rise or fall based on that game. Marino's senior year was not his best and it moved him further down the draft board. I'm guessing Pickett will get drafted higher then Dan did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I hope Howell and Corrall and Willis test through the roof and Pickett falls to us because of his age.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm actually hoping Pickett doesn't win the Heisman because if he does there is no way he falls to us in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Watson if his civil suits are settled and any league punishment determined would be my preference and I think would be Tomlins as well. I think Tomlin would stay here another 10 years if they land Watson.

Wilson would be my second choice followed by Rodgers.

I’m fine with any of those draft choices if they find the asking price too much for Watson, Wilson or Rodgers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If a QB isn't there in the 1st that they want maybe go for a trade. Carr might a bit intriguing. Jimmy G would get injured on the way to Pittsburgh.

Trading for Watson (whos troubles have not been rectified), Rodgers or Wilson will cost a plenty in picks and future picks.

Hard no for any of the free agent QB's

Pickett I have watched and I am impressed.

I do hope they draft one. Rudolph will then be starting I believe until said rookie takes the reins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He won't win the Heisman, but that might be good for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I do not see the Steelers trading away the farm to get a Wilson or even Rodgers.
    Plus not sure why these guys would want to come here with the line we have currently.

Weather we make the playoffs or not, I don't think we are going to be picking in the top part of this year's draft. Plus we have very little later round picks to move up and make a move from middle or later round to early in the round.

You guys are going to hate it, but they have faith in Mason Rudolph and truth be told, Mason is never going to be elite, he may never even be good, he's an average QB and an average QB can play in the NFL for a long time. He's probably a career back up, and you can make good money at that. See Matt Cassel, Mike Glennon, Josh McCown, those guys, that is what Mason Rudolph is.

I could see maybe a low tier Free Agent Guy none of which will work or be good long term solutions.

Guys like Jimmy Grappalo, Marcus Mariotta, Mitch Trubisky, maybe even Sam Darnold
    That will probably be some lone liner FA signing the Steelers make, in case, its all out horrible with Mason, and to bring someone to compete with Mason.

This draft isn't full of QB talent. A lot of people love Pickett and I get the love story, but he will probably be way gone before we pick. The other guys are total total crap shoots, but its always a crap shoot with college QBs.

Steelers need to focus the draft on improving the D-Line and O-Line, and Inside Linebacker positions. The biggest weakness and least depth and least amount of talent. Get this team loaded and make it a good running team, to make it easier on the QB. See NEW ENGLAND. They run it so well they just won a game with 3 pass attempts for their rookie QB. They play good defense and the run the ball well. That wins most football games, they aren't sexy and pretty but it wins dang games. That way in the 2023 season it be looking good for a new Rookie QB.

Need to improve running the ball and stopping the run. Used to be the standard Steelers way, now they can do little of either.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

If their looking for a quick rebound I agree and think Rodgers is the way to go until a really good young option appears. Or call me crazy but I think trubisky would maybe be worth a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Could maybe get mariota without selling the ranch and he’d probably do well in Canada’s scheme

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Again, people simply need to use Andrew Luck for reference on how not to build around a QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lol absolutely not

17. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Michigan State has a god awful pass defense. That game is unlikely to prove anything

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Either bring in Rodgers or Wilson or bring in a guy like Minshew to stop-gap for a season or two. If the Steelers can somehow land Carson Strong in the 2nd round, that would be great. But I wouldn't bet on it.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t agree. They would have signed him longer than a 1 year deal. I Think they know he is not a starter and will not go into next season with him in that roll.

If everything else fails, price too rich to bring in a veteran or draft doesn’t break their way, then maybe they have no choice but to start Rudolph but I don’t think that is what will happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah, even the front office can see he is not Ben's replacement. We lose the next 2 games and are out of playoff hunt I'd love to see them hand Dobbs the ball and see how he does. He may impress enough for the #2 spot. I think Landry Jones was ahead of him one year so I won't be expecting miracles.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs is on IR. Will be interesting to see what they do with him next season.

Would like to see Haskins get a few starts if they end up out of the playoffs. I don’t think he is the answer either but if nothing else, just to rule it out now for next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would not only draft Pickett, but I would also bring back Whipple as OC. Should I even mention, getting our previous oline coach back?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Munchak aint coming back unless it's the HC position and that won't happen either.

24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You don't have to worry about the Heisman, Young of Bama will get that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That 45 million
    Pickettt will be the first QB taken

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1